Networked File Systems

With my LAN setup and the fact that I can't seem to stop "tinkering" and moving stuff about. Can I create a symlink on my repetier server in /var/lib to the actual directory that is shared on a NAS or other server pc (Windows/Linux)? Would it be easier with a symlink from /var/lib/Repetier Server to /mnt/Repetier Server to better to mv the original dir to a backup and mount the networked share right in /var/lib?

OR even easier to use the Server GUI under Folders?

Comments

• Please don't hook /var/lib/Repetier-Server to a NAS. First of all no one except server should write to it, and than it must be available before server starts and any interruption can damage stability or cause defects in data. The runtime stuff should only work from locally attached drives that will always be accessible.

The shared folders are ok as they only need to be available when you import a gcode and you can also have multiple instances access/use it in parallel.
  • Certainly, makes a lot of sense.

So, if I am understanding correctly, I can use the external folder (sorry if I got the name wrong, I don't have quick access to my server at the moment. Having electrical issues at the new house so most everything is off/unplugged.) gui page to create my gcode directories to maximize my storage and backup potential.

Would these "external" directories show up in my gcode list, as say maybe sub directories or even groups?
  • The don't appear in gcod elist, but models and direct print upload have a split button and in the split section the directory appears and when you select it you can browse that folder and e.g. start a print directly from it. Only drawback is that since it is not pre analysed it has no pre rendered image and analysis. With general folders not possible anyway as we don't know which printer will be printing it.
  • What about uploading the gcode from cura/rep-host into the usual directory structure then "exporting" it and the render to a "storage" directory.

I have quite a bit of NAS storage on premise and a few USB SSD drives that I can hook to the Pi-3. I have a bad habit of being a digital pack rat.  :p  I have scaled down to two Geeetech A30T printers, the enders are going on a "back burner" in the workshop. I can do everything with that the 2 Enders and Neptune did with just the 2 A30T printers. I recently moved and had to scale down my workshop space.

So as far as not knowing what printer will be printing the file, that isn't much of a big issue since the printers are identical. But having a render WOULD be helpful since I don't ALWAYS give everything a very descriptive name. Especially when I'm rushing through a project.
  • If printers are on same machine you can share their g-code folder so both see uploads to models. But NAS would not work here as well as they organise the files internally and would not see the files. Plus files added get a number at start to identify them that is different for each printer and also managed by the server. This is a conceptual problem and some day we will work on a solution to improve it, but that needs quite big changes to have a common folder over several instances and still will need a software managing data transfers so they get used correctly and are seen.
  • OK, so I guess I need to figure out a workflow to backup up my gcodes and not rely on the server for storage. Just keep my most used and current on the server.

Not a big deal, just requires me to be a bit more cognizant of my storage. Like I said, I've got a bad habit of being a digital packrat. I've got files going back 15 years! LOL.

Looking forward to new improvements and features. You've been doing AMAZING work!!!!
  • You knwo about the project storage? These can also store g-codes (again without renderings) but you can e.g. have a mast  Repetier-Server where oyu store them and all other servers can access them and start prints from them. Just add them in connectivity to share projects and you see the other servers in server list in projects.