Proper way of adjusting Z offset from LCD when doing first layer?

I have a printer with z-probe (induction sensor) and if I set all parameters correctly in firmware then it works nicely. First layer is also printed well.

The problem is when I disassembly printer head and assembly again. Obviously Z settings become off. What I did so far is to figure out new Z_PROBE_HEIGHT, update that in Configuration.h and upload new firmware.

That obviously sucks. But... I don't see any menu about adjusting this on lcd when printing.

There is Z-babysteps option but it is not saved and next print requires me to correct Z-babysteps again, each time.

I'm probably missing something, so - what's the correct way to adjust Z offset at (for example) first layer print time, from LCD and get this offset saved?

Firmware 1.0.4.

Comments

• Using our server or host you can modify the value in eeprom at any time without reuploading firmware.
  • So simple. Thanks!

(There is even a plugin for octoprint for EEPROM edits)
  •  Repetier said:
    Using our server or host you can modify the value in eeprom at any time without reuploading firmware.
    Why would you not have an icon on the LCD display to set this?  This is a common issue I have with my printer too. 
    And how does one go about modifying the eeprom?
  • Prusa firmware (or generic marlin?) has this nicely solved. You can adjust Z offset (z probe height in repetier terms) from LCD, while print is in progress, and that will be saved into EEPROM.

Really nice.

Current repetier way (editing eeprom via repetier software or octoprint plugin) is still problematic since I have printer on another floor than computer - that means multiple walkings just to set and confirm z probe height.