Klipper - which device/port to choose

I have been away from 3D printing for over a year, now getting back into it.

I used Repetier (and loved it) before moving over to Klipper from Marlin (I hated Marlin) and at the time, my love for Repetier was less than my hate for Marlin and when I couldn't get it to work with Klipper, I just went with Octoprint, now Fluidd.

I still prefer the Repetier interface and thought I'd give it another go.  (Currently waiting for my lost licence key to be emailed)

Anyway, I've installed Repetier Server on one of my Pi's, connected to it via wifi and plugged my printer in, which already has Klipper installed. But I can't get Repetier to find the printer.  I don't know which device/port to use.  (I think this is why I gave up a few years ago)

BTW, Klipper is already installed on the printer by FluiddPi.

I ssh'd into the Pi and tried; ls /dev/serial/by-id/* and it told me the address.

Repetier wouldn't accept it.  I've tried a number of device/ports from the dropdown, but it won't recognise it.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Comments

• edited May 2022
    Well, it looks like it accepted /dev/tty0 this time!

But the printer in 'Dashboard' keeps disconnecting and going red.  This is what the console is telling me;

Mesg:2:44:45.765: Connection started
    Mesg:2:44:45.765: Printer reset requested false
    Mesg:2:44:45.766: Dtr: false Rts: false
    Mesg:2:44:45.766: Connection closed by os.
    Mesg:2:44:47.604: Dtr: false Rts: false
    Mesg:2:44:47.604: Connection started
    Mesg:2:44:47.604: Printer reset requested false
    Mesg:2:44:47.605: Dtr: false Rts: false
    Mesg:2:44:47.605: Connection closed by os.
    Mesg:2:44:49.542: Dtr: false Rts: false
    Mesg:2:44:49.544: Connection started
    Mesg:2:44:49.544: Printer reset requested false
    Mesg:2:44:49.544: Dtr: false Rts: false
    Recv:2:44:52.548: Send init commands because we had no signal from a reset, assuming reset not available.
    Recv:2:44:56.281: Response while unconnected: L l S ] Z~
    Recv:2:44:56.281: L l S ] Z~
    Mesg:2:45:01.585: Dtr: false Rts: false
    Mesg:2:45:01.591: Connection started
    Mesg:2:45:01.591: Printer reset requested false
    Mesg:2:45:01.591: Dtr: false Rts: false
    Recv:2:45:04.594: Send init commands because we had no signal from a reset, assuming reset not available.
    Recv:2:45:11.282: Response while unconnected: L> d * ~
    Recv:2:45:11.282: L> d * ~
    Recv:2:45:11.282: Response while unconnected: L4
    Recv:2:45:11.282: L4
    Mesg:2:45:13.735: Dtr: false Rts: false

This is going on and on and on.

• You can not say klipper was already installed with fluidd on printer - only a stub to communicate with klipper gets installed on the printer. You still need klipper server installed on the pi, but that is easy. First make sure you have your klipper konfiguration as text from your fluidd install. Make also sure to have  Repetier-Server 1.3.0 installed. If you have set firmware to klipper in printer menu a Klipper config entry will appear. Or install new printer with klipper firmware and there is a button to install klipper firmware. Once you do this you have an empty klipper konfig but klipper server is running. Then go to klipper config again and edit the config file - copy your old content to it and save and restart klipper. Not klipper server is running and if port in config is still valid on that pi (depends on selected path - by-id/... should be the same) it is running and in printer configuration you can select the klipper port. It is not /tmp/printer. See in manual at the end of configuration for more details on klipper installation.

On next release ther emight even be a working klipper-menuconfig working. At least we hope this feature makes it already to next release. Then you can even compile new firmware stub from gui.
  • edited May 2022
    "You can not say klipper was already installed with fluidd on printer"
    What I meant was, I flashed Klipper onto the printer using my FluidPi installation.  Fluidd created the firmware.bin file that I flashed the printer with.

"First make sure you have your klipper konfiguration as text from your fluidd install. Make also sure to have  Repetier-Server 1.3.0 installed. If you have set firmware to klipper in printer menu a Klipper config entry will appear."

I'm sorry, I don't understand this.  I have copied the printer.cfg file to my PC.  Repetier Server 1.3.0 is installed on the Raspberry Pi.  I've set the firmware to Klipper.  Where does the Klipper config entry appear?
  • I'm trying to follow the instructions you directed me to in the manual, but when I upload my printer.cfg file, the 'Create Printer' button is inoperable, sort of greyed out.
    https://muzza.net/images/Repetier/Rep%205.jpg
  • You are trying at the wrong places:-(
    From dashboard select your printer. Then on the right you have a printer context menu (hamburger icon) - there you have the klipper config entry that you need where you install klipper and where also the editor with the empty config appear and where oyu copy your config into. Then when klipper is running you should also see the correct port name in printer configuration of server. Printer configuration is just the server side. It does not contain the extra stuff that is independent from server. We bundeled it all in that menu entry in printer. Hope you find it with the extra description.