Firmware 1.0.4dev for Blue Eagle Labs Kossel Clear delta

I'm attempting to configure Repetier firmware 1.0.4dev for an old Blue Eagle Labs Kossel Clear delta printer. At the moment, the challenge is with the extruder stepper motor. I'm unable to cause the stepper to spin in either direction. I have confirmed the motor itself is functional and that the stepper controller has 5 VDC on the VDD pin and 12 VDC on the ENABLE pin.

X, Y, and Z control work fine.

Anyone have a working Configuration.h and pin.h for this old printer with the latest Repetier firmware?

The extruder specific preprocessor definitions from Configuration.h are:

#define MOTHERBOARD 33
#define EXT0_ADVANCE_BACKLASH_STEPS 0
#define EXT0_ADVANCE_K 0
#define EXT0_ADVANCE_L 0
#define EXT0_DECOUPLE_TEST_PERIOD 12000
#define EXT0_DESELECT_COMMANDS ""
#define EXT0_DIR2_PIN ORIG_E0_DIR_PIN
#define EXT0_DIR_PIN ORIG_E0_DIR_PIN
#define EXT0_ENABLE2_PIN ORIG_E0_ENABLE_PIN
#define EXT0_ENABLE_ON 1 // set to 1 by Bill
#define EXT0_ENABLE_PIN ORIG_E0_ENABLE_PIN
#define EXT0_EXTRUDER_COOLER_PIN -1
#define EXT0_EXTRUDER_COOLER_SPEED 255
#define EXT0_HEATER_PIN HEATER_0_PIN
#define EXT0_HEAT_MANAGER 1
#define EXT0_INVERSE 1 // set to 1 by Bill
#define EXT0_INVERSE2 0
#define EXT0_JAM_PIN -1
#define EXT0_JAM_PULLUP 0
#define EXT0_MAX_ACCELERATION 3000
#define EXT0_MAX_FEEDRATE 50
#define EXT0_MAX_START_FEEDRATE 40
#define EXT0_MIRROR_STEPPER 0
#define EXT0_PID_D 114
#define EXT0_PID_I 1.08
#define EXT0_PID_INTEGRAL_DRIVE_MAX 140
#define EXT0_PID_INTEGRAL_DRIVE_MIN 60
#define EXT0_PID_MAX 255
#define EXT0_PID_P 22.2
#define EXT0_PID_PGAIN_OR_DEAD_TIME 7
#define EXT0_PREHEAT_TEMP 190
#define EXT0_SELECT_COMMANDS "M117 Extruder 1"
#define EXT0_STEP2_PIN ORIG_E0_STEP_PIN
#define EXT0_STEP_PIN ORIG_E0_STEP_PIN
#define EXT0_STEPS_PER_MM 100
#define EXT0_TEMPSENSOR_PIN TEMP_0_PIN
#define EXT0_TEMPSENSOR_TYPE 1
#define EXT0_WAIT_RETRACT_TEMP 150
#define EXT0_WAIT_RETRACT_UNITS 0
#define EXT0_WATCHPERIOD 1
#define EXT0_X_OFFSET 0
#define EXT0_Y_OFFSET 0
#define EXT0_Z_OFFSET 0

Comments

• > 12 VDC on the ENABLE pin.
    Hope not. Enable pin is signal pin wanting 5v only.

If it works just only always in wrong direction your dir pin might be defect or stepper driver. That pin decides motor direction. If chip ha sit defect so it can not change level that can happen. Or bad contact. 

If extruder blocks on power on and if you can rotate it after trying to move
    #define EXT0_ENABLE_ON 1 // set to 1 by Bill
    might need to be 0. If you have all the same drivers it should be set to same value as x, y and z motor.
  • edited October 2022
    My mistake.

All four of the stepper controllers have 12 VDC on the VMOUT pin. The three steppers which control the X, Y, and Z position have 5 VDC on their ENABLE pin and are working correctly. Only the extruder stepper controller has 0 VDC on its ENABLE pin and doesn't move at all, in either direction.

Which preprocessor variable(s) controls the extruder controller ENABLE pin?

• Repetier said:

If extruder blocks on power on and if you can rotate it after trying to move
    #define EXT0_ENABLE_ON 1 // set to 1 by Bill
    might need to be 0. If you have all the same drivers it should be set to same value as x, y and z motor.
    It makes no difference whether EXT0_ENABLE_ON is set to 0 or to 1. The extruder still doesn't move in either direction.
  • Looks like you have a ramps board.
    #define EXT0_ENABLE_PIN ORIG_E0_ENABLE_PIN
    sets the extruder enable pin and with ramps being most used board it is correct.

Does the delta have only one extruder? In that case move to second motor socket assigning ORIG_E1... instead to the 3 motor pins. If it is a defect enable signal this should than work.
  • I do have a RAMPS board in this printer and I have several spare RAMPS boards. However, I don't know how to confirm the specific version of any of my RAMPS boards.

I've been doing all the troubleshooting with:
    #define EXT0_ENABLE_PIN ORIG_E0_ENABLE_PIN
    Yes, my Kossel Clear delta has only one extruder. I have verified the functionaliy of the extruder stepper by moving it to the X motion stepper. I've verified the functionality of the extruder controller by swapping it with the X controller. I've verified the RAMPS by testing it with a different printer. I have even replaced the Arduino.

The RAMPS does have support for EXT1 so I might experiment with that. However, I'd like to confirm which RAMPS version I have and which output pin on the Arduino Mega 2560 is connected to the EXT0 controller ENABLE.
  • Check
    https://reprap.org/wiki/Arduino_Mega_Pololu_Shield
    it contains informations about all board version. 1.1 and 1.2 have in deed different dir/step/enable pins, but that was not very wide spread.
  • Issue resolved. I wasn't setting the extruder or bed temperature before attempting to move the extruder stepper, so the Repetier firmware simply ignored my "G1 Z10 F10" command.