No preview images for 3mf files uploaded on projects

Hello!

One of my favorite features of repetier server is the project library where i can not only just collect a bunch of files but add notes, images, and group all relevant objects as detailed as i like.

While i worked only with STL files everything was fine but since I have a Prusa MMU2S I save all my models in 3mf format as it can manage multiple objects with different colors and materials without problem. But now there are no preview images generated by repetier server anymore for those. I found the following information in the log:

[17.11.2021 17:54:09] : Execute error response:vector::reserve
[17.11.2021 17:54:09] : While executing:/usr/local/Repetier-Server/bin/RepetierRenderer -i "/var/lib/Repetier-Server/projects/Household.dir/Climate Wall/.models/BefestigungKlimaplatte_1.rmf" -p "/var/lib/Repetier-Server/projects/Household.dir/Climate Wall/.computed" -c /var/lib/Repetier-Server/database/renderer.json

No idea why the 3mf file is named .rmf here, though.
Is this a bug? And of those files are not supported right now, are there any plans/timeline for their support? Even the Windows explorer shows a preview of those files - this is a pretty important thing to make the project gallery useful for me again.

Thanks and best regards,
Gordon

Comments

• Thanks for the info. We can handle 3mf files, but looks like prusaslicer generated 3mf make some problems. Get the same when I try so will see what goes wrong and fix. .rmf is our internal format we use for renderer and visualization inside project manager as they are smaller and faster to parse then 3mf. Problem is that they got wrongly converted at first place making the rendering fail.
  • Digging deeper the problem in my case is bad handling of copied objects on build plate in prusa 3MF on our side. Importing a regular 3mf without having made copies work perfectly.

If your problem is not with copies (which I could repreduce and will fix), please provide a 3mf that is not working for testing.
  • Oh, that is an interesting find. I think both 3mf files i tried had copies/instances of objects. Will try a more simple one in a few hours when i’m home again. You for the fast response!
  • Ok I think I got it. There were 2 issues in fact I found. One that always prevents copies from being rendered as they got omitted. The other was a random one that causes failure for writing correct triangle counts. So also non copy 3mf files might fail, just not always. Both fixed for next release.
  • That’s great to hear! I also uploaded a more simple 3mf file and it got rendered correctly, so my not working files are probably just cases of the found bugs.

I keep uploading more projects to my archive then and wait for the next update. Thanks for your help - and a great product you make her! :)
  • I also have the problem of some files not being rendered.  Repetier-Version 1.2.0:
    (As far as I remember, older Repetier-versions 1.0.x did the job correctly.)

On the Repetieron Raspi with Printers connected:
    [22.11.2021 19:30:56] : While executing:/usr/local/Repetier-Server/bin/RepetierRenderer -i "/var/lib/Repetier-Server/projects/JM.dir/Masken.dir/Earband-Halter.dir/Diverse/.models/Diverse Earband Halter 2021.01.rmf" -p /var/lib/Repetier-Server/projects/JM.dir/Masken.dir/Earband-Halter.dir/Diverse/.computed -c /var/lib/Repetier-Server/database/renderer.json

On the "Offload-Repetier" (on faster Server) just for rendering-work:
    [22.11.2021 19:30:56] : While executing:/usr/local/Repetier-Server/bin/RepetierRenderer -i "/var/lib/Repetier-Server/tmp/5adefb81-5138-4be9-9993-5e23abf1aeb4/Diverse Earband Halter 2021.01.rmf" -c /var/lib/Repetier-Server/tmp/5adefb81-5138-4be9-9993-5e23abf1aeb4/renderer.json

• As mentioned for 3mf files it is random if it works or not. If you have other file formats like stl please post them for testing if they do not render. Not all producers use correct format due to misinterpreting standards, but with the file in question I can test why it does not work and eventually find a solution.