Best settings tweaks to create a better top layer.

What's the best way to make the top layer smooth?  Mine is a little rough compared to the first layer on the bottom (obviously I know but I thought I might be able to tweak a setting to achieve a smoother top layer).

Comments

• Bottom is smooth because it is pressed against a smooth bed surface.

For top layer you must check extrusion width (use just nozzle width or close) and use a low speed. That should give best quality.
  • I ended up taking a different approach to this.  I used a slicer called SuperSlicer (fork off the Prusa Slicer).  I downloaded it, made a folder for the binaries, dlls, etc and placed it all at "C:\Program Files\Repetier-Host\SuperSlicer" on my windows machine.  Then in Repetier-Host I added a new slicer using the "Manager" button in the slicer tab.

After that, clicking the "Configuration" button in the slicer tab brings up the SuperSlicer interface.  Set up all your settings in there to use as the defaults then when you slice in Repetier-Host it will use those settings.

The setting I was after was called IRONING.  It's located in the following place shown in the image below...

• Repetier: "For top layer you must check extrusion width (use just nozzle width or close) and use a low speed. "

Where do I indicate the extrusion width?
    And the speed for the last layer?  I only see a speed for the first layer.
  • Enable exper settings in PrusaSlicer. In advanced settings you can change extusion width. In speeds you can change speed. There is no last layer speed but a top infill speed. PrusaSlicer 2.3 will also have ironing support for flat surfaces.