Repetier firmware configuration questions (prusa mendel)

Hello everyone.

I recieved an Prusa mendel kit from my boyfriend on my birthday and neither of us knew anything about printers so he purchased this Kit for me.

I have set it together and i have uploaded Sprinter_melzi firmware to it and i have tried configuring it for a while now but i do not like the prints and how it works so i am thinking of switching to repetier instead.

I am now running the online configuration tool for repetier firmware and i need help on some of the settings.

What should i choose on theese questions

Printer type  (there are some options)
Cartesian printer
z axis + xy H-gantry/core XY (x_motor = x+y,y_motor = x-y)
z axis + xy H-gantry/core XY (x_motor = x+y,y_motor = y-x)
Delta printers (kossel etc)
Tuga printer

I am pretty sure i dont have a delta or tuga since Reprap arent in between the (  )  but do i have a Cartesian printer or one of the Z axis?

Kill method
Disable heaters, wait forever
Reste controller. will not reset separate communication chips

What should i pick on those two?

Since i use Sanguino 1.2 1284p  is there anything else i should think about before switching to repetier firmware

Thank u in advance
Sarah

Comments

• You have a cartesian printer.

I would select the second kill method since it allows to continue with your printer after a crash.

Sanguinos are not supported by Arduino IDE out of the box, so you need to install the sanguino definitions yourself, which I hope you already figured out.

Also make sure firmware is < 123kB. If not disable some features you do not need.
  • I have already figured out that sanguinos are not supported.

I havent figured out yet how to do that yet but i am trying to learn
  • You get the missing parts for some older Arduino IDEs here:

you should use Arduino 1.0.1 with sanguino.

Unfortunately the official homepage seems to be sold and now someone else runs sanguino.cc where you could get more instructions. But google may help here.
  • You get the missing parts for some older Arduino IDEs here:
    https://code.google.com/p/sanguino/downloads/list

you should use Arduino 1.0.1 with sanguino.
    Unfortunately the official homepage seems to be sold and now someone else runs sanguino.cc where you could get more instructions. But google may help here.

Aah you mean like that.  I have already downloaded Arduino and added Sanguino files and used it to upload my current firmware as the one that came when buying the kit was outdated and had weird extruder settings.

I was tired when i read your comment and did not really read it fully as i obviously did not understand it haha.

So now i have arduino fully configured i will try and compile and upload Repetier firmware when after dinner.   im currently double checking everything on my printer so heated bed is same Z hight on each side and that the extruder is sitting tight enough for it to extrude etc.

I will come back and write if i stumble upon any problems during upload.

Thank u again
  • edited December 2014
    Damn it is alot harder then i thought it would be to do the online configuration..

If someone could help me that would be amazing.

I am stuck at second page of online configuration on stepper.  with Delay stepper signal and Jerk XY moves.  i have used search button in my config.h and my Sprinter_melzi.pde but cant find anything with Jerk and if i only search XY or signal there are tons of stuff so i dont know where to look.

its really frustrating to not being able to even configure it by myself....... :(

like on online config page in X axis stepper motor settings on second page there is Resolution and i cant find anything at all about that in my firmware :/  

and Quad stepping when frequencies larger then 24000hz

I have uploaded the current firmware that i have edited and is using on my printer

http://www.filedropper.com/sprintermelzi  (if the hyperlink dont work)

Sorry for asking sutch dumb questions and needing help with so much
    i get so frustrated i just wanna throw the printer from second floor...

Many hugs
    ~Sarah~
  • First defaults normally work especially the more complicated parts like quad stepping, double stepping.

Resolution is stepspermm and can easily computed from motor steps per turn, substepping and pulley circumsphere. Our host has also a calculator for this in tools menu.

Prusa printer should handle jerk xy from 20-40 with no problems, just a question how jerky you want it. But you can change this with eeprom settings once uploaded as well as all accelerations/speeds/resolutions.
  • Ash wonderful. Then many of the settings in online configurations can be changed later with different commands by sending them to printer? Or do I need to edit firmware source code, upload it try to print and then change and upload again?
  • If you have eeprom enabled you have in Repetier-Host config menu a function eeprom where you can change them after upload.

In fact changing them in config file after first upload has no effect since values are taken from eeprom until you reset them. See repetier.ino file for list of gcodes.