installation error

edited June 2021 in Windows
Hi,

I am using Windows 10 and I have an XYZ Davinci 1.0 3d Printer.  I managed to flash the printer hard drive and install the Repetier firmware version 0.91.  But I think I need to install the software on my computer as well.  I tried to install Repetier Host version 2.2.2.  But I get an error message when installing.  The error message reads as follows:  "Download failed:  403 Forbidden: body content-type denied."  I can still install the software though.  But then towards the end of the installation I get another error message which reads as follows:  "Unable to execute file:  C:\Users\Vincent\AppData\Local\Temp\is-1CCBB.tmp\RepetierServerLatest.exe    CreateProcess failed; code 2.  The system cannot find the file specified."  Then when I run the program it does not seem to work right.  In imported a file I had previously drawn in Fusion 360 and the object just looks something like a two dimensional rectangle, sort of.  My design looks nothing at all like that.  It is actually a small tube with a 90 degree bend in it.  What is going on?  How can I get this software working properly?

Thanks in advance,

Vincent

Comments

• The installer tries to download  Repetier-Server which fails. It is an executable and apparently your virus scanner or proxy prevents it from being downloaded from inside the installer. So either disable that during install or in the install options uncheck  Repetier-Server installation, then no download happens. If you want to print using  Repetier-Server  you can download it manually from https://www.repetier-server.com and install afterwards. Then hopefully settings are correct for the fusion file.

Regarding the fusion problem if it still persists. Post a link to the stl/obj you exported and an image and I can try or check why it fails.
  • So far so good.  I uninstalled Repetier Host from my computer, redownloaded it and reinstalled it.  This time I unchecked the server option and this time it installed with no error messages.  Good.  Ok.  Regarding the Fusion problem, I will get back to you on that.  Thanks for your help so far.  - Vincent
  • edited June 2021
    Ok.  Update... It seems that I was using a demented version of the drawing.  I have created another version of it in Fusion 360 and saved it as an obj file and that one seems to open properly and look right in the Repetier Host program.  (The colors seem to vary in the drawing - blue and pink - but I guess that is just because of the various curves.  I am guessing that that is not a problem.)  So for the moment everything seems to be working.  Thank you very much for your help.  (Now I just need to learn how to use this software to properly print this drawing.  I may have more questions.)  
  • blue and pink is to see if normals point to wrong direction. Pink is the inside and should not be visible on the outside. Depending on slicer this can cause slicing errors. I normally export my objects as stl (also obj should be better) and never had side problems as far as I remember. If you check the gear icon there is a fix normals function, but that is not fail proof all the times. But it tries to fix orientation so all normals point outwards.
  • Hi Repetier, 

This is to let you know that I used an STL file and now the object to be printed looks right in the Repetier Host program.  I also tried to use the function you specified about fixing normals with an obj file.  It did not help.  But as I wrote above, I was able to solve the problem with an STL file.  I now have new and different problems.  If I cannot solve them on my own I may have more questions for you.  Thank you for your help so far.

-Vincent
  • Ok.  Some progress has been made but there are some new problems.

The software and firmware is all now properly installed.  But here are the new problems:

First, the filament broke and I needed to load it into the extruder.  I watched some videos about that and they show a specific command in the regular XYZware software for doing that.  I cannot find any such command in the Repetier software or firmware.  I also downloaded the manual for Repetier and did not see any discussion about loading the filament into the extruder.  What I ended up doing was just starting the print job and then pushing the filament firmly down into the extruder while it was moving around and trying to print.  I was also pressing a small bar near where the filament enters the extruder which loosens the pathway and helps the filament get in.  Doing these things worked and the filament got loaded into the extruder.  But loading the filament in this way is very awkward and it is surely not the correct way to do it.  What is the proper way to load filament into the extruder in an XYZ printer using Repetier software?

Next there were problems with the actual printing.  First, I could see that during the printing part of the printed object had lifted off of the bed by about 1/8 or ¼ inch and just stayed suspended in the air like that.  Next I also saw that at one point the printed object moved significantly on the bed while the printing was going on.  I would estimate that the orientation of the object rotated by about 10 degrees.  Not good.  And I was not watching continually so it probably moved at other times as well.  And when the print job was about half way done I saw that the printed object had rotated about 90 degrees from its original orientation.  At that point I stopped the print job.  So I need to get the printed object to stick to the bed and stay still.  The final, half printed object looked pretty screwed up.  I have attached some pictures of it, as well as two pictures of what the object is supposed to look like.  

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/9f12fd_2b6d9a3e48874fe8a31dcba2628a82a7~mv2.jpg

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/9f12fd_9b6956c825184796b53f46761e1b241f~mv2.jpg

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/9f12fd_b83cd6c8c79d41b68057b6035c90aea5~mv2.jpg

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/9f12fd_a02eca1d54424535a7486f139c5420f2~mv2.jpg

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/9f12fd_e243fcfdae714fbba858c18eea858f65~mv2.jpg

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/9f12fd_d3cd4c4e5678420992ec8107bd5ef785~mv2.jpg

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/9f12fd_af16c88cab664a7eb666e9970104e60e~mv2.jpg

Earlier on (before the above described print job) I decided that maybe the bed was too low and also that maybe the temperatures were too low.  I raised the bed height (by changing the Z Home Pos number in the Config->Firmware EEPROM Configuration page from -3 to 0) and tried to raise the temperatures in the Manual Controls page.  (Also, in Configuration->Printer Settings ->Printer page I reset the default extruder printer temp to 260 degrees Celsius and the default bed temp to 110 degrees Celsius.  I think the filament I am using is ABS.) 

I noticed that when the printer tried to print it used a default extruder temperature of 240 (different from what I told it).  (Also, at times I was unable to set the extruder temperature above 240 in the Manual Controls page.)  Also, the system took the new temperatures I gave it (on the Manual Controls page) before the printing started (260 for the extruder and 120 for the bed) but then when it started to print it set lower temperatures (210 and 50, I think) and the extruder and bed temperatures decreased quickly.  But then I noticed that the system set the temperatures higher again as the printing went on and the temperatures went back up.  I am not sure what all that was about.

Anyway, the basic problems here are:  I need to know how to properly load the filament into the extruder; and I need to know how to make the printed object stick to the bed and not come off of the bed and certainly not spin around while the printing is going on.

Any help will be appreciated.

Vincent

• Loading/unloading filament is different from printer to printer, but what always works is heat extruder and use in manual controls the extruder move buttons. Unload = unretract until motor has no grip, then pull the rest by hand.

Loading is insert manually until motor then push by hand while extruding until it grips. Then extrude until it comes out in correct color.

What material are you using? From temperature it sounds like ABS. Make sure in firmware and host max. temperatures are allowed you try to set. Also in firmware max.pwm might need to be adjusted to reach temperatures.

ABS has the known effect named warping where during cooling it shrinks a lot so objects get bigger up forces and might loos bed contact if adhesion is not high enough. When that happens it gets more likely to hit such a part and push the object off bed. The bigger the objects are the more problems you get. That is why most print with PLA where such problems more or less do not exist. But material is more brittle so for functional objects that might not be an option.

What works best for good adhesion depends on bed and coating, filament and temperatures. There are sprays to increase adjesion like 3d lack. Or special coatings like buildtak, just to name 2 solutions.