Can you change the extruder heater output from 12v to 24v?

I have a Davinci 1.0 running on Repetier 0.92.1, with an aftermarket extruder, but I've stupidly bought the 24V version of the extruder instead of the 12v which my printer is.  Can I change the output from the board to 24v or is it fixed?

Comments

• Normally changing voltage is bad. You need new power supply and then motors and other heaters get wrong power. With 24 same resistance has 4x the power so are likely to break with full power. And if board supports that is the other question.
  • Repetier said:
    Normally changing voltage is bad. You need new power supply and then motors and other heaters get wrong power. With 24 same resistance has 4x the power so are likely to break with full power. And if board supports that is the other question.
    Thanks for the reply.  Is there any way to just change the output to the extruder, and leave everything else at 12V, or is that not possible?
  • As far as I know, the only difference between a 12V extruder and a 24V extruder ist the hotend heater cartridge.
    So it should be possible to just get a 12V heater cartdrige and replace the 24V heater cartridge.
  • As scotty said, difference is cartridge and 24V with same watt has higher resistance so on 12V it works but will not get enough power. So change the cartridge for 12V version and all is good.