XY howls

Hi

I'am new to arduino and repetier, so sorry if I ask about something that has been answered several times. Have searched but not really found answers to my question.

Have built a cnc mill, however, I have a problem with the X and Y axis. Min/Max on all 3 axles are set, set a temporary size on all axlis. Selected cnc mill, and the steppe motors are connected correctly, the power is set right, but still I find that X and Y will not really move as they should.

Printer type is chosen to Cartesian, but have also tried others. At small steps they (mostly) want to move, but during larger steps/longer distances, they only howl as if the frequency is too large, but have not yet found where I set this, if that is where the problem is?

What am I doing wrong?

Comments

• What controller board do you have,
    are the micro step jumpers fitted 
  • edited February 2021
    null
    Sorry, Mega 2560 and ramps 1.4, no jumpers yet
  • If motors make sound without moving you are hearing the steps lost. Reasons:
    - microsteps not selected as you thought
    - Steps per mm too high
    - Jerk too high
    - Acceleration to high
    - Only one coil gets electricity in motor. But then they never really move.
    - End speed too high (but then they start moving just stop at some speed).
    - Not enough current - adjustable on drivers.
    - Motion is physically blocked or requires high force from friction.

Start with low jerk (5) and acceleration (100) and use F in gcode to test with different speeds. When it moves you can start increasing or check the other points.
  • null
    Is first at it tomorrow but will start putting jumpers in, after this I will try out some of the possible things you write. Not setup with jerk.
  • edited February 2021
    MartinH said:
    What controller board do you have,
    are the micro step jumpers fitted 
    Repetier said:
    If motors make sound without moving you are hearing the steps lost. Reasons:
    - microsteps not selected as you thought
    - Steps per mm too high
    - Jerk too high
    - Acceleration to high
    - Only one coil gets electricity in motor. But then they never really move.
    - End speed too high (but then they start moving just stop at some speed).
    - Not enough current - adjustable on drivers.
    - Motion is physically blocked or requires high force from friction.

Start with low jerk (5) and acceleration (100) and use F in gcode to test with different speeds. When it moves you can start increasing or check the other points.
    Quick test with jumpers, and just immediately it seemed to be the problem. Hos come that Z axis can run full step, but X and Y can not?

Thanks for the solution and the coding. Now I can move on with calibration.
  • With more microstepping all values go down. So from full to 1/16 acceleration/jerk/speed are all just 1/16 until you increase steps per mm again. Belt/rod have different steps/mm so what works on rod might be too much for belt beacuse resolution is just wrong.
  • Repetier said:
    With more microstepping all values go down. So from full to 1/16 acceleration/jerk/speed are all just 1/16 until you increase steps per mm again. Belt/rod have different steps/mm so what works on rod might be too much for belt beacuse resolution is just wrong.
    Ok, use belt. Also say thanks for the quick config on the site, although it probably comes to many different questions the further forward I get.
  • Repetier said:
    With more microstepping all values go down. So from full to 1/16 acceleration/jerk/speed are all just 1/16 until you increase steps per mm again. Belt/rod have different steps/mm so what works on rod might be too much for belt beacuse resolution is just wrong.
    Thought I had set the jerk to 0, but can see that it says as default 20-0.3

Before I only chose to put jumpers on X and Y, today I have put jumpers on Z as well, but have difficulty adjusting step per mm as the acceleration is too small.
  • Jerk needs a minimum value which will be enforced.

What does acceleration to small mean? Must be bigger then 0 - for z 100 is enough, for xy 500 would be a low value for belts. Normally 1000-2000.
  • Was in the process of measuring step per mm, which did not seem to work as expected. Set Z down to 1/8 and step per mm on all asix to standard 80, seemed to work, but needed to quit, so did not get measured..

In the first attempt, Y moved about 5mm by pressing 5 in the host program, afterwards it seemed that movement at 5 was 50mm, is this not more correct?
  • When you change microsteps you need to change steps per mm multiplier by the corresponding factor or moves will get different distances!
  • Yesterday I counted a certain number of steps and measured the distance, calculated how many steps per mm and entered it, but did not seem to make it work.  Is 5 by pressing the arrow in the host program, 5 mm or 50 mm?
  • Values are mm in host so 5 is 5mm.
  • null
    Thank you