WebCam: Works on PI itself, not if on HUB

edited April 14 in General
I have a little problem...
I'm currently trying to run the printers and webcams via a USB3 HUB because I'm slowly running out of ports on the PI and I'm also fed up with this mess of cables on the side.
Everything works so far, except for the webcam.
The camera works directly on the PI, whether USB or USB3 (after replugging it, of course with a new assignment; it's just not Windows ^^). But as soon as I connect it to the HUB, it's over.
I've now tried three different USB3 hubs... Always the same.

It's probably a Linux-specific problem... Is there any way to solve this?

Greetz
Micha

Comments

• I have no experience with usb3 hubs and pi/linux, but as a test you can login over ssh and run
    lsusb
    or
    lsusb -t

to see all usb devices detected by linux. Then check if you can see the webcam as device and also if you can see the usb3 hub. Best start without both so you know what was added to list is your test device.

Since the webcam works without hub I guess it is the hub. Try a usb 2 hub instead which so far worked for me without problems.
  • edited April 15
    Yep, ty for the hint.
    None of the three HUBs want to work with the WebCAM. All HUBs are recognized by the system, such as a USB stick connected to the HUB for testing purposes, but the camera is not; at no one! That's weird!
    I'll try again later, connect the HUBs to the USB2 and see what changes (or not).
    Unfortunately, I just have to straighten the PI's SSD first. I got the wrong plug and pulled out the SSD while running instead of the HUB... Can't boot anymore... :#

• CBX_Micha said:
    Unfortunately, I just have to straighten the PI's SSD first. I got the wrong plug and pulled out the SSD while running instead of the HUB... Can't boot anymore... :#
    Fu** Seems that I have to completely reinstall Repetier server. File system is fixed (via another Linux-system) but I got init.rst panic messages.
    I will create an image of the SSD and start from scratch... :'(
  • Since I had to reinstall and set up the system today, I came across a question that I had suppressed/forgotten the first time.
    This has probably already been discussed somewhere in a thread that I can't find...
    When setting up a printer (Marlin), RS supposedly asks the printer for the settings regarding print bed size, speed, etc., but this obviously doesn't work with Marlin. Therefore you have to enter everything yourself.
    And that's exactly where I have my problems, because in many places it's not clear which setting from Marlin should be transferred to which point in RS, as the names are often significantly different and can therefore be misleading.
    Example: Printer Settings/General/Manual Control.
    In Marlin the following is defined for the bed itself...
    #define X_BED_SIZE 235
    #define Y_BED_SIZE 235
    #define X_MIN_POS -2.6
    #define Y_MIN_POS -17.5
    #define Z_MIN_POS 0
    #define X_MAX_POS (X_BED_SIZE + (X_MIN_POS * -1))
    #define Y_MAX_POS (Y_BED_SIZE + ((Y_MIN_POS * -1) / 2))
    #define Z_MAX_POS 205
    ...and for the speed...
    #define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE { 250, 250, 60, 100 }

I adopted this data for RS. However, I'm not sure if that's what it means...

Of course it would be great if there was a grabber as an external application or in RS, to which you could throw the configuration.h and configuration_adv.h as fodder and enter the values from them correctly in RS. It would also have the advantage that if you make changes in Marlin you can't forget to add them to RS or transfer them incorrectly...
  • In General->Manual Control you enter what you can reach position wise - [XZY]_(MIN|MAX)_POS. In printer shape you set on which area you have a bed below. Having extrusions outside this area will lead to warning before a print if it was stored before.

Parsing header files is out of scope. It is a programming language and can be quite complex if you do not just add values after the #define statements. It could be computations with other macros, ...

Would be great if we could ask marlin especially since many do not have config files anyway. Speeds can be queried from eeprom in many cases, but do not see the areas.
  • edited April 16
    > In General->Manual Control...
    Ok, then I didn't really understand it. In the print area, RS had taken over the data that I had entered in General/Manual Control and of course complained.
    I have now corrected the print area and left the manual area as is.
    Would you mind taking a look at the screenshot and comparing it with the MARLIN settings above to see if I understand it now? I'm also not sure if I have to use global or local coordinates...
    https://steamradio.de/3dp/RS-MARLIN.jpg

> Parsing header files is out of scope.
    Yes, you're probably right. Every firmware does this differently and it would certainly take a lot of effort to do this for everyone, even if I don't really know anything about programming.

>Would be great if we could ask marlin...
    That would be a great thing if all developers of the different firmwares (Marlin, Clipper, Repetier, ...) could agree on a common command that could be used from any end application (RS, Octo, Vura, PS, ...) and offers all the physical data on construction volumes, offsets, temperatures, speeds and accelerations.

• ... takes longer ... I can't activate the touch screen anymore while using the same config.txt as before... Anything have changed... I start over :s
  • Latest image is based on bookworm which is fairly new. Maybe old image was based on older raspbian. Especially important since video driver is new since bullseye.

Setting in image make sense. Bed is always inside the moveable area as it must be reachable plus have bed below. Looks correct.
  • ... just back with the Dog. Before, I have disabled the display autodetect and define it manually. That was the 1st strike. The 2nd one is that the handling of the serial ports are changed in bookworm so they don't see the touch. After changing some by try&error now it works again. Just creating an ISO of the SSD; the next fault comes for sure B)

Ok, many, many thanx for the examination. The only thing I not know is the different between "global" and "local" coordinates. I don't know how I have to interpret that...

• Difference happens when you use G92 to change position. Global is as if you never had G92 so adding offset while lokal coordinates are measured from G92 defined position. Normally for printers this is the same. Only when you use it as milling device or laser engraver it gets changed often to adjust to material position.
  • edited April 16
    Ahhhh! Ok, now I get it. Thanx for the Explanation; then it makes sense B)

BTW: I'm cloning the SSD to HDD right now. The SSD have more then 8 defective sectors and goes to silicon heaven not so far in the future. Can be that this was the initial fault of the trouble I have the last days. Happy to find a 2,5" Seagate FireCuda with 2tb in my this&that grabbing box...

• Ok, next thing...
    I'm not able to set the WLAN country in RS. I have set it via console and raspy-config but it will be ignored. The red banner in /Global->Network/Time/ won't go and isn't also clickable to set the country from this point...
  • edited April 17
    ... hmmm ... time to edit post gone...

Log say this:

[17.04.2024 13:54:23] : Execute error response:sudo: unable to resolve host SV-REPETIER-PI: Temporary failure in name resolution
    [17.04.2024 13:54:23] : While executing:/usr/bin/sudo /usr/local/Repetier-Setup/bin/manageWifiAccess scan
    [17.04.2024 13:54:23] : Execute error response:sudo: unable to resolve host SV-REPETIER-PI: Temporary failure in name resolution
    [17.04.2024 13:54:23] : While executing:/usr/bin/sudo /usr/local/Repetier-Setup/bin/manageWifiAccess listConnections
    [17.04.2024 13:54:23] : While executing:/usr/bin/sudo /usr/local/Repetier-Setup/bin/manageWifiAccess regions
    [17.04.2024 13:54:23] : While executing:/usr/bin/sudo /usr/local/Repetier-Setup/bin/manageWifiAccess channels
    [17.04.2024 13:54:23] : While executing:/usr/bin/sudo /usr/local/Repetier-Setup/bin/manageWifiAccess timezones
    [17.04.2024 13:54:24] : Execute error response:sudo: unable to resolve host SV-REPETIER-PI: Temporary failure in name resolution
    [17.04.2024 13:54:24] : While executing:/usr/bin/sudo /usr/local/Repetier-Setup/bin/manageWifiAccess info
    [17.04.2024 13:54:28] : Execute error response:sudo: unable to resolve host SV-REPETIER-PI: Name or service not known
    [17.04.2024 13:54:28] : While executing:/usr/bin/sudo /usr/local/Repetier-Setup/bin/manageWifiAccess info

... and boot.log ...
    /scripts/local-premount/firstboot: 11: /scripts/local-premount/firstboot: grep: not found
    /scripts/local-bottom/imager_fixup: 13: /scripts/local-bottom/imager_fixup: grep: not found

... and syslog ...

2024-04-17T14:00:02.747514+02:00 SV-REPETIER-PI systemd-sysctl[282]: Couldn't write '1' to 'kernel/unprivileged_userns_clone', ignoring: No such file or directory
    2024-04-17T14:00:02.747591+02:00 SV-REPETIER-PI systemd-sysctl[282]: Couldn't write '0' to 's/protected_symlinks', ignoring: No such file or directory
    2024-04-17T14:00:03.861716+02:00 SV-REPETIER-PI firstRun[591]: Error for wireless request "Set Power Management" (8B2C) :
    2024-04-17T14:00:03.862698+02:00 SV-REPETIER-PI firstRun[591]:     SET failed on device wlan0 ; No such device.

That was at every single new installation and won't go away... Ok, it's running so far, but errors makes me no sleep...

• The warning is no button, you need to go to Global Settings->Network/Time->Connection Settings->Region to be able to change it.

What device is SV-REPETIER-PI - new server image name or other device. It is strange that you have no wlan0 device. Does
    sudo iwconfig
    show it? The boot errors suggest that something with wifi is not working as expected and not having wlan0 is surely a problem here.
  • ... meanwhile, it seems to work. I'm just finished with the new SSD and now I'm perplexed that it was gone ?!? Time for the Ghostbusters... grrrr

wlan0 is there now, just for fallback; it's connected via LAN. Why that isn't show here for eth0 is also a miracle...
    root@SV-REPETIER-PI:~# iwconfig
    lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11 Mode:Master Tx-Power=31 dBm
    Retry short limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
    Power Management:off

So at the moment it looks like that the bunch is still working, except (again) https://forum.repetier.com/discussion/11659/sending-printjob-from-orcaslicer-not-possible-http-404-requested-file-not-found#latest

• CURA connect solved from behind through the eye ;)