IS IT POSSIBLE TO USE ONLY REPETIER HOST TO CONNECT A PRINTER VIA RASPBERRY ?

hello everybody
i own only one 3dprinter(home & self made) which currently works very fine with repetier host. i am going to re-organize my workshop, so the 3dprinter's new place will be far from my work place.(no usb câble possible)
what i would find is a simple wifi link between my pc and printer without using repetier server because too much complex for only one printer (and i love repetier host which fit perfectly to my needs). I think to a raspberry pi 3b+ used just as a wifi translater to usb and vice versa ,nothing more.
before to write a specific program , maybe some body as already made this or maybe find this impossible because a reason i ignore ?
thanks in advance for your help and ideas
jyb

Comments

• But that translater is exactly what repetier-server does. You install server on pi and in host select repetier-server connector. Then you can use host more or less as before just that printing is done by pi server. So except for printer installation you do not need to use the server web gui if you do not want to.

• hello i have 2 questions from a newbee

i applied yours explanations 
    i loaded the raspberry with server and succeed to connect  to printer from repetier server , it works fine, actually i try to connect to the printer from repetier host and in connection's parameters ,it is required an api key <span>:smile:</span> where i can find it ?

screen svga with hdmi adapter .i need to adapt pictures to 16/9 format(pictures longer than screen)
    it seems that config.txt is not active : my display parameters are not active but repetier image set up seems active 
    please could you help me ?
    jyb
  • 1) API key is in Main menu -> Global Settings -> Connectivity. See also help page in host if you click there on help icon.
    2) Not sure as this is more raspberry related.

# uncomment to force a specific HDMI mode (this will force VGA)

#hdmi_group=1

#hdmi_mode=1

is what might change mode from autodetect if it is wrong. Think google might help finding the right mode for the connected display.

lcd_rotate=0

means do not rotate screen which is normally portrait mode.
  • hello its me again , i whish for the last time i seeks you
    i reached to get connection with raspberry via ethernet and it works fine. Now i am trying to connect via wifi but cant get success because raspi's wifi parameters seems need more parameters than i can find on my ethernet box (freebox french brand)
    please, is there a manual for the raspi's / repetier's side wifi parameters  giving explanation in detail ?
    thanks a lot in advance
    jyb

• in 99% it is WPA2 as password method and then then you select the SSID and enter your wifi password - same as for your mobile.

If you used latest image (V15 or V16) there seems to be a problem. Try
    sudo rfkill unblock wifi
    and it might start working.

• fisrt i must thank you for your help..
    yes my image is v16  ,so i tryed to apply "sudo rfkill unblock wifi " with putty unsuccessfuly , i dont find how enter on raspberry server 
    raspberry server side works fine and i get entire access to the menu server and i can drive the printer but nowhere how to stop server and accessing to the console...
  • Enter ip in putty and use as login "pi" and password is "raspberry". Then just type the command. With ethernet connection it should be no problem.

Alternatively use windows remote desk to connect and open a console with right click after login.
  • hi
    sorry, but impossible to start wifi.
    i can connect via putty to the server,i entered "sudo rfkill unblock wifi " and no success, also tryed after a restart !
    is it possible for example ,to install NOOBS , start wifi,then  install repetier server via NOOBS ? this maybe a manner to jump over the wifi problem ?
  • Current image does in deed have a problem with wifi. I'm currently testing the problem. Main problem is that linux reports with
    nmcli dev
    that wlan0 is unavailable which makes it impossible to connect and use wifi. Once I have solved it you can download the new image. On https://www.repetier-server.com/download-images/ I have now put the old working image. So use that and just upgrade server to 0.92.0.
  • thanks a lot
     ok i am going to do that
  • hello
    i installed old version as you said. i  progressed, now wifi runs between raspberry and computer. i see on raspberry the printer alternatively unoccupied / off line
    on other end, i started repetier host , entered the "api key" and get connected. for example , i try to pass under manual control, and there, printer alternatively say idle / off line
    i am near from nervous breakdown argggg

have a nice
    jyb
  • oups i forgot to say that using manual control can't get printer on line nor move any axes
    jyb
    thanks a lot
  • To make things easier please test first if everything works in the server web gui. Only if that works host can work at all. Also even if host connects to server the server must have the printer online and commands must work. Use console to test if communication works, e.g. sending M119 should show end stop status in log. If not the connection settings are not good in server.

Once you know server works host should also work if you connect to server.
  • hi 
    i had stopped my test several days ,waiting for new repetier raspberry version .i just downloaded this new raspi version but i received a end of test period message. 
    what i need is to verify if that my LERDGE K motherboard is compatible with repetier server(movements control, fan head and so on) how can i do ?
    i cant find the api key
    thanks on advance
  • oups..i found again server name and uuid code and API key  .
    API key i know where put it (printer parameters on repetier host)
    but server name and uuid code i wonder  where enter them
  • uuid is used internally e.g. by the upcoming Repetier-Server Monitor to distinguish servers even if they have same name. Server name is used to show names and nothing you need to enter anywhere. Software connecting to it uses it to show you so you know which server is connected in case you have multiple instances.
  • bonjour
    je suis perdu. j'ai téléchargé la nouvelle version v17 pour framboise. Je peux connecter et conduire mon imprimante avec un câble Ethernet mais je ne peux pas me connecter via wifi. peut-être parce que la période de test gratuite est terminée?
    Parce que la carte mère LERDGE K ne figure pas sur la marque d'imprimantes repetier connue,
    je voudrais juste voir et m'assurer que mon imprimante fonctionne par-dessus le wifi repetier avant d'acheter une licence.
  • WLAN should also work on free version as well as connecting to printer. Make sure to select the correct region first in access point tab. Especially in europe you might have the case that you use a frequency that is not activated in default region. Then simply select your router and set password and wait at least a minute for connection.
  • HI
     i have installed v17 , now i reach to get connected via wifi from repetier host to the printer all seems ok but commands toward printer do not acts
    same test from repetier server to printer same results seem connected but no movments possible
    more, once connected, if i let connection and no action i get  alternatively disconnected , reconnected endless
    i eat my hat !!
  • i controlled main power voltage stable at 5v with original raspberry main power,
    i am waiting  a new supply power 5v 5 amps! i ordered yesterday.
  • ONE MORE QUESTION
    my box (french freebox brand) offer these security codes encription:

1° wpa2-psk/aes         (valid up to date) 
    2° wpa2-psk/tkip         (given as obsolete)
    3° wpa2-psk               (given as obsolete)
    4° wpa-psk/ccmp        (given as obsolete)
    5° wpa-psk/tkip          (given as obsolete)
    6° wpa-psk                (given as obsolete) 
    7° wep                      (given as obsolete)

please which one i must choose ?

thanks on advance
  • wpa2 is the most secure at the moment. tkip means enter a long hex key so not what you want. I think I'd try 3.

Regarding connection if it loops it normally means baud rate or firmware is wrong. If we get no usable answer within some time we stop connection and try again. With wrong settings this always happens und must not depend on power problems the pi is known for.
  • hello.
    i apply n°3 and i get connected from repetier host to the printer via raspberry. and every minute i get disconnected ,reconnected and so on.command act with a delay .if i ask for homming , it start after a lot of seconds. (or not)
    I think there is a lot of parameters i must enter whose i dont understand utility and this gives many combinations possible ,so,please, is there a document , a schema who gives precisely which one parameter from "x"correspond to other one from"y" and what kind in order to help to definitevely solve this "mystery",
     a lexical which describe each parameter, information type ,use, to help to the understanding of the systeme
    I feel that repetier is great and is exactly what i need but it is so hard to reach to paradise!!
    thanks on advance
    jyb
  • The parameter for the printer all have a Tooltip giving extra informations. But it looks like some thing i snot stable in your case delaying everything. So what is it that always reconnects? Is it gui showing "Oops connection lost" or is it the printer loosing connection to server? If you see the "Oops .." message in gui trying to reconnect that means the connection browser->server is broken. In that case test if use ethernet connection and of course the ethernet ip. That way it is not wifi dropping connection for sure to rule out that problem. On ssh
    ip addr
    shows ip. You want one from eth0 section.

If it still happens open a ssh connection using putty or if you have a new image remote desktop and open a console. What we need to find out is if serve is restarting over and over. 
    ps aux | grep tier
    returns something like

pi@Repetier-Server:~ $ ps aux | grep tier

avahi      368  0.3  0.3   6808  3568 ?        Ss   Aug28  15:45 avahi-daemon: running [Repetier-Server-2.local]

pi         747  0.0  0.0   7348   580 pts/0    R+   09:25   0:00 grep --color=auto tier

repetie+   993  2.0  2.2 224688 21388 ?        S<sl Aug28  88:40 /usr/local/Repetier-Server/bin/RepetierServer -c /usr/local/Repetier-Server/etc/RepetierServer.xml --daemon

First number is pid of the software. Here repetie+   993 is what we search and 993 is the pid. After some reconnects run again and see if it still has same pid.

Last thing could be firewall/antivirus solution closing the connection also I would expect it to block directly rather then stop in progress. But who understands what they do.
  • hi
    i got ooops messages and also got the broken chain. i had programmed my box router for a static adress which is 192.168.1.48 and starting raspberry it is displayed "10.10.10.1 " or localhost, sometimes i get 192.168.1.48 but i cant deduct a 'rule' why this is.
    on other end i see on the pc side wifi monitoring , the raspberrry acces point appearing in the field but cant connect to ,using 12345678 nor creating a new password, nor using my wifi box password
    i dont understand the utility of this acces point from raspi
    p.s.
    loading raspberry with raspbian(noobs) wifi run fine without any problem...
  • i am going to analyze the pid and putty side.
     on security/protection side ,all i use is only win10 protections , not anything else 
    and i never get warning messages during repetier tests
    a schema showing connections beetwen each entity with detailled adresses etc, i think could be for me very useful
    have a nice day
  • You have configured pi to enable access point when connection is lost. Sound like you are switching between access point and normal connection. Especially if you have a display you could try setting to never enable access point. That way linux will only try to hold connection without server switching to ap when connection is down.
  • wow that's works fine ,i just turn off access point.
    work fine from host
    work fine from front end server
    but one more and maybe last question:
    on the old version 16 i had on raspi'screen some icons for driving the printer. they do not appear on V17 is it normal or did i missed some thing ?
  • Many icons only appear if a printer is connected and selected. Touch front end will automatically select first printer being online.
  • good morning
    i was speaking about raspberry s'screen where much more icons did appear and not today

So ,now i am going to buy a licence and i have some question about it.
    is licence just only to enter on raspberry side, not computers ?
    in case of raspberry  replacement (broken)  ,same licence used or new licence needed ?
    Future Update free ?
    have a nice day