Which Repetier to use?

Hello
Have been using repetier-Host with a solidoodle2 for years and am totally sold on it. 
I just purchased a CTC dual extruder that uses ReplicatorG for slicing and printing.

RepetierHost will connect with the CTC, but will not control it yet.
In the support pages I read about baud rate or arduino refresh but the CTC uses it's own firmware ?

Will contribute $ with some assurance that the Repetier suite will eventually use slic3r and control the CTC printer.
Thanks
Stuart

Comments

• My guess is that this printer uses the Makerbot communication format which no repetier product speaks. So we can not communicate with that printer.
  • RepG has no gcode (toolpath) viewing and I've become dependent on this feature.

Would converting this printer to a format that repetier can communicate with be very difficult/expensive?
    Thanks
  • Please advise which replacement ramps and board might work best with repetier.
    A link to a good guide about converting a makerbot would be nice too.
    Went ahead and made a paypal $20 contribution today. Thanks in advance.
  • The main problem normally is identifying all components and wires. You need to know thermistor types or if they are thermocouples and whcih type to configre firmware correctly. Motors are less a problem and heaters are just powered elements. For motors/heaters the voltage and power consumption is the thing to look for. Once you know that you can decide what you need. Display will be hardest part I think as it has so many wires and there are so many types. Check

if the board is supported. Take one with at least 256MB flash or you might get trouble since firmware gets larger every release. RAMPS 1.4 is a popular choice which is quite cheap. If connectors suffice it is ok, but it has only 2 extruder heater outputs and then no fan outputs are available. Other boards have thermistor support or more outputs if needed. Due based boards like RADDS with 1/128 stepper will give you least noise and high precision positioning (ok depends also on mechancis and motors) with higher possible stepper speed (as it is 10 times faster then 8 bit boards). RADDS also has 5V output for displays also it is a 3.3v board.

Depending on the board you can also use that if it has a arduino bootloader.

But be warned that you need quite some time to convert a printer with unknown hardware. It's no rocket sience, but you need to know the components or replace unknown components as well. When you replace display and eventually thermistors it will be quite easy if you have enough place to rewire everything.
  • It would work for 2 extruders without fan or 1 extruder plus fan. You should be able to reuse endstops of your printer. So all you are missing is thermistor type. Just use 1 (epcos) which is quite widespread if you are unsure. If you see temps. deviate too much try an other or adjust printing temperature instead.
  • Expand-ability is preferable, 2 extruders and a (print?) fan, plus 6 endstops and a spare or two. Later upgrade to step drivers with 1/128 RADDS/RAPS(?)...

Is there a # or type or name for a shield with such capabilities? 

Have many of your users interfaced with the dual or combo boards, DUE and shield in 1 board?

I'd like to share (if knew how) a pic of the CTC printer board to see if the connectors look standard.

• Also, will the rotary encoder on a display (like in the kit link above) replace the  (5) "Menu Select" buttons on my CTC printer?
  • For repetier menu you need left/right and click which is what rotary encoder does. Not sure what CTC does use.

For pictures you could put it in your public dropbox or on a temp. hosting service like pastebin.

RADDS/RAPS is a nice combo as it has high speed plus many sockets and outputs. Others also have many outputs like Azteeg X3 for a AVR board. Many others will also work. Just check in our list if it is supported and if it has at least 256MB flash (no sanguino/teensy variants).
  • Hello
    So I decided to put the ramps 1.4 kit on my dead solidoodle2 first.
    Marlin uploaded to the mega, Repetier host says it's connected but there is no manual printer control.
    The display from the ramps kit illuminates but is unresponsive.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks
  • Apparently (duh) I left out the library for the display, hopefully that will fix above issue..
  • Hi...i am a new user here. I would suggest you should take one with at least 256MB flash or you might get trouble since firmware gets larger every release. RAMPS 1.4 is a popular choice which is quite cheap. If connectors suffice it is ok, but it has only 2 extruder heater outputs and then no fan outputs are available. Other boards have thermistor support or more outputs if needed.