Server keeps refusing connection after 4-5 days

Hey all - I'm about at my witts end with the server...

Every couple days I have to reboot the RPi 4 (4GB) because the server starts to refuse connection and I can't connect remotely. I can see the server in my WiFi list, it has the same IP, but the server refuses any connection. I have to reboot it on order for the server to be accessible again. 

When I was using Octoprint, on the same RPi, never had this issue... but with your platform, it never stays connected. Is there something going on where this server needs a more powerful server than a Pi?

Thanks!

Comments

• Pi should be fine. I can and have them running much longer. Can you still login over ssh to the pi?
    Do you have any own additions? There are a few reasons why connections are refused. One is all file handles are used. Check yout pid:
    ps aux|grep tier
    repetie+   492  3.4  1.8  46476 17812 ?        S<sl Jan28 825:40 /usr/local/Repetier-Server/bin/RepetierServer -c /usr/local/Repetier-Server/etc/RepetierServer.xml --daemon
    pi       16116  0.0  0.0   7348   540 pts/0    S+   09:02   0:00 grep --color=auto tier

Here pid is 492
    Then check open files:
    sudo ls /proc/492/fd/
    Not 492 must be replaced with PID.

Next is test number of running threads:

ps huH p  492 | wc -l

If this is high number say more than 40 it might be a dead lock. Then please send me a full back trace for analysis as described here:

https://www.repetier-server.com/knowledgebase/debugging-crashes-hangs-on-linux/

I can see from this if that is the case. Before make sure to use 1.0.3 where no possible dead locks are known. We know older versions had some of these that could happen, so using the latest version might already help.
  • Hi @Repetier,

Thanks for the reply! 

When I am blocked from accessing the GUI, I am also not able to connect via SSH.
    Thanks for the command suggestions, here's the output:
    pi@Repetier-Server:~ $ sudo ls /proc/790/fd/
    0  1  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  18  2  20  3  4  5  6  7  8  9
    And the number of threads running says 22. 

I do have 2x Ender 5+ machines connected, so not sure if this is a high number or low number. BUT.. I am on server version 0.94.3, so I'll do an upgrade when these prints finish tomorrow and we'll see how we go. 
  • Numbers are ok. I have around the same. They vary a bit depending on what is going on, but these are fine.
    When the system starts using too many resources it might also block ssh. Already had that I needed to be quick to get debugger started before I could not do anything.

Does the print stop as well when this happens?
  • Nah, that's the good thing at least... the prints still keep going. 

I've done the upgrade, we'll see how it goes now.
  • Hi @Repetier - So I just attempted to login to the UI and I get the 'Server Refused Connection' again.

IP is still allocated on my Router configuration
    SSH access is not accepting connections as it times out
  • Do you have a display and can you connect a keyboard to switch locally to a console. If linux is still running you could check the state that way. If you have is the server still running on it locally?

In the other case you need to reboot and hope that /var/log/syslog contains some hints at the timestamp where it happened. But if it is crashed driver you might not see anything. 
    Alternatively connecting with ethernet cable could make you able to login via ssh as well. eth0 is independent from wifi driver.