Unable to (effectively) change storage directory

After recording enough timelapses to fill up the microSD card, causing it to corrupt itself, I decided that it was time to finally set up the external hard drive I had just for storing such large files. I recovered the server data, which contained all of the stored jobs and printer configuration, and copied it back to the default storage directory, restoring them to the reinstalled server. I then copied over the entire "Repetier-Server" folder in the storage directory onto the external hard drive, which had just been formatted to FAT32 (and cleaned out entirely using the native file explorer). I double checked the absolute address of this copied folder, and then proceeded to use it as the address of the storage directory in the configuration file (as instructed in the documentation). First I tried the "RepetierServer-extra.xml" method, but when I restarted the server, it refused to function (could not connect). I used the old storage directory again and it worked just fine. I repeated this with the original xml file, and I got the exact same result. I can live with this for now, but I was hoping to get the storage directory working on the external drive before I backed up the microSD card for the next incident (to avoid reinstalling everything). The server is running on a Raspberry Pi 2B with an up-to-date version of Raspbian Jessie (with PIXEL). The drive is accessible to both the file manager and the terminal.

Comments

• FAT32 is not exactly the choice I would have taken for a linux file system.

Have you checked that any user can read and write on the disk and that it is mounted on boot. Server runs as user repetierserver so this user must be able to read and write.
  • How to edit the extra.xml for new storage directory in rpi
  • Guess you mean RepetierServer-extra.xml file if you want to store it in /usr/local/Repetier-Server/etc. nano would be the editor for beginners. Run it as
    sudo nano /usr/local/Repetier-Server/etc/RepetierServer-extra.xml

And write it.