Common PLUS or Common Minus for external stepper driver ramps/radds board ?

Hi,

How to connect an external stepper driver like TB6600 to radds/ramps board? Common negative or common positive?
Picture shows common positive: http://i.imgur.com/59Ot1iB.png

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Jerome said:
    Hi,

How to connect an external stepper driver like TB6600 to radds/ramps board? Common negative or common positive?
    Picture shows common positive: http://i.imgur.com/59Ot1iB.png

Thanks for your help
    So in other words are the control pulses from the arduino/radds  for the stepper driver positive or negative?

• We set them to high to pulse and low afterwards. For enable/direction you can define it since different drivers expect different values. Not really sure what that +/- is meant for on the driver. On the boards potential is gnd and we set 5v/3.3v for high.
  • edited November 2019
    Just wire them as written in your Picture. For you the confusing thing is the common positive , whats absolute correct for the tb6600 and similar.
    The reason is the integrated optocouplers and they work with the common anode as follows:

low on input means led is lit so the phototransistor gets switched what means low signal on phototransistors output.

if you change that for common gnd you have to invert signals.

BTW FOR RADDS : some of the tb6600 drivers don´t work on 3.3V they need TTL shifters to get 5V input
  • For the 3.3 -> 5 Volt I already designed the electronics using ULN2003 and a few transistors. ULN2003 because I need a current booster to connect 4 stepper drivers (Z-axis) to one output of the arduino.  I tested with a stepper drive similar to the TB6000 and it was working on 3.3 volt. Wait until the TB6600 arrives and will test again.

Thanks for the info

• edited November 2019
    simple way to drive the 3.3-> 5V stuff is using 74HCT541, it can handle up to 35mA per Output , no further parts except a decoupling capacitor for powersupply necessary.Thats what i use for my tb6600 drivers

• For the 3.3 -> 5 Volt I already designed the electronics using ULN2003 and a few transistors. ULN2003 because I need a current booster to connect 4 stepper drivers (Z-axis) to one output of the arduino. ASfter I tested with a stepper drive simular to the TB6000 and it was working on 3.3 volt. 

• That might be an option too.  Do you know what the input signal current for the TB6600 is?
  • The ones i have are around 20mA@5V
  • ok, I was afraid of that. That's why I used the ULN2003 which has a output current of 500mA so I can connect 4 TB6600 on one output for my 4 stepper motors on Z-Axis. Thanks for the info