X and Y Hit end Stop Normally But....

Hey again, still calibrating my machine. Each axis when homing, hits the end stop correctly, but then retracts about 10 percent of my printable area, then goes back to the end stop. A back and forth motion each time I home. I cannot find a solution to turn this off or change a value in the EEPROM or in Host. How may i go about fixing this? Thank you in advance.

~Drew

Comments

• That is planned behaviour. You home fast and retest slower for better precision. You can set the distances and rehome reduction in homing configuration in configuration.h file of firmware. It is not changeable after burning the firmware.
  • Thank you very much I appreciate the help. Must I go through the config. h file or can I use the Repetier config tool?

~Drew
  • I have resolved the issue. However, now that I have reset, after homing to start the print, when the print starts it will continue towards the structure but doesn't stop in the middle to start printing like it should. It just keeps going diagonally endlessly. Why may this be?

~Drew
  • Check your X Y max settings in eeprom

• Hey Martin, I have checked the x and y max length settings. They are both correct. 1,965 mm by 2,250 mm.

Any other ideas?

~Drew
  • Have you tested if steps per mm are correct. If steps per mm is 2 times higher center is other side. With 4x it will even be outside print area. So check after homing M114 position and go e.g. 50mm and see how much it really moves.
  • edited January 2019
        I had my steps per mm set to 200  but I have dropped it all the way down to 20. Now it at least prints inside the print area but not quite in the middle. When purchasing these motors, it said that this,1.8 deg. step angle(200 steps/rev.) Maybe this doesn't correlate directly. Anyhow, it is at least on the bed now.

A new issue has arisen. My prints are unreasonably slow now. It will home at a good speed, go over to the print bed at a good speed, then just drop in speed and go extremely slow when actually printing or using manual control. I have Cura as my slicer and I have set my settings but no matter how I set them in Speed and Quality, it still runs extremely slow. When I change these settings up higher, it goes over to the print bed fast like it should, then slows back down, even though all the numbers are high. What may be causing this?

Very, very much appreciated.

~Drew
  • steps/mm calculator
    https://www.prusaprinters.org/calculator/

normal values
    1.8 deg(200 step) 1/16 micro stepping, GT2 2mm belt pitch, 20 tooth pully = 80 steps/mm
  • For speed test after updating steps per mm test
    G1 X0
    G1 X200 F6000
    That moves 100mm/s so should take 2 seconds + acceleration time. You can test with other speeds as well. If it works you know speeds are converted correctly. Make sure in host/server speed multiplier is at 100%!

Remember to save settings and reslice using a slicer. YOu should then see the F... parameter get increasing speeds.
  • edited January 2019
    I appreciate the help. I have now fixed my steps per millimeter. However, my second problem still exists. The ratio between homing speed and printing/manual speed. Homing is perfect and printing is very slow. What could be causing this? I have checked my Cura settings, they are equal to homing speed. It doesnt matter how fast I make the settings in cura it still goes so slow.

~Drew
  • Whats your settings for

#define MAX_FEEDRATE_X
    #define MAX_FEEDRATE_Y
    #define MAX_FEEDRATE_Z

?

• My settings are 60 and 60 for x and y. And 500 for Z. 

~Drew
  • Ah I figured it out! max volume per second. Thanks for all your help so far.

~Drew
  • the values in your eeprom seem pretty unusual...
    may i ask the real size of that printer?
    1.96 meters width?
    2.2 meters depth?
    and 500 meters tall?
  • edited January 2019
    I understand that the numbers may seem usual. The first two values you presented are correct but the third is not. I have the Z axis on a lead screw and for each layer I need to go up over a centimeter. But I still must retain the accuracy of the slice. I also have an unlimited Z axis that moves up and down externally outside of the lead screw. This is the reason for both of the high numbers. I can never have my Z axis stop functioning once it hits it's end point so the number is set to high. Because I move the entire printable area up in feet for larger projects. Does this make sense? I may not be explaining it very well.

~Drew
  • I understand that the numbers may seem usual. The first two values you presented are correct but the third is not. I have the Z axis on a lead screw and for each layer I need to go up over a centimeter. But I still must retain the accuracy of the slice. I also have an unlimited Z axis that moves up and down externally outside of the lead screw. This is the reason for both of the high numbers. I can never have my Z axis stop functioning once it hits it's end point so the number is set to high. Because I move the entire printable area up in feet for larger projects. Does this make sense? I may not be explaining it very well.

~Drew
    This sounds weird and amazing, any chance of a photo of your printer.

• MartinH said:
    This sounds weird and amazing, any chance of a photo of your printer.

Yes, that might be useful to follow up what you´re doing
  • Thank you. Sure, I will send some over in the next couple days. It is quite the feat.

~Drew