Changing stepper_high_delay

I'm using a RAMPS 1.4, and have tried uploading the firmware v0.92.8 and using Repetier host v1.6.2 on both Linux and Windows. It seems my stepper motors require around 1ms delay. They work smoothly with this test code http://reprap.org/wiki/RAMPS_1.4#RAMPS_1.4_test_code where it sets the step pin to high, uses delay(1), sets them to low and loops again.

With Repetier, they'll rarely budge and just make a whining sound. Setting STEPPER_HIGH_DELAY to 1000 in Configuration.h allows them to move, but causes Repetier Host to print things like
Resend:37
Resend:41
Resend:57
Error:expected line 57 got 58
Resend:62
Error:expected line 62 got 63
Movements of 0.1 are also around the same as movements of 1.
Is there some preference I should be changing, or a value to put in the EEPROM? Or should I be changing the delay in a different way?

Comments

•  STEPPER_HIGH_DELAY to 1000 means 1ms = max. 1000 steps per second and will block most time so starnge things will happen. That is simply overkill killing everything. Try 2 as some DRV drivers require 1.7us delay. Arduino is slow with changing pins so adding 1us is slower.

Also check in eeprom seetings if steps per mm ist correct.
  • I'm gonna have to conclude that there's a hardware issue, I didn't realize that delay amount was so far outside the expected range and it wont budge whether the test code is at 2 or 500us (using delayMicroseconds). Thanks for the help though, and thanks for making the software!