crash crash crash, "repetierhost has stopped working"

i shall try to make this brief and direct.

i have a reprap prusa. i lost the original software it came with. i had to build a new computer.

i now run win7 ultimate. 32 bit. gigabyte g41m-combo MB. latest repetier. 4Gb ram. 

downloaded and installed repetier first...got the .NET error.

went off on a tangent and tried following the wiki tutorial. one of them.

if anyone has tried following one, its a bit like reading a dictionary by looking up the meanings of each word you come across. you get seriously confused annoyed and upset. github this repository that and simply run the relevant CMD script but be aware the prEpaCKAGED BUNDLES HAVE THE WIN 64 VERSION AND MUST BE.... WHAT THE BEEP?

so, eventually i figured out how to install the dependencies and all these py.pe.pee files and such forth, and ended up with pronterface...which wont load files, etc etc etc. i cant get it to actually install as a program. but it does allow me to SD print and preheat the bed and so forth. it wont run slic3r etc. 

so then i tried cura, and with pronterface as the manual control, cura priniting, i got somewhere, slowly and painfully.

getting sick and tired of that i went back to repetier and found that .net pack and installed it.

yay, it works...and comes with cura! and i can print! quite nicely too, i must say :)

here comes the snatch. theres at least two going on here.

i load an stl. i slice it. i can look at it, preview etc, print it out, do all of that. 

but if i decide to change something on the slice, a setting, and attemp to reslice... or i happen to click the tabs a bit too fast in sequence... (ie,clicking something like preview, manual, preview, object placement,slice... within the space of say, ten seconds) or i unplug the USB without disconnecting... boom boom, computer says no! for every new file, every new slice...i have to disconnect. close, reopen, connect then do all the object placing...ARRRGH!

failure to do so results in my getting a nice popup saying 

"repetier host has stopped working."
"a problem has caused this program to stop working. windows will shut it down, search for a solution and notify you"

it never gets back to me :( stupid windows.

so...thats the main gripe. best answer i found was the "arial font package". installed that....nothing. i can load code from sd, etc etc etc... everything wiorks perfectly until i ask it to do it the 2nd time, at which point it screams and collapses in a heap...

could it be the python stuff causing a conflict? could it be a lack of video card? could it just be me thinking that having to close a program every time i want to change something as unusual is incorrect and its actually normal practise?

i dont want to uninstall all the python cus occasionally having pronterface in the background is really helpful...(keep reading)

the other issue is that if i leave it idle, say i am preheating the bed and forget, get sidetracked. i come back an hour later.... and suddenly, the things on a different COM port! it also happens about every three prints or so. it sits there, saying there are however many commands waiting., and nothing really gets it working other than closing repetier. turning off the printer. opening pronterface. restart printer. disconnect and close pronterface. open with repetier. possibly repeat cycle again. it also suddenly lists about 7 or 8 ports... refreshing dont help. pronterface does.

and then...there was one yesterday. had to clean my nozzle. on reassembly it said it was at 744C. and everything locked. it would home but i couldnt manually control it. temperature safety lock.

how to reset it? with pronterface it turned out, as i could not find any way to enter M codes in by hand in repetier (M999 in this case)

my first version of repetier i had also had an extrusion rate, while the new version does not...that was a really handy feature! 

oh well. it works as long as i remember to do everything in a particular order and dont expect too much...which is really frustrating... but i really do love being able to change the speed and temps while SD printing :) preview rather than waste time and filament... nah, i see no reason to change anything but the fact that it keeps crashing!

lord i hate computers... i can walk up to my lathe, start it up and make something but this...this you have to learn all these other things that just get in the way of what one really wants to be doing! chasing freaking geese around... 

Comments

• Man, if that is brief I don't want to see the long version :-)

First, it is not good to unplug while connected, that is right. For some reason this gets .NET/Windows confused somehow.

Python stuff does not get in it's way. Host doe snot use python except the Skeinforge slicer. All it uses is .NET 4.0 so that must be up to date.

I never had problems switching back and forth between function. Do you have the same problems also when you are not connected?

What surely is a problem is jumping ports while connected. It might even be the main source of your problem. Windows does not change port numbers while connected. Never happened to me except when some DFU loader come in action which use different vendor string causing a different port. What might be happening is a connection lost and reconnect while old connection was in use. So because the target port is in use while coming up anew it got a new port number.

If you are running repetier-firmware try using fake communication.
    M111 S24
    will make the printer ignore all commands but still use serial communication. That way your printer runs without all those electronic noises that may influence connection, electrical problems etc.

Also check Printer->Printer Informations to see if you communication errors, which would indicate also some problems.
  • I am seeing the same problem on two machines.  Both are running windows XP.  Both have a poor excuse for a graphics card, and both crash as soon as you flip tabs after you have sliced/printed, and want to go back and make changes.  I have a total of six PCs running Repetier. One Windows 8.1, two Windows 7 64-Bit, three Windows XP, and one Vista. All the others have decent 3D rendering, and do not crash.
  • edited July 2015
    theyre baaaaack!

ha ha, it was brief. wasnt it? sorry. i ramble... over elaborate... sometimes under elaborate...

thanks for the reply :)

ok, the python stuff was because of a wiki goosechase... thats gone now. as is pronterface i think.

still on repetier. still using cura separately and following a strict routine that still occasionally glitches...

the com port would change if i DIDNT follow this routine. (or simply not register?) 

connect repetier...start bed heating...open cura. if SD is still in printer, "unmount" in repetier, and remove. failure to unmount SD causes disconnection that then requires complete powerdown for repetier to reconnect...? anyway. SD into reader, load file as sliced in cura.

now, i HAVE to disconnect repetier to insert the SD (now with file) back into the printer or once again, it disconnects and i have to powerdown/unplug to restart...

(shouldnt the SD card appear as just another drive on my pc while in the printer? or is that wishful thinking? seems silly, having to remove it every few minutes...when things go wrong :))

done. mount SD, open file and print. 

rather tedious... but it "usually" works...only exceptions are uber long prints and repetier(not the printer!) just freezes at say, "33% sd printing complete" and once again...unplug everything to restart... but it prints, and i can unplug the usb etc, its all good on sd printing... once i even had a half second blackout that killed the pc but there was enough capacity in the power supply to keep the printer running through it... BIG output caps :)

i tried this slic3r and stuff from within repetier again a night or two ago.

it worked fine.

rescaled object, resliced....CRASH.

upon restart, i go to reslice the exact same file, only to have it hang up when it goes to "export gcode"...

left it overnight just to see...

yep. its hanging up on the file export.

what WAS interesting...  after i restarted... all the object files appeared in the reverse order in the little prompt window thingy... i did not change anything! but yep, the display order is now reversed!

cura engine works from within still. slic3r no longer will. of course, i cant use it because when i try to reslice with a different setting because its not creating infill...CRASH!

something very fishy going on with the command lines and where things are being saved methinks...

and a usb thing...it disconnects my usb modem when i unplug/replug the printer cable.

and could be a graphics issue underlying the whole thing... im finding this pc is anything but fast... cant really test that one until i get a card...

stupid new puter with all these gremlins!

*pouts and makes something with alloy on the mill instead*
  • update...i think its fine now.

just updated to the new version...154? 

installed skeinforge with it, cus it appears theres a glitch there...select it to install slicer but i cant unselect that skeinforge and the 139mb download that comes with it... its either do it or just download repetier by itself. weird.

uninstalled everything first...drivers, random files, everything.

had to reinstall hanbot sprinter driver as what MS found wouldnt seem to connect. the usb/serial converter? iunno.

but...just tried slicing, repositioning...still running!

now to try adding a different object...and priniting. have to print too...

• muchness prinitings :)

still havent crashed despite flicking around with tabs and new files, slices etc...

even tried loading up some gcode from the sd card via g-code editor and some cutnpaste.

and viola, it previewed AND its printing right now! :)

• I am seeing the same problem on two machines.  Both are running windows XP.  Both have a poor excuse for a graphics card, and both crash as soon as you flip tabs after you have sliced/printed, and want to go back and make changes.  I have a total of six PCs running Repetier. One Windows 8.1, two Windows 7 64-Bit, three Windows XP, and one Vista. All the others have decent 3D rendering, and do not crash.

I am having this exact same problem.   I set up a laptop with Windows XP just for use with my printer.    It crashes right after slicing and changing tabs.    Does not matter which slicer I use (I tried the suggestion that Cura might not crash).  I uninstalled and re-installed, same thing.

• Please check if log on startup says OpenGL render: generic GDI or something like that. It seems that as soon as this appears it is not using the graphic cards OpenGL driver and will crash easily.
  • edited September 2015
    I also had the crashing issue. And my log file showed the line OpenGL render: generic GDI.  

After updating the driver for my video card it works great.  Now it is using my NVidia card for OpenGL . 

Repetier 1.5.6, Windows 10
  • I have the Intel HD3000 display adaptor in my Lenovo T520 laptop. It is definitely capable of OpenGL 3.* and it does work with Repetier Host 1.0.6. Unfortunately with Repetier Host 1.5.6 only the generic OpenGL 1.* (Generic GDI) is used.

It would seem that is is a bug in Repetier Host or in OpenTK that is used by Repetier Host.
  • Any update on getting Repetier Host (OpenTK) to correctly detect the version of OpenGL that is available on the computer. I have confirmed that on my lenovo T520 laptop that OpenGL 3.1 is available and it does work correctly with Repetier Host 1.0.6. but with version 1.5.6 uses the generic 1.0 version of OpenGL.
  • I haven't changed the code so I have no idea why and I can not reproduce the error.

You could try one thing in case I did something wrong. Install 1.0.6 and save all OpenGL... files in installation directory. Then install 1.5.6 and overwrite all OpenGL files with the one from the working 1.0.6 version. These should be the same used by 1.0.6 if you selected legacy drivers during install, but you never know. Changing the dll files was all I did.
  • There are 3 OpenTK files in the installation folder. Version 1.0.6 and 1.5.6 appear to have the same versions of the files (based on the date of the .dlls).
    To be safe I copied all of the dlls from version 1.0.6 to 1.5.6. The behavior did not change. OpenGl is detected as version 1.* when the computer is capable of OpenGL3.1*.
    If I copy the version 1.0.0 version of Repetier exe and Repetier Extensions dll to the Repetier Host folder, then OpenGL 3.1 is correctly detected.

This would seem to point to a problem in the RepetierHost exe or the RepetierHostExtensions dll.

I have been where you are on other projects. There has to have been a code change that nolonger correctly detects the version of OpenGL.

I would be glad to try anything else to help out.

• Hi, maybe interesting to know; I have the same issue. I am running a laptop with Windows 10 Pro x64 and Repetier 1.6.2 (which is latest at this point) and started to have crashes after a couple of successful prints up to the point that the software crashes right after slicing (with Slic3r). Windows Event log shows a crash error ID 1000 with faulting module OpenGL32.dll.
    Repetier Startup log shows the Generic GDI. Same thing happens when I install Repetier 1.5.6 alongside.
    Changing to the 1.0.6 software (also installed side-by-side) shows my graphics card correctly as being Intel HD Graphics, Capable of VBO's.
    Copying the Repetier.exe and RepetierHostExtender.dll to the 1.6.2 install directory also makes that installation show the graphics card correctly however it now registers as being Repetier 1.0.6.

I believe this is caused by Microsoft and Intel forcing the Microsoft Recommended driver, however since the older version of the software detects the card correctly I firmly believe this issue can (and should) be resolved by Repetier - this is a big disappointment for me over an otherwise brilliant piece of software.
  • It's the graphic library OpenTK selecting the best mode and it's not really clear why it sometimes selects the faulty Generic GDI (which has wrong OpenGL level cvausing the crash). 2 things that might help. 
    1. Install host with legacy 3d driver. That would be the version used in 1.0.6
    2. In graphic configuration in windows set it to full power - best performance. This seems to have an influence on the selection. My Intel graphic laptop is always selecting the right mode the way I got it. Seems that the problem is mor eon older intel graphic cards or cards with dual graphics intel/nvidea.

Hope one of them helps to select right video mode.

• Hi Repetier,

I'll try some more soon, but for now I am printing with 1.0.6 which seems to work fine.
    Funny thing though is that the 1.0.6 Repetier.exe and RepetierHostExtender.dll in an otherwise 1.6.2 environment do pick the correct graphics mode...
  • As I said it is OpenTK library that selects the mode not repetier. But that also means with legacy 3d library it should work for you in 1.6.2.
  • Hi Repetier,

I just tried reinstalling with the Legacy 3D mode but now it greets me with a black object window and errors in the log:

12:54:38.203 : OpenGL version:1.1.0
    12:54:38.205 : OpenGL extensions:GL_WIN_swap_hint GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_paletted_texture
    12:54:38.205 : OpenGL renderer:GDI Generic
    12:54:38.205 : Fast VBOs for rendering not supported. Using slower default method.
    12:54:38.529 : Error drawing 3d view:Unable to find an entry point named 'glGenBuffers' in DLL 'opengl32.dll'. /    at OpenTK.Graphics.OpenGL.GL.Core.GenBuffers(Int32 n, UInt32* buffers)
       at OpenTK.Graphics.OpenGL.GL.GenBuffers(Int32 n, Int32[] buffers)
       at RepetierHostExtender.geom.Submesh.Draw(Int32 method, Vector3 edgetrans, Boolean forceFaces, Boolean forceOutside)
       at RepetierHost.model.Coordinate.DrawArrow()
       at RepetierHost.model.Coordinate.Draw(Int32 viewport_x, Int32 viewport_y, Double rotX, Double rotZ, Int32 offset)
       at RepetierHost.view.ThreeDControl.DrawCoordinate()
       at RepetierHost.view.ThreeDControl.gl_Paint(Object sender, PaintEventArgs e)
    12:54:38.598 : Error drawing 3d view:Unable to find an entry point named 'glBindBuffer' in DLL 'opengl32.dll'. /    at OpenTK.Graphics.OpenGL.GL.Core.BindBuffer(BufferTarget target, UInt32 buffer)
       at RepetierHostExtender.geom.Submesh.Draw(Int32 method, Vector3 edgetrans, Boolean forceFaces, Boolean forceOutside)
       at RepetierHost.model.Coordinate.Draw(Int32 viewport_x, Int32 viewport_y, Double rotX, Double rotZ, Int32 offset)
    12:55:02.977 : Error drawing 3d view:Unable to find an entry point named 'glBindBuffer' in DLL 'opengl32.dll'. /    at OpenTK.Graphics.OpenGL.GL.Core.BindBuffer(BufferTarget target, UInt32 buffer)

Repetier 1.0.6 still works fine and opens with the OpenGL 2.1.0 version, build 8.15.10.2900:

13:04:39.225 : OpenGL version:2.1.0 - Build 8.15.10.2900
    13:04:39.227 : OpenGL extensions:GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_texture3D GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap GL_EXT_draw_range_elements GL_SGIS_texture_lod GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_packed_pixels GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp GL_EXT_separate_specular_color GL_ARB_multitexture GL_EXT_texture_env_combine GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_blend_func_separate GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_cube_map GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_NV_blend_square GL_ARB_texture_compression GL_3DFX_texture_compression_FXT1 GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp GL_ARB_point_parameters GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc GL_ARB_shadow GL_ARB_window_pos GL_EXT_shadow_funcs GL_EXT_stencil_wrap GL_ARB_vertex_program GL_EXT_texture_rectangle GL_ARB_fragment_program GL_EXT_stencil_two_side GL_ATI_separate_stencil GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias GL_ARB_occlusion_query GL_ARB_fragment_shader GL_ARB_shader_objects GL_ARB_shading_language_100 GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two GL_ARB_vertex_shader GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_ARB_point_sprite GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate GL_ARB_depth_texture GL_ARB_texture_rectangle GL_ARB_draw_buffers GL_ARB_color_buffer_float GL_ARB_half_float_pixel GL_ARB_texture_float GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object GL_EXT_framebuffer_object GL_ARB_draw_instanced GL_ARB_half_float_vertex GL_EXT_draw_buffers2 GL_WIN_swap_hint GL_EXT_texture_sRGB GL_EXT_packed_float GL_EXT_texture_shared_exponent GL_ARB_texture_rg GL_ARB_texture_compression_rgtc GL_NV_conditional_render GL_EXT_texture_swizzle GL_ARB_sync GL_ARB_framebuffer_sRGB GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil GL_ARB_depth_buffer_float GL_EXT_transform_feedback GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit GL_ARB_framebuffer_object GL_EXT_texture_array GL_ARB_map_buffer_range GL_EXT_texture_snorm GL_INTEL_performance_queries GL_ARB_copy_buffer GL_ARB_sampler_objects GL_NV_primitive_restart GL_ARB_seamless_cube_map GL_ARB_uniform_buffer_object GL_ARB_depth_clamp GL_ARB_vertex_array_bgra GL_ARB_draw_elements_base_vertex GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters GL_ARB_compatibility GL_ARB_vertex_array_object
    13:04:39.227 : OpenGL renderer:Intel(R) HD Graphics
    13:04:39.227 : Using fast VBOs for rendering is possible
  • The problem is here
    12:54:38.203 : OpenGL version:1.1.0
    12:54:38.205 : OpenGL extensions:GL_WIN_swap_hint GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_paletted_texture
    12:54:38.205 : OpenGL renderer:GDI Generic
    We need version 1.5 or higher to work stable. The problem is library selected GDI Generic.

Why 1.0.6 selects the right driver with same legace driver is a miracle. Will check my git repository if there was changed something else as well.
  • Adding this comment to the thread since it is Google's #1 link for the search terms "Repetier Host keeps crashing".

I had the same problem for weeks. Very frustrating.
    If you want to keep it from crashing, install a good/decent video card with at least 1GB of memory.
    Your slicing will process faster and it will keep Repetier from crashing after it slices.

• Na you know what it is OP, to much bs. We shouldnt have these problems. Some one needs to just fix them and charge the companies for using the software. Give it foll like us for free but catch them and sue them.

Cant be selling machines at this cost like this its crazy and dangerous.

All this to get 3 axis of movement wtttt moght try use a quadcopter programme for motors as can see were all this is leading to "payed subscriptions."

I think this problems what I have. As cant get anything to move or 1 will move and it will stop and no longer move.

I have a zillion bs arduino ide , marlin and all this but just want 4 motors to turn? is it really that much to ask for?

Even the drivers and slicer you goto dig out. Only found slicer files yesterday and im on week 7 of trying woth this and all I get is bs on google or dumb asz replies like im a ideot.

I cant get the lcd to control it or nothing.
    Think im admit fail on this and move on. i put about £800 in to 4 printers and its all the same shyt.

Take care remember "itl be subscriptions next."