Advice on setup of small print farm

Hi,

I just wanted to get some advice on setting up a small print farm and any particular suggestions for improvements.

I need to setup 7 printers (6x Ender 3 V2's + 1x Ender 3 Pro).

Currently, I have 1x Ender 3 V2 and 1x Ender 3 Pro connected to my Raspberry Pi 3B+ which is running Repetier Server.

I am thinking about connecting 3 printers to the first raspberry pi and 4 printers to a second raspberry pi. Both pi's will have a wired ethernet connection to a network switch which will, in turn, be connected to a tp-link powerline kit. 

1. Would this work / be okay to have 3/4 printers per raspberry pi?

2. How many pro licences would I need?

Many thanks

Comments

• Yes, that works in general. Only when you have webcams with too high resolution/frame rates or power problems that gets a problem.

Every pi needs one license so 2 in total leaving 3 free licenses.
  • Repetier said:
    Yes, that works in general. Only when you have webcams with too high resolution/frame rates or power problems that gets a problem.

Every pi needs one license so 2 in total leaving 3 free licenses.

Hi,

How do I actually setup the second raspberry pi.

At the moment there are 4 printers connected and working well with raspberry pi #1 (via serial/path/). It is connected to a network switch using an ethernet cable.

Do I just plugin raspberry pi #2 to the network switch the same way and connect a printer to it and it will appear in repetier-server.local when setting up a new printer or do I need to do something else?

Currently running free version but want to understand the steps better so I can do it in a few days.

• Yes, you do exactly that. Just you should rename the old pis name to something else. There can be only one repetier-server.local so change the host name on the old one to something you like. Or use ip which always works.
  • Repetier said:
    Yes, you do exactly that. Just you should rename the old pis name to something else. There can be only one repetier-server.local so change the host name on the old one to something you like. Or use ip which always works.
    Hi, so I've gone ahead and given that a try today. I can access both pi's which I've renamed to server1 and server2.

On the new raspberry pi I cannot find the printer when I try and add it. I have tried changing the USB and restarting the pi & network switch. Any ideas? 
  • Do you see the connection in /dev/serial/by-path or by-id? If not linux does not see the device or does not have serial support for that type. In that case check with lsusb if linux sees the usb device at all and what type it is. Maybe just driver module needs to be loaded. At least you have something to google for.
  • Repetier said:
    Do you see the connection in /dev/serial/by-path or by-id? If not linux does not see the device or does not have serial support for that type. In that case check with lsusb if linux sees the usb device at all and what type it is. Maybe just driver module needs to be loaded. At least you have something to google for.
    Hi,

No, unfortunately I don't see /dev/serial/by-path or by-id. So far all I have done is downloaded the raspberry pi image and used BalenaEtcher to put it on the sd card. I have then inserted the SD card into the second raspberry pi. I have connected the raspberry pi to the network switch and can access it locally. I have then renamed the servername.

• You did not say you connected a printer to it. Forgotten to mention or not done? Without nothing will appear. Each instance only shows the locally connected printers.
  • Sorry, just to clarify. I have connected the printer to it but it does not appear 
  • Ok, so what does lsusb show then?
  • pi@server2:~ $ lsusb
    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0424:7800 Standard Microsystems Corp.
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:2514 Standard Microsystems Corp. USB 2.0 Hub
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:2514 Standard Microsystems Corp. USB 2.0 Hub
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    pi@server2:~ $
  • None of them looks like a serial usb device. So seems some defect somewhere. Try different usb port or different usb cable. Since no device is visible it will also not show up. Here a little test on my pi with prusa printer connected:
    root@RepetierServer:/home/pi# lsusb
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 005: ID 1a86:e2e3 QinHeng Electronics 
    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 214b:7250  
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 2c99:0002  
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 2109:3431 VIA Labs, Inc. Hub

After disconnecting:
    root@RepetierServer:/home/pi# lsusb
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 005: ID 1a86:e2e3 QinHeng Electronics 
    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 214b:7250  
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 2109:3431 VIA Labs, Inc. Hub

So the now missing Bus 001 Device 003: ID 2c99:0002   is the prusa printer. That way you can check any usb device to be connected.
  • SOLVED: Turns out the problem was my USB cable. I've changed the cable and it all works.

Bus 001 Device 007: ID 1a86:7523 QinHeng Electronics HL-340 USB-Serial adapter
    Bus 001 Device 008: ID 1a86:7523 QinHeng Electronics HL-340 USB-Serial adapter
    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0424:7800 Standard Microsystems Corp.
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:2514 Standard Microsystems Corp. USB 2.0 Hub
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:2514 Standard Microsystems Corp. USB 2.0 Hub
    pi@server2:~ $

I can confirm that the printers are now set up on the second pi and everything is working perfectly as it should do!