Delta Z-Axis no Movement or Current

Hello,

I'm in the process of setting up a delta printer, and before all the printer materials are ready, I've been trying to test the electronics. Currently, when I connect to the printer via Repetier Host and try to control the printer manually, I get no movement of the Z-axis stepper motor, not even any resistance, I can rotate the lead screw somewhat freely. The X and Y move just fine, so I tested the Z-axis stepper in the X-axis port and it worked fine.

My specs:
NEMA 17 stepper motors with 300mm lead screw
Melzi2.0_V5  TRONXY board
Recycled Computer Supply for a 12v rail
Mechanical Endstops
Windows 10
Arduino 1.0.6
Repetier-Host V2.2.4

Troubleshooting:
Tested a Cartesian configuration.h to see if it was an issue with the delta one, still no movement
Stepper motor works in other ports
Unplugged Endstops
Tried both Z-axis motor Ports
Moved power input jumper to both settings USB and Vreg

Comments

• > Tried both Z-axis motor Ports
    What do you mean? The board has 2 4pin connectors for Z and both work? Not relevant as both are powered from same driver.

Configuration looks good. As a first test make z and x swap and see if then the old "x" is getting no power. It might be that the stepper driver or some connections from it are defect. Swapping config rules out config problems unseen or defect motor cable/motor.

To rule out stepper driver switch x and z stepper driver instead. Make sure they have both same settings.

If you have a second extruder socket free, select for z the second extruder instead to use an alternative socket and if available stepper driver.
  • Repetier said:

What do you mean? The board has 2 4pin connectors for Z and both work? Not relevant as both are powered from same driver.
    Both of the Z-axis 4pin connectors did not work. I gotcha, so I guess both for sure don't work.

Repetier said:

If you have a second extruder socket free, select for z the second extruder instead to use an alternative socket and if available stepper driver.
    THANK YOU! I didn't think of this! Yes by assigning the Z-axis motor to the extruder port I was able to get it working properly. I suppose that means the Z-axis driver on my board doesn't work, I'll have to get it replaced. That might make sense considering I cheaped out and got the $40 unofficial melzi2.0. My board https://ibb.co/d7RhTHv

• No second extruder driver - bad in that case.
    Unfortunately stepper drivers are the most frequent part breaking I think. That is why I like boards with driver sockets so you can replace them easily.