Object Position Menu Gone 1.0.4

Help!  Just loaded 1.0.4 and not seeing a menu to manually enter and display object coordinates.  Hopefully there is an option to enable coordinate entry. Old GUI with full object coordinates and rotation was just fine.  Why take a step backwards and change it?  Please don't tell me it is gone.... Is there a Classic View? :(

Comments

• You can see coordinates, if you hit the gear icon on the right side, but you can not change it. Why would one need to enter them? No other host software does have it and I don't know why someone should need it. But if you have a good reason ...
  • Uninstalled 1.0.4 and went back to 0.95 -pretty painless since I took the heads up on the 1.0.4 install notes to save off the old registry settings for 0.95.

0.95>>object placement, clicking on each object in the Name/Mesh/Collision Table, displays fully editable table of Translation/Scale/Rotation.  So this is example of host software that supports this capability. Repetier was just more advanced than other host software.

Currently, I put down a 150mm wide piece of Kapton and paint it with ABS juice and then just step to a new free spot for each print  -seems like a mechanism for entering object coordinates is needed. 

Other reason is sometimes you can just barely fit an object on a piece of Kapton, but most print beds do not have a grid for accurate positioning.  In this case, put down the Kapton as parallel as possible, and then move the hot end to edge of the Kapton, record the position, and adjust the object origin position accordingly.  I find it very difficult to position two pieces of Kapton side by side without leaving a seam.

General comment is the look and feel of the old GUI was was much more functional.  In the new GUI I have to click to enter the rotation mode.  Old GUI the editable info was just displayed; why add an extra level of abstraction?  why  is the new GUI not a step backwards?  were users requesting to hide the object info and to make it non-editable? this is not a cell phone app.  sorry for the rant....

btw all the hard work is appreciated.....thanks.

• We added better support for multiple extruders, which needs more space and some users are still using small displays. So we needed to reduce the space used and for this, which is why you now have to select the rotate entry to enter values.

Using the right mouse button you can quite good position objects and thats enough for 99,9% of the use cases. One grid line is 10mm to help positioning. Maybe we add some info while moving in the future or even exact center positions editable in the info panel..
  • yes........accepting the small display limitation and the multiple extruder support......

Please consider adding a GUI Translate button, between the rotate object and cut buttons.  Code already exists in 0.95 to real time update XYZ position in dialog boxes as objects are moved with mouse.  We would also have the option of typing in a location.  Not as elegant or informative as 0.95, but at least we're not removing functionality.

Also consider an enhancement from 0.95 that would allow display/positioning of a group of objects.  1.0.5 and 0.95 do allow dragging a selected group of objects with the mouse, but it would be very helpful to allow the "new" Translate button to be active when a group of objects is selected.  The actual displayed XYZ number doesn't matter as long as the metric is consistent.   Could be position of first object selected or min XYZ or centroid.  Usage model for this is I have a ratty piece of 150mm Kapton on my bed.  I keep reusing it by adding ABS juice until there are too many holes, and then move to a new location.  I know the size of my print, so I'd like to apply an offset.  - Standard mode of operation.

It would be really neat if heated bed suppliers put a ruled 10mm grid on the graphics instead of the moronic message that the bed may be hot.  If that became common place, we'd want to see the same kind of numbered ruling on the bed grid in Repetier. 
  • To be able to move parts dimensionally is a huge benefit. I was so let down to see it removed. With the additional multi-extruder capabilities it is even more useful. I still have not seen a slicer create a good support material. Trying to import drafted support material and locate it correctly is a chore. Interconnecting STLs in a multicolor part is worse. We have all this control over multi extruders but it is only practical for a single material part with different perimiter and infill extruders. Parts being printed and printer capabilities keep getting more complicated. It is essential that pieces of parts are located exactly where they go.

Please tell me that there is a revision coming out very soon with this ability again.
  • Exact positioning is included in 1.0.6. It is only a bit hidden. You need to select left the arrows with the car. Then you get coordinate positioning for the selected part in the right.
  • Exact positioning is included in 1.0.6. It is only a bit hidden. You need to select left the arrows with the car. Then you get coordinate positioning for the selected part in the right.
    Not sure I understand what this means...  Can you shed further light ???

Thanks a lot.  BTW, great work !!!
  • I mean the icons left to the graphic display. There is a double arrow with car that is for object positioning. Selecting it shows on the right input fields for exact values.
  • I mean the icons left to the graphic display. There is a double arrow with car that is for object positioning. Selecting it shows on the right input fields for exact values.
    Thanks a lot!!!

Never really noticed the "double arrow with car" icon before (silly me...).  Am used to right-clicking on the object and moving it directly.

Appreciate the clarification.  This will be very useful for dual extrusion uses, which I am starting to experiment.
  • For dual extrusion all you need is to drag the files on each other to group them. This will position them to the same origin so distance is normally as needed. Then select the right extruder for each file and you are done.