Custom G-code before and after extruder switch, cool down inactive extruder

Hi,

I am doing dual extrusion printing. everything works fine, but I'd like to improve print quality and reduce unintentional nozzle wiping on the part. I am printing using a prime tower and ooze shield. The problem is that on prints with large surface areas, the ooze shield does not help much, because the dual extruders are mounted on the same carrage and rarely cross the ooze shield.

Does anybody have a working axample for allowing an inactive extruder to cool down when not in use? I would like to add this to the cura engine settings under Gcode, before extruder switch/ after extruder switch. For example; extruder T0 prints white at 230°C while extruder T1 black waits in idle at 180°C. After T0 has completed a layer, the printhead moves off the print (into the vicinity of the tower) the printer waits until T0 has cooled down to 180°C and T1 has heated to 230°C. Then T1 would prime the nozzle on the tower and proceed to print the layer in black. After T1 completes it's layer, the printhead moves off the print (into the vicinity of the tower) and the printer waits until T1 has cooled down to 180°C and T0 is back up to 230°C. T0 would then proceed printing the next layer.

I'm greatful for any help as I've been searching for a while now without success.

Thanks,
Russell

Comments

• The problem with CursaEngine is that there is only one change script and you can not query active extruder. But if both filaments have same printing temperature you can change old extruder temperature in deselect script

M104 S{TEMP0-20} ; Not sure if -20 will work!

In start script you can add

M109 S{TEMP0}

Problem is that you need to wait to wait now until target temp. is reached and that should not be done over the object a sit will melt a hole. So maybe first move to a save position and then change temperature.
  • Hey Russell, this is not so much a fix for your issue but more a question, just wondering what hotend it is that you are using as I am using a E3D Cyclops and having no luck with getting any dual extrusion prints to work as the second extruder won't push filament into the hot side of the hotend and just jams.
  • edited May 2018
    Repetier said:
    The problem with CursaEngine is that there is only one change script and you can not query active extruder. But if both filaments have same printing temperature you can change old extruder temperature in deselect script

M109 S{TEMP0}

Problem is that you need to wait to wait now until target temp. is reached and that should not be done over the object a sit will melt a hole. So maybe first move to a save position and then change temperature.
    Hi, Thanks for your suggestion, I tried that already without success. The temperatures do not change.

*Wait, I just realized that I wrote TEMP-20 instead of TEMP0-20, maybe that's the problem
  • Hey Russell, this is not so much a fix for your issue but more a question, just wondering what hotend it is that you are using as I am using a E3D Cyclops and having no luck with getting any dual extrusion prints to work as the second extruder won't push filament into the hot side of the hotend and just jams.
    Hi Bailey,

I'm using an FLSUN cube with dual individual extruders (mounted together on the same carriage, so not independant), not the cyclops.
  • Rusty3d said:
    Hey Russell, this is not so much a fix for your issue but more a question, just wondering what hotend it is that you are using as I am using a E3D Cyclops and having no luck with getting any dual extrusion prints to work as the second extruder won't push filament into the hot side of the hotend and just jams.
    Hi Bailey,

I'm using an FLSUN cube with dual individual extruders (mounted together on the same carriage, so not independant), not the cyclops.
    Ahhh alright thanks anyways mate, I seem to be unable to get my Cyclops hotend working and was wondering if anyone else might of had the same issue or similar. Thanks anyways and all the best.

Bailey
  • Repetier said:
    The problem with CursaEngine is that there is only one change script and you can not query active extruder. But if both filaments have same printing temperature you can change old extruder temperature in deselect script

M109 S{TEMP0}

I tryed it, it works great, thanks!!!