Repetier Server doesn't see connected USB devices

Repetier Server doesn't see my printers connected over USB ports. It is installed on Rockchip (Tronsmart Draco Aw80 - allwinner 80 - with old armhf cpu) device with Ubuntu (14 version).

I tried to add repetierserver user to the "admin" group and nothing have changed. Then I've added that user to the "root" group after this RepetierService failed to start. It got back online when I removed it from the "root" group. 
What could I do to fix that?

Troubleshooting log says these:
[27.11.2022 20:33:40] : Execute error response:df: '/run/user/1000/gvfs': Permission denied df: '/media/linaro/Volumn1': Permission denied
[27.11.2022 20:33:40] : While executing:/var/lib/Repetier-Server/scripts/hardware_info
[27.11.2022 20:34:38] : Execute error response:df: '/run/user/1000/gvfs': Permission denied df: '/media/linaro/Volumn1': Permission denied
[27.11.2022 20:34:38] : While executing:/var/lib/Repetier-Server/scripts/hardware_info
[27.11.2022 20:35:38] : Execute error response:df: '/run/user/1000/gvfs': Permission denied df: '/media/linaro/Volumn1': Permission denied
[27.11.2022 20:35:38] : While executing:/var/lib/Repetier-Server/scripts/hardware_info
[27.11.2022 20:36:39] : Execute error response:df: '/run/user/1000/gvfs': Permission denied df: '/media/linaro/Volumn1': Permission denied
[27.11.2022 20:36:39] : While executing:/var/lib/Repetier-Server/scripts/hardware_info
[27.11.2022 20:37:39] : While executing:/var/lib/Repetier-Server/scripts/hardware_info
[27.11.2022 20:37:39] : While executing:/var/lib/Repetier-Server/scripts/hardware_info
[27.11.2022 20:38:39] : While executing:/var/lib/Repetier-Server/scripts/hardware_info
[27.11.2022 20:38:39] : While executing:/var/lib/Repetier-Server/scripts/hardware_info
[27.11.2022 20:39:39] : While executing:/var/lib/Repetier-Server/scripts/hardware_info
[27.11.2022 20:39:39] : While executing:/var/lib/Repetier-Server/scripts/hardware_info
[27.11.2022 20:40:39] : While executing:/var/lib/Repetier-Server/scripts/hardware_info
[27.11.2022 20:40:39] : While executing:/var/lib/Repetier-Server/scripts/hardware_info
[27.11.2022 20:41:58] : While executing:/var/lib/Repetier-Server/scripts/hardware_info

Comments

• I have also changed permissions on the "/var/lib/Repetier-Server/scripts/hardware_info" file first to 755 then to 777. Nothing changed.
  • UPDATE: 
    I've noticed that in /dev/ folder device names (all those tty0 to tty63 and so on) that have owner root:tty or root:dialout are visible to repetier server but my printer file (usbdev1.4) had root:root as an owner. BUT changing it to root:tty didn't help.
    Also, visible ones they had "crw--w----" permissions but giving 755 permissions (it became "crwxr-xr-x" after that) to that file didn't make it visible in the "ports" list in the printer config page. Even 777 didn't work.
  • Note: after rebooting it changes back to "crw-------" and root:root
  • Your usb rules say that these files chould only have user root permissions 0600. See
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/112568/how-do-i-allow-a-non-default-user-to-use-serial-device-ttyusb0
    second answer might be what causes your linux to only allow root user access. If that is change dto include group and group is what repetierserver is member of it should work.

Not perfect, but also working is if you run  Repetier-Server as root. Change /lib/system/systemd/RepetierServer.service to use user root instead. Updates will reset that setting of course!

THe hardware_info issue is that your directory /run/user/1000/gvfs is not readable by repetieruser. If it shows up in bolt menu normal with 10 entries you can just ignore it. It is just one drive you can not see free space from. This file has no relevance and is only informational determining the bolt icon menu content. YOu can even delete the file and remove the bolt icon with it.
  • Thank you for quick answer.
    I tried the solution from the askubuntu.com that you kindly provided, it changed the permissions (now it looks like this crw-rw-rw-  1 root root    189,   8 Nov 28 16:22 usbdev1.9), but repetier still doesn't see the devise.

The "not perfect" solution didn't work because I couldn't find the file you've specified (RepetierServer.service) 
    I've even searched for it with this command: sudo find / -name RepetierServer.service. 
    I'm ok with the not perfect solution if it would work.
  • The service is in /lib/systemd/system wrong order of having d appended to system. You also need to reload daemons and restart service for this. When you run 
    sudo service RepetierServer restart
    it will show the command for reloading - always forget it.

Why do you think usbdev1.9 i sthe correct device? Never seen that name as serial port before. Better see under /dev/serial/by-id or by-path for them. There all serial devices for printers get a link to the real device, but it normally bette rto use the link in case you have more serial devices and then detecting order determines the real name.
  • I figured it out (that the path is /lib/systemd/system). There's no such file.
    all I have there is:
    alsa-restore.service  console-kit-daemon.service              poweroff.target.wants  sysinit.target.wants
    alsa-state.service    console-kit-log-system-restart.service  reboot.target.wants    systemd-udev-settle.service
    alsa-store.service    console-kit-log-system-start.service    rsync.service          systemd-udev-trigger.service
    alsa-utils.service    console-kit-log-system-stop.service     rsyslog.service        systemd-udevd-control.socket
    anacron.service       dbus.service                            shutdown.target.wants  systemd-udevd-kernel.socket
    avahi-daemon.service  dbus.socket                             sockets.target.wants   systemd-udevd.service
    avahi-daemon.socket   dbus.target.wants                       ssh.service            udev.service
    basic.target.wants    halt.target.wants                       ssh.socket             udisks2.service
    bluetooth.service     multi-user.target.wants                 ssh@.service           wpa_supplicant.service
    colord.service        polkitd.service                         sudo.service

when I do: sudo service RepetierServer restart
    it says: 
    * Stopping Repetier-Server rsd
    * Starting Repetier-Server rsd

Actually, I'm not sure if it is the device I need, it increments every time I reconnect the printer. So next time I unplug and plug the printer it should be usbdev2.0, next 2.1 and so on...

• Ubuntu 14 might be old, check if there is a file named Repetier... in /etc/init.d - if it is no official systemd system it might be the old system.

Did you check /dev/serial/... 

it might be that you do not see it because your linux is not compiled with serial device support. I know at least the default NanoPI linux does not have it compiled in.

On my pi I get with
    lsmod
    these modules:
    Module                  Size  Used by
    cp210x                 24576  0
    ch341                  16384  0
    usbserial              40960  2 cp210x,ch341

Most important usbserial I guess. ch341 and cp210x are the drivers of printers connected and used by usbserial.
  • Did you check /dev/serial/... 
    Yes, I did, there's no such directory:(

Repetier said:
    Ubuntu 14 might be old, check if there is a file named Repetier... in /etc/init.d - if it is no official systemd system it might be the old system.

Yes, I've already found it there. I've changed all users to root, now htop shows that repetierserver is running with root privileges.

this is my lsmod output:
    Module                  Size  Used by
    pvrsrvkm              442746  0
    dc_drmfbdev            16389  1 pvrsrvkm
    bcmdhd                598110  0

This is what I get on the usbdev1.20 (old usbdev1.9)
    same resulf for "udevadm info -q all -a /dev/usbdev1.20" and "udevadm info -q all -a /dev/bus/usb/001/020"

Udevadm info starts with the device specified by the devpath and then
    walks up the chain of parent devices. It prints for every device
    found, all possible attributes in the udev rules key format.
    A rule to match, can be composed by the attributes of the device
    and the attributes from one single parent device.

looking at device '/devices/platform/sunxi-ehci.1/usb1/1-1/1-1.1/1-1.1.1':
        KERNEL=="1-1.1.1"
        SUBSYSTEM=="usb"
        DRIVER=="usb"
        ATTR{bDeviceSubClass}=="00"
        ATTR{bDeviceProtocol}=="00"
        ATTR{devpath}=="1.1.1"
        ATTR{idVendor}=="1a86"
        ATTR{speed}=="12"
        ATTR{bNumInterfaces}==" 1"
        ATTR{bConfigurationValue}=="1"
        ATTR{bMaxPacketSize0}=="8"
        ATTR{busnum}=="1"
        ATTR{devnum}=="20"
        ATTR{configuration}==""
        ATTR{bMaxPower}==" 98mA"
        ATTR{authorized}=="1"
        ATTR{bmAttributes}=="80"
        ATTR{bNumConfigurations}=="1"
        ATTR{maxchild}=="0"
        ATTR{bcdDevice}=="0264"
        ATTR{avoid_reset_quirk}=="0"
        ATTR{quirks}=="0x0"
        ATTR{version}==" 1.10"
        ATTR{urbnum}=="8"
        ATTR{removable}=="unknown"
        ATTR{idProduct}=="7523"
        ATTR{bDeviceClass}=="ff"
        ATTR{product}=="USB Serial"

this is output of the lsusb
    Bus 001 Device 021: ID 0951:1666 Kingston Technology //my memstick
    Bus 001 Device 005: ID 046d:c316 Logitech, Inc. HID-Compliant Keyboard 
    Bus 001 Device 020: ID 1a86:7523 QinHeng Electronics HL-340 USB-Serial adapter //the printer

This are files inside my memstick.
    linaro@allwinner:~$ sudo mount /dev/sda1 /media/kingston
    linaro@allwinner:~$ ls /media/kingston/
    A80_Lubuntu_20141127-2.img  Draco AW80_Ubuntu_20150204.img  System Volume Information

As I understand it's not the repetier, it's the system issue.
    Thank you very much for your help! I really really appreciate it.
    Pity that I didn't succeed. I have to print heavy high poly models and repetier installed on my orangepi zero freezes very often. When it doesn't freeze it is able to control only one of my printers (when I print high poly objects), the second one just barely moves and then stays inactive.
  • FYI
    I've found this solution Solved: Ender 3 USB connection issue on Ubuntu 22.04 : octoprint (reddit.com) I have the same printer (Ender 3 V2) but I don't have the mentioned package (BRLTTY) so it didn't help me as well...
  • Someone said that it could also be modemmanager , but I don't have it as well as the brltty.
  • BRLTTY and modelmanager are apps accessing serial devices, so they could interfere.

But I'm now pretty sure your linux kernel is lacking serial device support. It sees the usb device which you already identified, but without serial driver you get no /dev/serial/... and no /dev/ttyASB... or /dev/ttyACM... and you can not connect. Now ubuntu is 14 is around 8 years old - did you check if there is a newer version available for your board? Maybe that has serial support active, which is the easy solution. The other is to compile your own kernel but that is not always easy. If you have settings for the current it would be just changing driver selection and recompile. 
  • edited November 2022
    But what about the memory stick? It recognizes it and reads the data stored inside the memory stick.
    If there would be no serial support, could it still do that?

About the newer version: Ubuntu 14 is the latest version available on the companiy's (Tronsmart) website.
  • A memory stick is no serial device. That is a different usb class (mass storage) and is handled independent of serial communication.

I see it is advertised as streaming box which might explain serial support missing. You might google if you find a linux image for the rockchip being used. Even if it does not know the display driver (maybe it does) you get at least a linux with serial and network with some luck.
  • Thank you for your support. I have never seen such friendly attitude. I'm definitely willing to stick with repetier software just because they have you.

I'm planning to separate my printers. One on orangepizero and another one on raspberrypi zero. I hope that raspberry pi zero (first edition) has enough performance for that.
    By the way the only thing I don't like in repetier server software is that it resumes the print only after short disconnection.
  • Pi zero works, but you should only run one printer and not do to much else during print. It is the slowest of all pi with only one processor for all jobs.

> the only thing I don't like in repetier server software is that it resumes the print only after short disconnection.

What do you mean? Timeouts or real disconnections due to linux disconnecting usb? If printer has timeouts due to communication errors and supports busy (in console enable ack and run G4 S10 and see if you see a busy message) you can reduce timeout to 3s.
  • It doesn't allow me to resume print if it disconnects from the printer or after a blackout.
  • For disconnect due to usb disconnect less then 10 seconds you can mark this in connection settings (Continue print after fast reconnect) - but only if reconnect does not cause a printer reset so it looses it's data.

For a general continue to be possible use the rescue system. But test it first if it works, e.g. printer does no extra moves on it's own and also maybe do a preheat before moving/homing so nozzle does not stick to old print.