CNC mill and 3d printer hybrid

Hello, my name is Mariano and im from Argentina. I am completely new at this world. But im enthusiastic and an electronic engineer.

I am starting a new solo project on renewable energies, and would need a CNC PCBs mill/drill and a 3d printer to make custom pieces.

Its out of my budget assemble one of each (ideal situation) so im trying to make a strong complete 3d printer capable of mill/drill PCBs by changing extruder for a dremel/spindle.

Electronics will be Ramps 1.4 kit, capable of handling both machines separately, with Z axis automatic leveling for PCB mill. But i read on some forums that firmware needs to be replaced when changing its functionality. Is it true and there is no alternative?

I thought of using Repetier as firmware and frontend also to get best of it. Is it possible?

Thanks

Comments

• Repetier-Firmware has 3 modes: 3d Printing, Laser Cutting/engraving and CNC. You can compile all 3 in one binary. You switch with M451 / M452 / M453 to the corresponding modes. If you unplug extruder it will show a temperature error going to dry run, but that does not have any effect on Laser/CNC, only when you go back you need to reset the printer so temperatures work again (maybe disabling dry run in host).

The only thing you need to watch out is the gcode created for pcb mill. It should be compatible with repetier gcode. But that should not be a real problem as you only need a few commands and G1/G0 are pretty standard with sticky variables.
  • Thank you for the answer. Sorry to bother again, but as i said im new.

So if i use firmware in Ramps compiled for 3d printing and CNC milling that would be enough for hw. I should only unplug extruder, or extruder and heated bed also?

Thanks
  • It is up to you if you unplug extruder/bed. The CNC function is not dependent on them and also works with them plugged in. I more thought that it is a place problem to have extruder AND mill on the same carriage, so I assumed you switch between them. Milling into bed is also bad, but if you but something on top (with z max homing no problem) as protection that would also work making it possibly easier.
  • Ok, i misunderstood you. So there is no problems in hw in working both ways. Thats great and quite different from what i read on other forums.

I plan to use Repetier firmware and host on an Ubuntu pc. What is the best gcode maker for 3d printing and PCBs milling and drilling?

Really appreciate your help
  • For printing it is currently SLic3r I guess, also slower then CuraEngine, but more accurate results.

No idea for PCB milling and drilling.
  • Hello ! you can look here : http://rapid-pcb.com/

it is easy to use ! And the gcode can be used with Repetier Host for milling and drilling
  • Thank you very much barth, i will start studying this.
  • edited June 2016
    I finally make my prusa P3 steel extrude plastic really well and make my modifications to mill PCBs.

My problem is now how to use autolevel Z axis for PCB.
    I saw there are some SW that use electrical signal in the end mill and the PCB to test surface.

My question is, does Repetier-firmware allow me to use any of this conductive surface testing probes?

I tried milling and it does some "air mill" because of unleveled PCB surface.

Any ideas on how to use it?

I was thinking in a "primary" solution, that would be to use a different "endstop" for autoleveling in CNC mode.

Remove the Z endstop connector for my 3d printer and use those pins to connect
    crocodrile pins to end mill bit and PCB to send signal using Z Probe.

Is that possible?

Thanks in advance