FEATURE_RETRACTION & AUTORETRACT_ENABLED

Hi! I wonder if someone could explain me what are and the utility have the following functions:  FEATURE_RETRACTION & AUTORETRACT_ENABLED. Maybe someone knows any tutorial where I can learn, but I have not found anything on internet.

I guess the following are related...

#define RETRACTION_LENGTH 3                       
#define RETRACTION_LONG_LENGTH 13
#define RETRACTION_SPEED 40
#define RETRACTION_Z_LIFT 0                     
#define RETRACTION_UNDO_EXTRA_LENGTH 0
#define RETRACTION_UNDO_EXTRA_LONG_LENGTH 0
#define RETRACTION_UNDO_SPEED 20

Regards
MAB

Comments

• Do not use AUTORETRACT_ENABLED, that will only confuse you. It is designed to detect retraction moves from slicer and replace them with firmware retraction. But that has some drawbacks if you control extruder manually it will not do what you expect in that mode.

FEATURE_RETRACTION is ok. It allows using G10/G11 to retract/unretract insted of slicer sending the move command. That way you can modify parameter in firmware without regenerating gcode. Needs slicer set to a firmware creating G10/G11 (ultimaker).
  • ok, so I think it is usefull, for example,  if you want to share gcode with a friend (instead of STL files).

In Repetier.ino you can find:

- G10 S<1 = long retract, 0 = short retract = default> retracts filament according to stored setting
    - G11 S<1 = long retract, 0 = short retract = default> = Undo retraction according to stored setting

What does it mean when it says "Stored settings"?  It refers to any firmware definition or Mcode start_gcode data like Ultimaker uses?

Ultimaker Code Usage:

G10 - retract filament according to settings of M207
    G11 - retract recover filament according to settings of M208
    M207 - set retract length S[positive mm] F[feedrate mm/sec] Z[additional zlift/hop]
    M208 - set recover=unretract length S[positive mm surplus to the M207 S*] F[feedrate mm/sec]

Thank you!
  • It uses exactly the settings you defined in first post. They are also stored in eeprom so you can change them using a eeprom editor in Repetier-Host/server.
  • If FEATURES RETRACTION is enabled the retraction settings from the slicer is ignored? Just want ro see if I'm following you.
  • No feature retraction just makes G10/G11 work so slicer could use this instead of own retraction.
    Autoretract would try to detect such non G10/G11 slicer patterns and convert them on the fly. But as I said this leads often to confusion when you do manual extrusions so you do not always get what you want. So it is better to decide while slicing how you want to handle it.