How can I suppress automatic part placing?

I want to make muli-coloured plates by printing successive parts (using different filaments) over eachother.
The problem is I can't place them all aligned on the build plate as Repetier arranges them neatly, thereby destroying correct registration of the parts. Neither can I import and print them one at a time because Repetier places each part centrally on the build plate.

So how can I accomplish what I want?

Thanks

Comments

• RH  top bar
    config/preferences/object placement
  • Drag on the right side the object on the other which builds a group. Then they are treated as having same transformations making them take same space if exported correctly.
  • MartinH said:
    RH  top bar
    BAM! Thank you Martin. I spent ages not finding that setting.
  • Repetier said:
    Drag on the right side the object on the other which builds a group. Then they are treated as having same transformations making them take same space if exported correctly.
    Thanks! Is there anything in the UI which should have told me that's a possibility?
    How would a person know from teh UI that dragging to group is apossibility. I mean - surely I'm not supposed to RTFM, right? :o)

• MartinH said:
    RH  top bar
    BAM! Thank you Martin. I spent ages not finding that setting.
    Martin - apologies - I BAM'd too soon. (it's genetic).

I've designed a name plate in Fusion 360. It's bascially a 1mm rectangular plate, and I've extruded 2 text items to make 3 component parts - the plate with the text cut out of it, and 2 pieces of just the text. In Fusion 360, they are made in the correct registration with eachother. The text fits the holes. The goal is then to print these in different filaments to make the name plate.

Now in F360 I right-click each component and "Save as STL" and open it in Repetier.
    Now, whether I have obect placement ticked or not, each new part appears in the middle of Repetier's build plate, which is no use to me.

Any further thoughts?

Thanks
  • Repetier said:
    Drag on the right side the object on the other which builds a group. Then they are treated as having same transformations making them take same space if exported correctly.
    Thanks! Is there anything in the UI which should have told me that's a possibility?
    How would a person know from teh UI that dragging to group is apossibility. I mean - surely I'm not supposed to RTFM, right? :o)

Yeah - that doesn't work either. Please see my further notes to Maritn above. I hope you can see how to help me.

Thank you.
  • Please try out first with these STL:
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2470843

I know there it works perfectly. So if it works there and not with Fusion360 then Fusion changes coordinate offsets. Don't know which coordinates they use. Important thing is you need to align the object before exporting to be at the right place.
  • Repetier said:
    Please try out first with these STL:
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2470843

I know there it works perfectly. So if it works there and not with Fusion360 then Fusion changes coordinate offsets. Don't know which coordinates they use. Important thing is you need to align the object before exporting to be at the right place.
    Thanks again, but that design is circular and both parts share the same origin, so it doesn't really exercise the problem. But it did give me an idea for a workaround. I can make the lettering parts and the background parts all share the same origin by adding a perimeter "skirt" to each which is concentric to the others. That way all parts will have the same centre point. This also has the advantage of cleaning and priming the nozzzle before each component of the plate is printed, which should make for a cleaner part.

I'd still like to know how to do this properly though. 
  • Have you tested with the example I gave you?
    Drag on right side on on the other and then it gets sliced as you need it - at leat with that example. Then you knwo how to do it and can compare with your model.
  • Repetier said:
    Have you tested with the example I gave you?
    Drag on right side on on the other and then it gets sliced as you need it - at leat with that example. Then you knwo how to do it and can compare with your model.
    I appreicate that you are trying to help me, but as I mentioned that example will not show the problem because both parts share the same origin. I'm sure it iwll work, but it's not relevant because for this reason.

• Then please show a screenshot where you grouped the 2 objects that show the problem. For me it always works so you are doing something differently then I do which you need to find out.