SD init fail using RepRapDiscount Full Graphic Smart Controller in Repetier 0.91/0.92

I have a RepRapDiscount Full Graphic Smart Controller that I am running on a RAMPS 1.4 board. The display and the menu work fine until I connect an SD card. Then the entire thing slows down and in Repetier Host I get "SD card inserted" "SD init failed" repeating every second or so.

I am running FW 0.91 from the web configuration tool. I have tried a variety of settings in the firmware as well as 3 different SD cards. Searching online I saw some reports that something may have changed in the timing between version 0.83 and 0.91 that might cause problems? I have never run anything prior to 0.91, so I don't know for sure that that is the case. I tried 0.92 and had the same problem. I have sd support enabled and set the sd detect pin to pin 49. If anyone has run into this or knows how what the problem is, I would be very appreciative.

Comments

• Detect pin seems to work since it only starts mounting when you insert the card. Problem is the failure to mount sd card and repeated retries. Maybe the sd card cable is not 100% ok. Try swapping or replacing it. You can also try different sd cards. Not all behave the same. Also make sure they have a FAT file system not NTFS or something else unknown.
  • Turns out I did have a bad cable. One of them had a bad pin. I don't know why I did not check that sooner but live and learn I suppose. Thanks for the help.
  • I'm having this problem but I'm sure it's not the wire. I tried another shorter wire with no success. I have tried changing the sckrateid in the sd2card class and once it initialized with the value of 14. It failed to upload a gcode and then continued to fail to initialize. I have tried one other card and formatting them. No success.
  • I have a RepRapDiscount Full Graphic Smart Controller that I am running on a RAMPS 1.4 board. The display and the menu work fine until I connect an SD card. Then the entire thing slows down and in Repetier Host I get "SD card inserted" "SD init failed" repeating every second or so.
    I had same problem, I was using a older 2gb SD card, tried formatting as FAT and FAT32 with no help, then I tried a newer Sandisk Extreme 2gb SD card and it worked fine.      density or speed issue maybe?