Looking for best setup for 10 printer managed as a farm

Hi all, I just stumbled across this forum and I thought I would ask the question relating to the best products / setup to give best management of up to 10 printers or so? It may expand but either way I'm looking to find out the best way to set this up to manage. I have access to quite a high spec pc I can use as a server and can invest in pi units as well if need be. Just wondered what you may suggest. It would be good to get separate cameras on each unit as well with separate touch displays on each unit but open to options. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Separate touch display to each unit-> Raspberry pi 3 or faster. Pi 4 with the usb c power unit is the best here. Don't know how to get 10 displays otherwise.

Sending data is not cpu intensive and a pi4 can also handle 4 printers. One problem is always bandwidth if you start using hi res webcams or wifi is bad (so best is ethernet connection).

Otherwise a pc with linux can also handle all printers and webcams depending on resolution and number of usb ports used. Watch out with current drawn over usb. All webcams need power and most printers also draw usb over usb, so use active hubs for every group of devices. Like on any active hub 2 webcams and 2 printers or 3. So it is split on 4 native usb ports. A real pc is more reliable then a pi so normally prefered, but 10 displays is the problem here.
  • Hi and thank you so much for the crazy fast response. I can run a good spec i7 pc on linux over ethernet no problem. I can run usb powered hubs and don't mind if I have to lose the displays on the printers too much. It sounds like from what you are saying then this would be the most reliable set up
  • If you use the normal pc with linux have a look at out docs - there is a description how to setup mjpg_streamer so it is visible in server config for simple usage.
  • Repetier said:
    If you use the normal pc with linux have a look at out docs - there is a description how to setup mjpg_streamer so it is visible in server config for simple usage.
    Would it be better to install on a different OS as I have that option too?
  • Debian or Ubuntu or one of the Ubuntu derivatives would be best. Windows is not perfect for server as it installs updates and reboots when it wants and that is a bad thing with many running printers. The image exists only for raspberry pi so on a real pc you have to install webcam software in any case.