Time-Laps with fixed extruder position Issues

Hi,

the time-laps with fixed extruder position works well so far - I love it. Only two things I found:

1. Could you do a z-hop wen traveling to the fixed position. If there are big models (or many small parts) it could be happen, that the nozzle scratch the parts.

2. If I use support structures my slicer generates layers in between the main layers (half layer height). This forces the system always make a second move per layer to take a picture. It's not a big deal but it produces a lot of unnecessary moves. A good solution could be a new command like ";@layer_change" or ";@take_picture" to force the server taking a picture. This allows to add the code to the g-code file. I know that this makes the things not easier to setup anymore but it could help. There might be a checkbox the gives the possibility for "Autodetect" or "Use ;@layer_change"...

Finally thank you again for the new great features. I love my Repetier-Server and I never regretted the purchase :-).

(Danke. Macht weiter so!)

Regards

Alex

Comments

• 1. There is already z-hop. See printer configuration->extruder. It uses the retraction and z hop settings stored there.
    2. That is difficult since server has an own definition of layer. A layer starts when you extruder at a different z height. That is the only solution working across all slicers regardless of comments that may change over time.

There are 2 possible solutions. You can say to make a snapshot at x mm height change. At least if you have constant layer height.

Second is write an own snapshot code in the layer switch script of your slicer.
    ;@snapshot ;0
    will make a snapshot at that point in time. It does NOT add the fixed position code! So if you want it at fixed position you need to add this as well

G1 park position, z hop
    26 times M400 to ensure position is reached
    ;@snapshot ;0
    G4 P700 ; wait for snapshot to be finished
    G1 go back - hope slicer has a variable to know position. Or use memory position, go back to memory position in firmware.

• Thank you. I will try...

But again to point 2. Every actual slicer (Slic3r, Cura, Simplify3D, ...) has the possibility to enter G-Code "Before Layer Change" and "After Layer Change". Why not give the user the possibility to control the point in time the snapshot is taken? This means an additional option in the configuration. In addition to "Layer Change", "Seconds" and "Every n mm" the option "If ;@snapshot in G-Code is found" should be added. This will give all freedom to do anything - even took the first picture also in a defined position and not where the Extruder is located at the beginning...

But you helped me a lot and this is "Complaining at a high level" (Meckern auf hohem Niveau...) as we in Germany say :-)

Best Regards and I'm looking forward to the next releases....

Alex
  • That was my solution to 2. Only
    ;@snapshot ;0
    should be
    ;@snapshot 0

The snapshot makes the snapshot where it is entered for the webcam selected (in case you have more then one). It just does not add the fixed position code. In fact it is used inside the same position code.

Maybe I could also add a ;@fiixed_snapshot 0 to make a fixed snapshot at the position.

For manual solution say every 500mm to get no extra snapshots. Separate option is better I see so will add that as well.
  • This sounds good. If this is possible the fixed position can also be entered in the G-Code before the ";@snapshot" command... But the ";@fixed_snapshot" sounds perfect. But in this case it should be possible to block the Repetier Server from doing the snapshots. Otherwise they are double. So an option "G-Code Control" instead of "Every n Layer" etc. should be added. In this case the user has full control over the snapshots...
  • Have written it now. You can add
    ;@make_snapshot camid
    where you like. It adds to snapshots made anyway, but I also added a 4th type to only make snapshots where the command is to solve the double snapshot problem.
  • Thank you <span>:smile:</span>

So I'm looking forward for the next update...