Repetier Server on A20 OlinuXino Lime

edited April 2021 in Questions & Answers
Hello!

I own a Stratomaker 3D printer. It was built by a French company few years ago, and is now discontinued. The company also stopped its 3D printing related activities over a year ago.

This printer is equipped with a A20 OlinuXino Lime board, without NAND chip and the controller is STM32 based, connected to the OX via USB.
I managed to flash a SDCard with the latest minimal debian image available (found here: http://images.olimex.com/release/a20/)

It boots and detects all the components.
Then I proceeded with installing and configuring both nginx and Repetier-Server.

The Repetier dashboard is accessible and works well. 
Printer's mainboard is detected by repetier, and the configuration can start after connecting and pulling data from firmware.
So far, so good.

However, I am encountering one issue at this point.
While Repetier is trying to communicate with the mainboard, I lose the connection with the server and the configuration seems to hang there, as seen here : https://i.postimg.cc/05GmWY7B/chrome-lt-FOQYif-Dg.png 

Does anyone have experience with this specific board?

Comments

• Since parallel sending seems to fail already select in wizard to only use ping pong mode and not test several combinations. You can still change it later when you find out what is the problem. But there are other firmwares/boards that choke on parallel commands so just stay with ping-pong if that is the case.
    Hope that it then continues to the other parts. Also at this point a printer already exists if you do not abort, just with wrong settings you would need to adjust in printer configuration then.
  • Thank you for your answer!

The printer I am using has a STM32 based mainboard controlled by the OlinuXino through its OTG USB port.
    I disconnected it from there and switched to a regular USB. It worked first try and much faster!

Almost everything is setup now, including embedded webcam.

Right now I am trying to figure out how to control the integrated led strips and get the dashboard to show up on the embedded touchscreen.

When I have everything functional, I will write an Instructable on how to make the full conversion from stock to Repetier Server :)
  • Touch screen is starting chromium in kiosk mode:

chromium-browser  --app-auto-launched --disable-pinch --incognito --noerrdialogs --disable-suggestions-service --disable-translate --disable-save-password-bubble --disable-session-crashed-bubble --disable-infobars --touch-events=disabled --disable-gesture-typing --kiosk --app=http://127.0.0.1:3344/modules/front2/app/app.html &

in our pi image we have it in openbox autostart (home/.config/openbox) but that of course only works with autobox as window manager. But others also have autostart function.
  • Hello,
    Sorry, did not realise you wrote back.

I managed to get the screen working and I see the login box showing up. 

Regarding the autostart file, mine is located in /etc/xdg/openbox and I included the line you mentioned.
    I also edited the file /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf for autologin and remove the cursor.

Right now, all I have is a blank screen without a cursor.

From an SSH console, I can see Chromium is running... and, I am stuck :')
  • Problem is with linux and all these window managers there are hundreds of combinations. The most important part is to start chromium after server on the visible display screen (some have multiple displays).

From console you can check:
    export DISPLAY=:0
    chromium-browser  --app-auto-launched --disable-pinch --incognito --noerrdialogs --disable-suggestions-service --disable-translate --disable-save-password-bubble --disable-session-crashed-bubble --disable-infobars --touch-events=disabled --disable-gesture-typing --kiosk --app=http://127.0.0.1:3344/modules/front2/app/app.html &

and see if it appears. DISPLAY sets the display. You might have 2 so :1 might be the one you see. You can also try any other x app like xclock if installed and see it it appears. If it appears with :0 your autostart might not be run. openbox path only works if openbox is your window manager. But since it is running it does not sound that bad.
  • Ok, I added this in the autostart file:
    export DISPLAY=:0.0
    Now I have the dashboard on the printer's screen, YEAH!

Final step is to find out how to get the touchpanel to work.
  • Great. Touchpanel requires driver support. Many need to be configurated with xinput_calibrator and then you need to add the config. Hope with these as search term you will advance.
  • "Error: No calibratable devices found."

Alright, I'll head to olimex forums for this matter.
    Thanks a tons for your support!