Very strange Z axis problem!

I have a custom built reprap that I have recently installed an inductive probe on. I got auto bed levelling working but my motors are too underpowered for the constant motion and so I have just been trying to use the probe as a min endstop until I upgrade the motors. My problem is that it works perfectly when i try to print a basic calibration cube (excellent first layer height good adhesion all in all very good) but as soon as i try to print a different model the z axis stops 3-4 mm above the bed (where the probe triggers) and prints from there. No other changes at all, I have tried with 3 other models besides the cube and all of them did the same thing.
It seems to me that for some reason somehow when i change the model it is affecting the ALWAYS_CHECK_ENDSTOPS 0 setting (I have triple checked the firmware to make sure I set this correctly). Anyone have any idea what my problem could be?

Comments

• Is homing procedure the same in both test models?

Only with z probe pin = z min pin homing will go down z probe height when triggering, otherwise it will just stop there as z min endstop normally triggers at z=0.