Are the axis motors supposed to output power when moving?

edited September 2021 in Questions & Answers
I just changed the firmware on my maker select v2 from marlin to repetier. I noticed that when you move the extruder on the x axis fast, it powers the fan and the lcd screen for a moment. I don't remember this happening before. It also happens with all the axis. I don't have it plugged into the wall either. This might be a stupid question but I haven't found anything online.

Comments

• You mean you manually move it? Don't do it fast! It works like a dynamo putting energy back into the board if you move manually. Samy principle like e-cars load battery when breaking. If you move to fast you might break your electronics. There are special sockets between driver and board to prevent this if required.
  • Repetier said:
    You mean you manually move it? Don't do it fast! It works like a dynamo putting energy back into the board if you move manually. Samy principle like e-cars load battery when breaking. If you move to fast you might break your electronics. There are special sockets between driver and board to prevent this if required.
    Yeah, when ever I move it fast the lcd screen lights up for a second. But thanks for the info. It just surprised me because I didn't notice it doing that before.