Options for Ender 3 Max (Similar to Pro / v2)

Hi Everyone,

I am working on using the firmware config tool to setup my ender.  I have successfully configured and run repetier-firmware on my other printers (non Creality) just fine.  Does anybody know which motherboard type to select in the repetier-firmware tool for the Ender 3 Max, it's a Creality V4. 2.2 silent Motherboard with TMC2208 drivers that comes in the Ender 3 Max.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• TMC2208 are not supported in V1 firmware. You need to use Firmware V2 for this, but the list of supported boards is not that big here, so chances are high that it is currently supported. But I don't know which board is used. When I know I can say if it should be possible with a simple board definition or not.
  • Gotcha.  Okay so maybe not supported yet.  The Ender 3 Max uses the Creality 4.2.2 board.  

I know Repetier is not Marlin (duh lol) but just to give you an idea, in Marlin I use this:

default_envs = STM32F103RET6_creality
    #warning “Creality 4.2.2 boards may have A4988 or TMC2208_STANDALONE drivers. Check your board and make sure to select the correct DRIVER_TYPE!”

Maybe it is not supported yet? 
  • We have a skr_mini_e3_v2_0 supported that uses the same chip at least. 

How good are your programming skills? I can not test such a board even if I write the code as I do not have it. But I could fetch pinmap or more from marlin. 

You should know that V2 is different in configuration - no tool and more like a macro language to build printer description. Makes config much smaller then marlin but needs a bit more of understanding.
  • I am an adequate programmer specifically by trade in nodejs / javascript.  Other languages are understandable to me, the firmware config files in Arduino IDE are something I can work with and I understand how to edit pins.h for example, I work with raw Marlin firmware often. 
  • V2 uses visual studio code, something you might know as javascript programmer. Please have a look at
    https://github.com/repetier/Repetier-Firmware/tree/dev2
    and the documentation mentioned in the readme. The sample config is a good start I guess as it is for cartesian printer, just wrong board.

When I'm finished with server release I will have a look and try to add a basic board definition for the ender, so that it should compile at least and hopefully some basic function work.
  • @Repetier -  I live in Vscode -_- sadly and happily, both at once. 

I'll take a look and thank you.  Just for reference, I love Repetier and you have made my print-farm a dream, or as close to it as one can get (yes, there are still disaster, print fails, spaghetti and bed-level panic fridays, but... atleast I know my firmware and server will not crash haha) 
  • Ok, some good news. I needed to dive deep into marlin handling for boards to get the SKR2 running, so now I can also see and understand how it should work for the ender board. I will try to get it included next week.

Regarding versions I saw board files for CREALITY_V4210, CREALITY_V427, CREALITY_V431, CREALITY_V452 and CREALITY_V453 so gues version 4.2.2 is using pins like in 4.2.10 and in between there are only board revisions.
  • @Repetier
     - Awesome, today is my Birthday, so this is a good birthday gift haha.  I have an Ender 3 Max with a 4.2.2 board if you need any info or data to help out.

The boards have minor improvements between versions AFAIK for example:
    • 4.2.2 and 4.2.7 have stepper drivers built-in and are called "silent boards"
    • 4.2.2 uses TMC2208 
    • 4.2.7 uses TMC2225
    They 4.2.2 and 4.2.7 also have dedicated ports for filament run-out sensors and BLTouch which may need some pin diagnosis.  

I have used Marlin 2.0.8 and TH3D on the 4.2.2 board fine with the BLTouch / Homing options enabled so it does not have any special magical setup, just some custom pinouts maybe.

Otherwise most of the boards are pretty similar.  The vast majority of Ender models now have 4.2.2 shipped in them and 4.2.7 as an optional upgrade.
  • Happy birthday:-)

Since you already have a working marlin config, can you post that. I'm especially interested how they solved the UART problem - do they have one uart per driver or do they use daisy chaining?
  • @Repetier ;https://github.com/ChadDevOps/Marlin-Ender-3-Max

That is for the Ender 3 Max which is the model I have, it's running the creality 4.2.2 with BL Touch (using the built in BL Touch connector not the Z End-Stop)
  • Also thank you for the happy birthday.  The creality boards all work mostly the same, feel free to use me as a guinea pig for testing anything, I am capable of building Repetier and also flashing it, I do it almost daily. 
  • Ok have uploaded new v2 firmware with creality boards defined. I think it should compile. Could at least with one config. Of course no testing as I do not have the board.
  • I have an Ender 3 Max AND an Ender 3v2.

For the past year I've been using Marlin, unfortunately TWO different firmware sources which I'd like to change. Using ONE source seems to me to make more sense and easier to maintain.

I've been using OctoPrint as well. But in desire to consolidate I wanted to run everything off one relatively "beefy" machine. Getting tired of maintaining a bunch of machines that basically all do the same thing. OctoPrint doesn't OFFICIALLY support multi-printers but it can be done and I've configured it so. Unfortunately the Enders don't have serial numbers so port selection can be a right PITA! Yes they work, but if one printer hiccups it tends to interrupt the OTHER printer resulting in a LOT of wasted time and filament.

Thus the desire to switch to Repetier. Multi-Printers, Mulitcams, one interface, ya ya ya.

Anywhooo, I'd like to give the Repetier firmware a whirl. I've compiled Marlin numerous times so I'm familiar with the process. I'm not a programmer, more of a hack, lol. So I'm not sure where to start with Repetier.

I've cloned the github dev2 branch and I'm sorta stuck there.  What to do next?
  • Normally you copy one of the sample configs coming closest to your printer and adjust board and pin numbers. The docs for configuration are also quite detailed, so adjusting with description on what the commands do or alternatives matching can be found there.

It all breaks down that in configuration_io.h you describe your machine by macros for each hardware part from low level like pins over higher levels like heater to high level functions like extruder with motor and heater.

But question is to general to see where exactly you are stuck.
  • Hi all, I have the Ender 3 Max with 4.2.7 board. I am running Repetier Server on a PI. Are there any update/driver to connect to this printer. I tried seting up the printer in Repeater Server and it says that it is connected but I can't control my printer. I would prefer not to have to upload new firmware. I uploaded the Creality 2.0.8 firmware from the Creality site. I just don't want to reck anything on this printer. If I absolutely have to update the firmware I can do it. I edited firmware many times on my TEVO with the Gen L 1.0 board Using the Arduino IDE.
  • Did you check if firmware was set correctly? Guess they use Marlin variant. You might want to upgrade to 1.2.1 first where connection handling is improved and also some bugs in wizard got fixed.

When server says connected go to console and disable all filter and see if it responds e.g. on
    M114
    or if it is not talking/causing some errors or what else goes wrong on some settings not matching.
  • would this work on the ender 2 pro / creality 4.2.3, sorry, cant find any info on the steppers
  • What is the difference between the Ender 3 V2 and the Ender 3 Pro?
  • grahamvid said:
    What is the difference between the Ender 3 V2 and the Ender 3 Pro?
    i'm confused between these two....
  • edited March 6
    grahamvid said:
    What is the difference between the Ender 3 V2 and the Ender 3 Pro? 
    The Ender 3 Pro's Meanwell PSU does offer some improvement over the base model due to the more efficient fans, but it is a modest improvement. The V2 includes an upgraded silent mainboard with improved quiet motor drivers that drastically reduce the sound of the printer motors.