Raspberry PI SSD Image

The downloadable image for the Raspberry PI works perfect on microSD cards. I tried using Raspberry PI Imager to write that image to 120GB SSD but it fails to boot up, just cycles endlessly in a loop forever.

Is it possible to create a bootable image we can write to an SSD (PI 3 or PI 4) and then use it instead of the microSD cards?

Currently I used the Raspberry PI Imager to write the 32 Bit OS to the SSD, booted up, then downloaded armHF linux version and installed it, set it up for Kiosk mode and it works. Just thought there might be some others would be able to get an SSD image to make it easier than all the steps I went through to make it work.

Mel

Comments

• wabbitguy said:
    The downloadable image for the Raspberry PI works perfect on microSD cards. I tried using Raspberry PI Imager to write that image to 120GB SSD but it fails to boot up, just cycles endlessly in a loop forever.

Is it possible to create a bootable image we can write to an SSD (PI 3 or PI 4) and then use it instead of the microSD cards?

Currently I used the Raspberry PI Imager to write the 32 Bit OS to the SSD, booted up, then downloaded armHF linux version and installed it, set it up for Kiosk mode and it works. Just thought there might be some others would be able to get an SSD image to make it easier than all the steps I went through to make it work.

Mel
    I agree, after destroying the SD card - suddenly I want to switch to SSD and have peace of mind I have the same problem, I booted from USB from a Kingston SSD, but when uploading the image Repetier server everything crashes - through PI IMAGER the file can be uploaded but does not boot.
    Thank all for help.
    VT