Windows keeps losing USB communications

I decided to use my Microsoft Surface (Windows 10 Pro) as a server for a couple other printers (was just serving my Delta).  The other printers are Creality Ender 3 and an Ender 3 Pro.   I am have a great deal of difficulty with the USB communications.  I can connect to the printers during setup and it seems like it all works, but the COMs drop out constantly.   I will have to unplug the USB cable and reconnect to regain the connection in server.   It happens while printing (port busy) and when idle (ports not busy).   I thought maybe it was the USB driver the printers were using.   A while back I had installed the CH340 driver for some Arduino clones and thought maybe it was a rogue driver (the Enders use same COM chip).   I removed the driver and replaced it with the one from Creality.  Appeared to be same driver though and I am having the same results.   Comm drops after a bit.   Not 100% sure of the time interval.   Below is the output from the server console last time it happened on one of the printers.   I left it working at 9:15am.  I believe the last line occurred when I returned home after work and tried to use Server to turn on the extruder heater.  Somewhere in between it must have dis-connected.  Is there a more detailed log some where?   Any idea where to start looking for the problem?  Thanks all!

Mesg: 9:14:08.571: Warning: Communication timeout - resetting communication buffer.
Mesg: 9:14:08.571: Connection status: Buffered:37, Manual Commands: 0, Job Commands: 0
Mesg: 9:14:08.571: Buffer used:37 Enforced free byte:0 lines stored:2
Mesg: 9:14:28.827: Warning: Communication timeout - resetting communication buffer.
Mesg: 9:14:28.827: Connection status: Buffered:37, Manual Commands: 0, Job Commands: 0
Mesg: 9:14:28.827: Buffer used:37 Enforced free byte:0 lines stored:2
Mesg: 9:15:51.750: Warning: Communication timeout - resetting communication buffer.
Mesg: 9:15:51.750: Connection status: Buffered:37, Manual Commands: 0, Job Commands: 0
Mesg: 9:15:51.750: Buffer used:37 Enforced free byte:0 lines stored:2
Mesg: 9:15:51.750: Warning: Too many timeouts without response - disabling timeout message!
Mesg:19:28:29.444: Connection closed by os.

Comments

• I'm not familiar enough with windows logging, but I'd check windows events around the time the com port was closed and try to see if there are some hints like driver crashed or usb unplugged. From this you only see the time when windows did close the com port, but server will never know why this happens.