Filament sensor with Duet3d wifi

Hi,

currently i have the repetier server on a small micro PC running with 3 printers connected to it via USB.
One of them is a Prusa I3 MK3 with the latest filament sensor and its working perfectly, even when i'm printing something from the repetier server over USB.

Now i wanted to setup a filament sensor/monitor on one of my corexy printers, duet wifi + laser filament monitor/sensor from Duet3d. 

But i read everywhere that this would not work.

is that correct? if yes, why?
whats different to the Prusa where its working?

regards
Matt

Comments

• I don't have a duet with filament sensor, so can not say if it works or not. Filament sensor is a complicated thing.
    Prusa i3 just blocks communication until you are finished switching filament and then print goes on.

If Duet firmware does the same this would work. If you have no display there to handle it, you need a message from firmware that happens when filament out is measured. Then it is possible let me know the message and I can add it so server pauses and starts its own filament change function. You can also define it in firmwares/RepRapFirmware.xml by adding something like this:
    <response type="outOfFilamentPause" string="true">//\s*action:out_of_filament\b\s*(T\d+)?</response>
    The tag content is the regular expression that must match the out of filament message from firmware.
  • Repetier said:
    I don't have a duet with filament sensor, so can not say if it works or not. Filament sensor is a complicated thing.
    Prusa i3 just blocks communication until you are finished switching filament and then print goes on.

If Duet firmware does the same this would work. If you have no display there to handle it, you need a message from firmware that happens when filament out is measured. Then it is possible let me know the message and I can add it so server pauses and starts its own filament change function. You can also define it in firmwares/RepRapFirmware.xml by adding something like this:
    <response type="outOfFilamentPause" string="true">//\s*action:out_of_filament\b\s*(T\d+)?</response>
    The tag content is the regular expression that must match the out of filament message from firmware.
    i opened a Topic for this in the Duet forum since for now the filament monitor seams to be only activated when printing via SD card.

Matt
  • Ok, let me know when they add a message for it and I add it in the server firmware definition to be handled correctly.