Server freezing

So recently I can't get anything printed. The Raspi pi server freezes, and shows all printers as "not connected" and I have to shut down. The other day it did it after a 3 day print was 80% in, and today after only a few hours. The first time was one printer running, today was 2 and they both just stopped. Touchscreen wouldn't respond, and I had to restart the server, therefore ruining the prints. 

I haven't changed anything since using it successfully multiple times. I can't figure out what the cause is.

So where do I look for clues here? I'm assuming there is a log file? I need to figure this out for obvious reasons. Not going to start another print that's going to fail.

Comments

• First check if your disk is full. Full and damaged sd cards can cause unpredicted probelms. Hope you always shut down server before unpowering. Not doing so will cause data defects on sd card.

In logs of printer you see server.log where disconnections of printers are logged and syslog (/var/log/syslog) which is linux log file and can also contain data about problems. For prints you need to have enabled logging before which can be done in same screen.

Also have a look at the bolt icon if you might have power problems. When it is not white any more check if linux had underpower in past. When that happens linux might disconnect usb ports. There is a option in serial config to continue after fast reconnect. Just for that case when linux did a disconnect we can not prevent it would continue without resetting (if driver allows it).

If you can, login via ssh when it happens to check what is going on. Or to see a problem arising connect before when testing and run "top" to see cpu/memory usage and the most consuming parts. Might also give an answer.

Some printers allow a dry run mode where heaters to not run for testing without loosing filament:
    M111 S14
    would enable it if supported. Or you slice without extrusion for testing (temperature 0, flow factor 0 might work. Or use Mach 3 firmware style so extrusion is on letter A and ignored.).

If you have a free sd card you can also directly install new image there to rule out the sd card problems which are hard to catch sometimes. Especially if it worked all well before it is the most likely reason when disk is not full then.
  • Disk is not full, but I can try another one just to check. Pi is always shutdown by shutting down the server first either in the touchscreen, or via browser, then the pi is shut down. Last undervoltage and cpu throttle = never. Below is a section of the server.log I believe shows something but I don't know what? At least it's where the last incident happened... 2021-05-06 19:30:43: error: Reading serial conection failed: End of file. Closing connection. 2021-05-06 19:30:43: error: Reading serial conection failed: End of file. Closing connection. 2021-05-06 19:30:43: Connection closed during print ... trying reconnect for 10 seconds to continue ... 2021-05-06 19:30:43: Port closed for Lexa 2021-05-06 19:30:43: Connection closed: Lexa 2021-05-06 19:30:43: Connection closed during print ... trying reconnect for 10 seconds to continue ... 2021-05-06 19:30:43: Port closed for Derby 2021-05-06 19:30:43: Connection closed: Derby 2021-05-06 19:45:49: Websocket opened 2021-05-06 19:45:58: Websocket opened 2021-05-06 19:46:05: Execute error response:Failed to query server: Refusing activation, D-Bus is shutting down.
  • edited May 2021
    Disk is not full, but I can try another one just to check. Pi is always shutdown by shutting down the server first either in the touchscreen, or via browser, then the pi is shut down. Last undervoltage and cpu throttle = never.

Below is a section of the server.log I believe shows something but I don't know what? At least it's where the last incident happened. By the way, "Lexa" and "Derby" are the 2 printers that were running. My granddaughter named them. :)

2021-05-06 19:30:43: error: Reading serial conection failed: End of file. Closing connection.
    2021-05-06 19:30:43: error: Reading serial conection failed: End of file. Closing connection.
    2021-05-06 19:30:43: Connection closed during print ... trying reconnect for 10 seconds to continue ...
    2021-05-06 19:30:43: Port closed for Lexa
    2021-05-06 19:30:43: Connection closed: Lexa
    2021-05-06 19:30:43: Connection closed during print ... trying reconnect for 10 seconds to continue ...
    2021-05-06 19:30:43: Port closed for Derby
    2021-05-06 19:30:43: Connection closed: Derby
    2021-05-06 19:45:49: Websocket opened
    2021-05-06 19:45:58: Websocket opened
    2021-05-06 19:46:05: Execute error response:Failed to query server: Refusing activation, D-Bus is shutting down.
  • From this log I only see that the serial connection was closed. The strange thing is that both serials closed same time. This is normally when linux disconnects usb. You should look in /var/lib/syslog at that timestamp if there is anything regarding usb. When you say underpower never was that after the disconnect or after a new start of pi? Important is after disconnect.

You should also enable print logging sou you see when there is a problem. There are cases depending on your configuration where server will reconnect usb to fix possible hanging serial drivers. Normally you see a few seconds later in server.log that printer get reconnected. Did that happen here as well? That last line looks really strange and D-Bus is a linux communication system that is important, so if it shuts down it is a bad sign that linux has a problem if nothing later was logged.