Repetier won't start beyond the splash screen...nothing happens

Hi, I can't start repetier since this morning. When I click the icon, the splash screen appears and then disappears and nothing else happens. 

Things I have tried:
1. Restart - (no fix)
2. Update drivers (already updated - no fix)
3. Installed clean repetier download (no fix)

I am on windows 10. Please help. 

Comments

• Did you change anything last time it worked. Adding a slicer or so?

That might be caused by a bad entry in registry - bad meaning leading to the problem. Seems possible also no one could so far tell me what exactly caused it.

So you need to open regedit and in HKEY_CURREENT_USER/Software/repetier you need to remove the part causing the problem. Or just delete the repetier key with all configs. But I'd first try deleting "slicers" subkey or what you changed last time it worked.
  • Last time I had it open, the computer showed the "blue screen of death" and then restarted. That was the last time i saw Repetier work. After that I get only the nice blue splash screen and then nothing. 

I must have Repetier! I will reformat my computer if I have to but was hoping for a cleaner solution. 
  • I deleted the entire folder  called "Repetier" in regedit and re-installed everything, but still does not go beyond splash screen. 
  • Unexpected. Deleting registry part makes it like a new installation.

What happens then? Error message or hang or crash? Messages? Do you see part of the main windows?
    Do you have OpenGL driver? One of the requirements to get it working.
  • No error messages, or hang, or crash. Just the flash screen appearing for 3 seconds and then disappearing, nothing beyond that. The computer is a new 2019 Asus Q546 Laptop. I have the OpenGL driver.
  • So icon disappears? Means it crashed or shut down. Can you look at the windows events if there is some information about it. 

Any updates since it worked? Windows update, protection software, ...

• To be honest the laptop is constantly updating in the background. I have not updated or installed anything manually.

I have OpenGL 4.5.

I don't know how to check the windows logs. Should I just reformat my computer?  
  • Reformatting is hard and only makes sense if windows is broken. Updating host replaced all host files and deleting the registry entry made it like new installation already. 

Try first scanning windows for defects and repair them:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system

Regarding the events it is not hard but my windows is german so can not say how the names are. But here is a article about what I mean with it:
    https://www.howtogeek.com/123646/htg-explains-what-the-windows-event-viewer-is-and-how-you-can-use-it/

• Here is what the error said in the event viewer:

Faulting application name: RepetierHost.exe, version: 2.1.3.0, time stamp: 0x5cf91067
    Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.18362.418, time stamp: 0xfba22159
    Exception code: 0xe0434352
    Fault offset: 0x000000000003a839
    Faulting process id: 0x1e8c
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d582caed0022a8
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Repetier-Host\RepetierHost.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
    Report Id: e7d22bb3-b221-4db8-b405-212aaf05b459
    Faulting package full name: 
    Faulting package-relative application ID: 
  • Here the the 2nd error: 

Application: RepetierHost.exe
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Exception Info: System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException
       at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.set_SelectedIndex(Int32)
       at CuraEngine.CuraEnginePanel.UpdateButtons()
       at CuraEngine.CuraEnginePanel.UpdateSelection()
       at CuraEngine.CuraEnginePanel.Connect(CuraEngine.CuraEngineInstance)
       at CuraEngine.CuraEngineInstance.get_Panel()
       at RepetierHost.view.SlicerPanel.comboSlicerSelection_SelectedIndexChanged(System.Object, System.EventArgs)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.OnSelectedIndexChanged(System.EventArgs)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.set_SelectedIndex(Int32)
       at RepetierHost.view.SlicerPanel.SelectByName(System.String)
       at RepetierHost.view.SlicerPanel.UpdateInstances()
       at RepetierHost.Main..ctor()
       at RepetierHost.Program.Main(System.String[])

• Ok, I got it to work. I went to (AppData/local/RepetierHost) and renamed the "CuraEngine" folder to "CuraEnginemmm" and BOOM Repetier started! I went back to the AppData/local/RepetierHost...and there was a new folder named CuraEngine that was created automatically.  I then deleted the old faulty folder "CuraEnginemmm" and now everything seems fine. I will have to set the preferences up again, but I am happy I am back with Repetier.

This is great lesson for Repetier once you get a customer with your product and you will always have them. I grew up with repetier and it's really not easy to switch to another program. The hook was that it was free, which is a very good hook indeed. Now I basically work want to see Reptier become really good. So you basically gave the program free but now I work for you for free...how does that work?  I just have 1 suggestion to you Repetier, any way to print "1 item at a time" like in Cura 4.2. If you can program that feature in, people would go crazy. Also while I am riding this high energy. Can you program the new 3d printing style called non planar slicing. This was just discovered in 2019 and if Repetier get this then your deserve the millions. - Vernes
  • Good it works. Forgot about slicer data being read as well on start up.

Cura currently is a bit complicated to integrate but it is on the todo. Nonplanar slicing is a complete different technique I think and is quite complicated, so do not expect it in regular product soon.
  • I thank you very very very much.
    The same problem the same solution.
    I have used an Ubuntu live CD to list and rename the file, since I did not know to do that in WIN 10.
  • Hi I know this is an old thread but the same thing just started happening to me and I tried everything Including what he did

• Hi there, this was an extremely nice post. Spending some time and actual effort to create a very good article. After reading this remarkable piece of writing I am too delighted to share my experience here with mates. I will be happy if you will visit my site.