Compatibilty with QIDI XMAX2

Is Repetier 2.3.2 compatible with my QIDI XMAX2 printer? I have tried both Windows and Linux versions. I can get it to connect (well, it says connected) but, it doesn't actually print anything. I also tried Repetier Server. It would not connect at all using TCP/IP....:-(

Comments

• What firmware is it using?
    tcp will most likely not work, you should try usb connection. If it has a reprap compatible firmware that would work then.
  • Repetier said:
    What firmware is it using?
    tcp will most likely not work, you should try usb connection. If it has a reprap compatible firmware that would work then.
    It uses a version of Marlin firmware. I have tried the USB connection. It will connect via USB, but will not actually print anything. It never starts to print
  • Repetier said:
    It uses a version of Marlin firmware. I have tried the USB connection. It will connect via USB, but will not actually print anything. It never starts to print
    I have set the firmware selection to Autodetect. I did the same with the port. It's set to Auto. (I'm using Linux) But I know something is wrong, because it says the printer is connected. It isn't. The USB cable is not plugged in...in fact, the printer is not even turned on!
  • Repetier said:
    I have set the firmware selection to Autodetect. I did the same with the port. It's set to Auto. (I'm using Linux) But I know something is wrong, because it says the printer is connected. It isn't. The USB cable is not plugged in...in fact, the printer is not even turned on! As soon as I plugged the USB cable in, it automatically powered the printer on.

• Repetier said:
    I have set the firmware selection to Autodetect. I did the same with the port. It's set to Auto. (I'm using Linux) But I know something is wrong, because it says the printer is connected. It isn't. The USB cable is not plugged in...in fact, the printer is not even turned on! As soon as I plugged the USB cable in, it automatically powered the printer on. Is it possible for me to post a screenshot?

• Do not use autodetect. Power comes from usb that is quite often the case, but does not mean anything regarding connection.

In a terminal see all connections
    ls /dev/tty*

without usb plugged in and with plugged in. The one that is added is what you must select as port.
  • Repetier said:
    Do not use autodetect. Power comes from usb that is quite often the case, but does not mean anything regarding connection.

In a terminal see all connections
    ls /dev/tty*

without usb plugged in and with plugged in. The one that is added is what you must select as port.

• Ok, I've tried this. I have a USB modem. When I look at /dev/tty*, I see an entry for ttyACM0. I ssume this would be the port I want. So, if I unplug the modem, the port disappears. I assume this is what is supposed to happen.

So, I connect the QIDI printer and look again. This time, ttyACM0 does NOT show up in the list. So there appears to be some kind of communication issue. Even if I disconnect the cable, R. Host still shows up as being connected After slicing , it says it's printing, except it never actually prints anything. Could this be a defective cable? Or possibly a firmware bug?
  • Port is also often namen ttyUSBxxx. You can check serial ports easily
    ls -l /dev/serial/by-id
    shown all serial ports with device name.
    lsusb -a
    also shows connected usb devices where your printer must appear if cable works.
    If you see it in lsusb but not as serial it might be that the proper serial modules in linux is not loaded. Which depends on device name. With it you can google which module is required. Active modules can be seen with
    lsmod
    in my case it contains
    ch341                  16384  1
    usbserial              40960  3 ch341

for a Sidewinder printer.