Installation of Waveshare 3.5" (non-HDMI) LCD display / touchscreen on Raspberry Pi

Hereby i want to share how to setup 3.5" LCD display (non-HDMI) based on latest Repetier Server Image (v8) for the Raspberry Pi.
It took me several hours to get it working and hopefully it's also useful for others because this kind of LCD screen are very cheap and widely used.

LCD display (320x480) i am using:

Steps:
1. Copy Repetier Server Image to SD card (e.g. Win32DiskImager Tool)

2. After booting up the installed Repetier Server on RPI you need to expand the filesystem in order to use the full capactiy from SD card:

CODE:
sudo raspi-config

Select: 7 Advanced Options => A1 Expand Filesystem

3. Install Waveshare 3.5" driver display (you need to find and select the correct one for your LCD screen !!!).

CODE:
cd LCD-show/
chmod +x LCD35B-show
./LCD35B-show
sudo shutdown now

4. Modify screen configuration file (Before modification it's good to make backup from the file!)

CODE:

sudo vi /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-fbturbo.conf

or

sudo nano /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-fbturbo.conf

File content (99-fbturbo.conf) should look like this:

Section "Device"

Identifier "touchscreen"

Driver     "fbdev"

Option     "fbdev" "/dev/fb1"

EndSection

Afterwards you get rewarded with pretty nice touchscreen control.
The touchscreen control from Repetier Server is really fabulous also on small screens.
This is so much betten than TouchUI on the Octoprint.
;-)

Comments

• hi to you i am making like you but the second file tar xvf /LCD-show-170309.tar.gz its not working?

• There seems to be typo.
    You need to type without "/" of course.

tar xvf LCD-show-170309.tar.gz

• I'm pretty new to Linux so I have no idea how to exit once you edit the config file any guidance?
  • Depends on the editor. If you use nano whcih is best for novice, you see the important shortcuts at the bottom: ctrl+X for save and exit. If you do not own a file or just to be sure start editor with
    sudo nano filename

otherwise you have no write permissions and saving fails.
  • hi.. how do I get into the commandline? After boot I only have a server touch interface over hdmi available on a normal screen and my PI clone touch display is white. When installed rasphian I can use the touch screen but do nt get the touch interface :S.
  • Worked! Thanks..
  • edited January 2019
    Edit: Wrong forum
  • mr_cg said:
    There seems to be typo.
    You need to type without "/" of course.

tar xvf LCD-show-170309.tar.gz

When I correct and run the code during installation
    After I type "LCD configure 0", I get Putty Fatal Error screen and I get "Server unexpectedly closed network connection" error. 
  • Hi Everyone, has anybody tried this recently? As soon as i process:

./LCD35B-show

It crashes my network connection :( and i have to reboot.