Raspberry Pi Alternative

Given that pi's are basically unobtainium unless you want to pay absurd prices, is any work being done to run repetier server on one of the many alternative platforms to the rpi?  It would be really nice if we could get something that worked like the pi on hardware that costs what the pi used to...

Comments

• Repetier-Server works on nearly all alternatives - only condition is that they use a arm or intel chip and use a debian like linux (debian, raspbian, ubuntu, kubuntu, ...) and have at least 512MB (better 1GB) RAM.

The only thing is that we only provide a pi image which is Repetier-Server plus additional helper/configuration to get quickest start. With the alternatives you download the .deb package and install it with
    sudo dpkg -i packagefile
    and basic server is working. That you need to install what you want on top on your os, e.g. webcam server (see tutorial on our homepage) or starting chromium in kiosk mode with touchscreen gui.

Reason we have no image for these is that there are so many alternatives constantly changing and each needs a special kernel for the chipset/hardware while selling numbers are too low to justify all the extra work to provide 50 images in parallel and test them for each update.
  • Ok I ordered a le potato sounds like it should work just fine?
  • You mean this one:
    https://www.amazon.com/Libre-Computer-AML-S905X-CC-Potato-64-bit/dp/B074P6BNGZ?th=1

don't have it but looks fine with ubunti 22.04 support it is also using up to date linux. And they support raspbian 11 - wonder if our image would work on it. I mean the regular linux is the same anyway, question is just if the compiled kernel runs. So might worth to try our image first and if it starts it reduces work for own configuration.
  • Yes that's the one, super good price lol and I saw it supports raspian so I too wonder if your image will "just work".  I'll give it a go, not like it can hurt anything.  If not, I'll have to do it manually which based on what you wrote above shouldn't be a big deal.

I'll post back my results, but if your image doesn't work on it, might be worth creating one for it since it seems to be the closest thing to a pi and has an amazing price point.  Would be a great alternate option!  Board comes tomorrow so we shall see.  This will be my 4th Repetier Server device, how many does my license allow for?
  • AH I see only 5 activations at once.  I just bought another pro license using your Christmas discount so I'm good for another 5 so I can play with these Le Potato gizmos.  I was able to get repetier server installed on this one using their Raspian image and then downloading and installing the Repetier server deb file you have.  I still need to mess with the web server stuff as it requires a port specified right now, but it definitely works.  Unfortunately these don't come with internal wifi so I ordered a tiny USB wifi adapter so I can get it set up via wireless but overall for $35 these are great little units!  Good alternative to the Raspberry Pi that are way too expensive right now!
  • At least pi foundation posted that in second quater 2023 raspberries will be available in any quantity again.
  • Repetier said:
    At least pi foundation posted that in second quater 2023 raspberries will be available in any quantity again.
    watch me hold my breath, there is ZERO excuse for the current situation other than blatant profiteering.