Communicate between pc and 3d printer

Hi, I am new, I have a duplicator I3 V2 printer and I would like to install repetier host to be able to communicate between my pc and the printer. There is no network connector or anything wireless, all I have is the usb cable to update the firmware. So is the only way to connect pc to the printer to use repetier software by using the usb cable? Thanks for your time and help

Comments

• Yes, only usb is possible with such boards. You need to install the proper usb->serial driver in windows to get working, but if uploading firmware works you have the driver,
  • Yes, only usb is possible with such boards. You need to install the proper usb->serial driver in windows to get working, but if uploading firmware works you have the driver,
    Ok , thank you. I have not tried updating firmware yet so I will install the proper usb driver. Thank you so much for your time. Have a nice day.
  • The duplicator comes with a firmware, but I'm not sure it is compatible with our protocols. Might be a proprietary protocol no know knows.
  • I am thinking to buy a wanhao duplicator 5s mini or wanhao duplicator I3 V2. Does duplicator 5s mini support repetier software interfacing? If yes then will I be able to change the codes in the software and interface them with the machine simultaneoulsy?
  • Suggest me a printer with which I can modify the codes in the repetier software and print the part accordingly with constant interfacing between the printer and the pc. I don't want the option of SD card slot direct printing.
  • There are many 3d printers using reprap style gcode communication and all will do. I will not say any printer since it depends on what you need it for, what quality you expect and what you are willing to pay. Ok, maybe one. The Felix Pro 1 seems a good compromise between features, price, size and quality. But I'm still learning to use it perfectly. But it has some promissing features. Other printers in 2000-3000 Euro range also have good results, so it is more your preference what you want. There are endless number of printers I even haven't seen.
  • It is not the price,size or the quality of the printer I am concerned about. All I want is that I should be able to modify the self generated codes from the repetier software and then use the same to print the part. Hence I was asking whether repetier software runs with almost all the 3d printers or not? Or is it that only those softwares which are mentioned in the printer description sheet support the particular machine?
  • No, it really depends on hardware and figuring out what hardware is used. If you get a preassembled printer it might be hard to get data like board type, thermistor types. But once you know them and they are supported by repetier, you can say it can run repetier-firmware. Similar is with marlin. Marlin supports nearly the same hardware as repetier, so if they can run Marlin they can also run Repetier in 99%.