Dual Extruders Wrong Stepper Feeding on second section

When I print a multi material part The first extruder prints fine. Then when switching to the next hot end it does the offset and starts printing the next section but the first extruders motor turns.  I know the g code is fine because when I load the same code in another host it works fine. Just not in Repetier. When I manually feed the extruders from the manual tab it works fine. I am pulling my hair out on this one. I am using Slic3r (can't remember the version but it is the latest) and my hardware is a Smoothieboard. So when the g code calls T1 it still turns the T0 stepper. 

Comments

• Sending T1 should also switch motor moves to extruder 1. That is done inside firmware so smoothieware in your case, so you should check your config there. Sound slike you entered the wrong motor pins for second extruder, but I'm not so familar with that firmware.
  • I would agree with you about the Motor Pins, But the same g-code works in the other host. Also when I manually feed from the manual tab it works fine. So the pins must be configured properly.  Repetier must be doing something with the code. The guys on IRC say to just use the other host, but I like Repetier because I am always  upgrading, trying something new or building a new printer and Repetier gives you much better manual control as well as displaying the info you need at a glance.

Thanks for the response. I am not an expert but I am a PCB designer by trade and I have been into 3d printing for over 3 years and I have built 4 or 5 printers with numerous configurations. So I think that this is a real bug type of problem. The Smoothieboard guys don't support Repetier because it is not open source. But I think it good for both the Smoothieboard guys and Repetier that we get them working together.

• The host only send gcode, so it must be the commands that get send. In log you can enable commands to see what gets really send. I think in manual control it changes always to relative coordinates when sending moves. If sending a gcode it is send line by line with no modification.

When you say the other host works (which one btw), are you sending exactly the same gcode or does it slice independently creating a different code that make the difference?

You can make a small test script with commands how they should be and test it on both hosts and compare logs. There must somewhere a small difference explaining it.
  • The other host I am using is Pronterface PrintRun I was not sure if it was politic to mention it here. But good news, I guess it is good news I reinstalled both Repetier and Slic3r  and it appears to be working properly. The only reason I would not call it complete success is that we don't know what the problem was. The only thing that is not perfect is the display for the heaters. For the second hotend it does not ALWAYS display properly. I can watch the commands go by and it is correct on the console but on the display it does not always correlate.  If I set the temp to say... 210 I see on the console that it is heating up to 210. 
    But the slash does not toggle and the temp will not move until quite some time later. And also in the temperature curve tab The output graph does not work for either heater or the heated bed.  If we can figure out why that stuff is going on then I will say my machine is completely configured properly. Thanks for the help.

Bart
  • What is console and display for you? Display = LCD and console = Host?

In printer settings you could enable temperature logging and in general settings enable file logging. Then temperature responses would be written so we could analyze them. I guess the response is not conform with Repetier/Marlin temperature output. If I see what you get I might work out some changes to parse that also correctly. It may be that they do not output heater power at all. But more if you send me responses to M105 for your system so I can analyze the difference.