Add reprapdiscount full graphics smart controller support for RADDS board

I have add support for the reprapdiscount controller in combination with RADDS. I only changed ui.h for it.
In the online configure tool you can now select the full graphics smart controller ( 12 ) in combination with the RADDS.
And then it works

Is it possible to have these change integrated in the normal firmware release?

Comments

• 12 is felix controller.

Is there a available adapter that results in the scheme? Then it is no problem to make it official.
    If it is only a individual wiring you used to do the trick it is only confusing as other users might think it works and do stupid things based on that idea.
  • I have the design ready, and will build 20 of them my self. But when everything is working,
    I will post the converter on thingivers, free to user reproduce and sell. 
    I hope that is enough :-) 

• We can only have one pinout default per board/display but I will check your thingiverse entry and as long as there is no more popular adapter we can use that if you post the pins.
  • I'll keep an eye for that, haven't put mine working as I need to find a spare flat cable to do the custom wiring.
    So having an adpator that would that instead is perfect.

• I've plans to use exactly the same configuration, Due+RADDS+Full Graphics Smart Controller. So far, I planned to build a converter myself, but in case you're building more than you can use yourself, I'm offering you my support and I'm certainly also interested in buying one.
  • You'd better hurry up, as I am going to beat you to it ;-)

• Nice!
    Just to confirm but Is that for the LCD and Encoder?
    (seems to be as it was far too many pins for just the LCD)

• Also does SD

4 connectors, 1 for RADDS lcd conector, 1 for RADDS SD connector and then EXT1 and EXT2
  • Sweet, that's even better.

One question, withe RAMPS1.4 there was one annoying thing. When powering down the RAMPS (I use a xbox PSU)
    the LCD always kept the backlight lit. 
    Does the same happens with the RADDS?
  • edited March 2016
    Right now my Due is powered by the USB, and it needs to be on before powering up RADDS, but then USB can be unplugged. If I power up the RADDS without the USB connected first the LCD just flashes.

New version made tonight, I added 100% more witches. 
    I made a couple slips when widening the holes with a pin vice, next time I'll give the CNC the proper bit and all the holes will be perfect.

• There's something strange happening with my configuration.

I actually ordered from reprap.me, both the full graphics display and the arduino due (china clone). The RADDS (v1.5) I got from max3dshop. Just to try out, I fly-wired the display to both, RADDS and the Arduino Due directly. Comparing both configurations, the only difference is the levelshifter on the RADDS. Strangely enough, using RADDS I only see flashing random garbage on the display, while it works out-of-the box when connecting it directly in the same way (but without the level shifter) to the Arduino Due pins. My guess would have been that it may work with the Arduino Due if I/O voltage is luckily around 3.6v, but definitely works with RADDS.

However, it's exactly the inverse. Meanwhile, I also tried with a genuine Arduino Due with exactly the same result. Does anyone notice the same or have an idea what is going wrong here?
  • Ok, I found the cause to my problem. The level shifter on RADDS (TXB0106) tends to oscillate pretty easily. Adding 1KOhm resistors to the 3 signals LCD_{E,RS,4} after the level shifter solved it.

Others using the same configuration (RADDS v1.5 + RepRapDiscount Full Graphics Display) may have encountered something similar. After I solved it for myself, I found a thread in the RepRap forum where they suggest resistors as well, but they argue it's due to wrong 0 level which could as well be the same oscillation effect if they only measured it with a multimeter. Without the resistors I saw a perfect 50-60MHz sine wave on my oscilloscope and the +5V rail had a 50MHz 2Vpp ripple, i.e. 4-6V.
  • @stylon, what is the wiring that you used for it?
    And did you had to change anything on the Repetier code or it was just enable that LCD mode in the configuration?
  • I want a daughter board.
  • Where can I find the required changes for ui.h as mentioned in the OP?

• Do you have a PCB/hSield to allow plugging this LCD?

Still waiting for someone to share one. :)

• edited July 2016
    Eddie:
    https://github.com/luc-github/DUE-RADDS-GLCD

though I used a slightly diff config.
    #define UI_DISPLAY_RS_PIN      42
    #define UI_DISPLAY_RW_PIN -1
    #define UI_DISPLAY_ENABLE_PIN 43
    #define UI_DISPLAY_D0_PIN -1//44
    #define UI_DISPLAY_D1_PIN -1//45
    #define UI_DISPLAY_D2_PIN -1//46
    #define UI_DISPLAY_D3_PIN -1//47
    #define UI_DISPLAY_D4_PIN 44
    #define UI_DISPLAY_D5_PIN 45
    #define UI_DISPLAY_D6_PIN 46
    #define UI_DISPLAY_D7_PIN 47<br>
    Nandox7
    I have a board designed and working, but my PCB manufacturing results have been mixed...
    I'm building a dremelbot with servo auto-probe that I'm hoping will make PCB's easier. drop an email to 3dprint352 at gmail com if you want to be notified.

• Nice, not to bad.
    I'm finished building a Cyclone PCB Factory
    I'll send you an email.