Z axis start / stop Jerking?

Hi,
new to 3d printing and worked my way through a few problem but have come across a new one. 

All of a sudden both z motors have started to stop and start. This can happen when moving up or down.

I would not say they are jerking as you can see in the video they stop and start both motors at the same time and there is a clunking noise. Happens when disconnected or connected to a laptop. Tried reloading old firmware with no luck. 

When both motors are stationary they made a slight grinding noise and if you turn the rods with power on they feel different to turning the x axis.

Printer is a Geeetech I3 Pro B W with GT2560 board.

Any thought would be great full.

Robert

Comments

• Hi,
    new to 3d printing and worked my way through a few problem but have come across a new one. 

All of a sudden both z motors have started to stop and start. This can happen when moving up or down.

I would not say they are jerking as you can see in the video they stop and start both motors at the same time and there is a clunking noise. Happens when disconnected or connected to a laptop. Tried reloading old firmware with no luck. 

When both motors are stationary they made a slight grinding noise and if you turn the rods with power on they feel different to turning the x axis.

Printer is a Geeetech I3 Pro B W with GT2560 board.

Any thought would be great full.

Robert
  • What do I see in video? Several z moves so I can hear the clonk?
    I woudl try reducing z acceleration to 50 and setting z jerk to 0.1. What you hear is the shock at accelerating from no move so being smoother here should reduce the sound.
  • You only need to change values in eeprom!
  • I tried adjusting z acceleration and jerk but it did not work. I ended up adjusting the voltage on the driver and so far so good.

I keep the z adjustment hoping for a better print quality.