Y stepper has no current till print starts.

I've been using Repetier since 2016 on a  homebuilt machine, running very well, using Unipolar steppers on my own driver boards.
Recently I decided to go with Bipolar steppers using Polulu A2988 directly on Ramps 1.4.
The machine runs well, prints very well, but I have no current going to the Y stepper when it is NOT in print. There is no "holding" current at switch-on, or whilst waiting for heaters to warm up, and at finish of the print. (Printing is no problem.)
Any ideas anybody?

Jan

Comments

• Do the other motors keep current? Otherwise the timeout to disable motor might just be set to a short period.
  • Thanks for the reply. 
    Just to make sure, I checked the other motors as well, and it is indeed the SAME for X axis and the extruder as well. NONE of them gets current until the print starts. (X,Y and Extruder)
    I then checked  stepper timeout period, which is set to 360 seconds, as follows.
    #define STEPPER_INACTIVE_TIME 360L
    #define MAX_INACTIVE_TIME 0L

(Z is still on the original Unipolar motors and not part of the change).
    Jan
  • Before any moves all motors are power less that would be ok. Question is how it is after a move like homing.

Also check in eeprom values. There you override the config value.

• Repetier said:
    Before any moves all motors are power less that would be ok. Question is how it is after a move like homing.

Also check in eeprom values. There you override the config value.
    Thanks. Now that I know it is OK for motors to be "power less" before moves I am OK. (Did know if I had a problem or not.) The machine is fine, prints well and is well calibrated.
    (I did go in eeprom and re-set value to 0, just to be sure) 

In the end all is well and I thank you for your time. Much appreciated.

Jan