Repetier configuration tool and Full Graphic Smart Controller

Hi guys, 

I have been having a problem. I have a Rostock Mini Pro. I purchased it without an LCD screen, but looking around I discovered the Full Graphic Smart Controller from RepRap Discount and I thought it would be a nice addition. The problem is this:

When I configure the file through the firmware configuration tool online, I can use my LCD but the controls are all out of whack. I have a pre-configured file from the manufacturer of the printer, it is a Repetier Firmware modified for dimensions and recommended settings and the printer works great but the LCD doesn't. When I go into the LCD settings of the preconfigured file, I can't find the full smart controller, therefore I can't use, there's another controller, but it doesn't support full graphics, therefore it doesn't really work out for me. 

Is there a way to add support to my full graphic controller to my preconfigured file? I understand that the file that is generated by the configuration tool can only be generated and read from that tool and not from a preconfigured one made manually. Any help on this would be great.

Thanks!

Comments

• You could try setting the FEATURE_CONTROLLER to 11 and hope it was already in the config. But if your Rostock uses an other board them RAMPS or RUMBA you also need to change the pin settings in ui.h.

That said - don't use full graphic display with deltas and avr chips - they are quite slow and there will be places you will see stops due to missing computer power to keep calculating the moves. No problem with longer lines but many small one in a row can get you into troubles (ok non-optimal print quality).
  • Hi,
    currently I have an K8200/3drag with the original board and Marlin.
    But I'm planning to switch over to an Arduino Due with the Radds Board, the Repetier Firmware and 1/128 Stepperdrivers in X/Y.
    Additionally I wan't to connect this Display:
    http://www.lcd-module.de/deu/pdf/grafik/dogl128-6.pdf
    I bought this before, because it is supported by Marlin.
    Will I be able to get this running with Repetier-Firmware to?

Greets
    Daniel
  • Well, it is possible to get it running. But there is no predefined configuration for this. Easieast way would be to change feature controller 11 to include your pin selection without sd support (using the one on radds directly instead).
  • Rigo-
    I have the same display and the controls and display work well. with the repetier firmware. i was in the same situation. the "Optimized" firmware from the mfr. was anything but extruder jams etc. i wanted to be able to decompile it and get the original .ino profile but no dice. eventually i got a second AT2560 and started from scratch and tune from the start. i kept the original just in case

• i was unaware of a performance hit on prints with this display. its only 128x64 and doesn't have any fancy graphics. i know the version that ran the a touch screen was affected by that and is no longer recommended on RepRap becausethe touch interface processing was a lot for the arduino to handle in addition to the printer. are you sure thats not the display you were thinking of?
    i like the expanded menus and additional information it gives

• edited February 2015
    Dear Repetier,

is there possibility to reverse the encoder rotation? I mean that rotate to left side is menu up and rotate to right side is menu down. How can I do it?

Thank you for your reply.
  • Hello,

I have Ramps 1.4 Card, Reprapdiscount full graphic smart controller and Arduino Mega. I loaded Repetier Firmware but sraphic card doesnt work. What should i do in repetier configuration file uiconfig.h?
  • Setting FEATURE_CONTROLLER to 11 in configuration.g should suffice to get it running. Use 0.92.2 for faster speed of the display.
  • Thank u Repetier, it is working now :). I prefered Repetier to Marlin because it has its own host program. Marlin doesnt have unique host program. But this issue is important for me and now it is solved.
  • Hello Repetier,

I have:
    - Ramps 1.4 Board
    - Reprap LCD12864 Graphic Matrix Display Module
    - Arduino Mega

I loaded Repetier Firmware (v0.91 from Github) and when i change the FEATURE_CONTROLLER to 11, or any other number apart from 0 and 1, I get the following error below on my Arduino 1.6.5 IDE:

------------------
    ui.cpp: In member function 'void UIDisplay::adjustMenuPos()':
    ui.cpp:2016: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of 'type name' with no type [-fpermissive]
         uint8_t mtype = HAL::readFlashByte((const prog_char*)&(men->menuType));
                                                   ^
    ui.cpp:2016: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of 'type name' with no type [-fpermissive]
    ui.cpp:2016: error: expected primary-expression before 'const'
                                             ^
    ui.cpp:2016: error: expected ')' before 'const'
    ui.cpp: In member function 'void UIDisplay::nextPreviousAction(int8_t)':
    ui.cpp:2083: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of 'type name' with no type [-fpermissive]
                                                   ^
    ui.cpp:2083: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of 'type name' with no type [-fpermissive]
    ui.cpp:2083: error: expected primary-expression before 'const'
                                             ^
    ui.cpp:2083: error: expected ')' before 'const'
    ui.cpp:2087: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of 'type name' with no type [-fpermissive]
         uint8_t entType = HAL::readFlashByte((const prog_char*)&(ent->menuType));// 0 = Info, 1 = Headline, 2 = submenu ref, 3 = direct action command
                                                     ^
    ui.cpp:2087: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of 'type name' with no type [-fpermissive]
    ui.cpp:2087: error: expected primary-expression before 'const'
         uint8_t entType = HAL::readFlashByte((const prog_char*)&(ent->menuType));// 0 = Info, 1 = Headline, 2 = submenu ref, 3 = direct action command
                                               ^
    ui.cpp:2087: error: expected ')' before 'const'
    ISO C++ forbids declaration of 'type name' with no type [-fpermissive]
    ------------------------

If i select 1, and then i navigate to uiconfig.h and then try to change UI_DISPLAY_TYPE to anything except for 0 i get the same error as above.

May i please know what should i do to get the LCD working? Also, how do i get the SD Card support working?

Thank you!
  • 0.91 was developed with older compiler. SO use Arduino IDE 1.0.6 to compile with it or use 0.92.3 for 1.6.5 compilation.
  • Anyone here can help me to configure this LCD with arduino due and smart ramps board?

Thanks
  • Hi roberto, i have a bunch of different controllers and setups like this. sometimes the support boards for the display have been pinned in reverse, or have been swapped left to right. it may require a bit of careful multimeter work to determine if this is the case. remember, even if you set the incorrect display type from the list, you should still have serial/usb host control and can chose another similar display and upload a new config.h and try again. with the standard display types before you have to into custom land.
    i hope it helps.
  • Check ui.h in latest 0.92 for Sparklab LCD. It is only the display and encode part, but it is the same display. All you need to do is modify pin numbers for your board according to your connection. Also check if some pins require 5V e.g. for led.
  • i have the exact same setup
    here is my config.h
    i believe the full graphics controller encoder speed must be set to slowest speed to work correctly.
    dont enable sd support in the config tool. the display selection will support it, enabling both can cause problems i think
    /

#ifndef CONFIGURATION_H
    #define CONFIGURATION_H

This file is optimized for version 0.92

#ifndef SDSUPPORT  // Some boards have sd support on board. These define the values already in pins.h
    #define SDSUPPORT 0
    #define SDCARDDETECT -1
    #define SDCARDDETECTINVERTED 0
    #define SD_EXTENDED_DIR 1 /** Show extended directory including file length. Don't use this with Pronterface! */
    #define SD_RUN_ON_STOP ""
    #define SD_STOP_HEATER_AND_MOTORS_ON_STOP 1
    #define ARC_SUPPORT 1
    #define FEATURE_MEMORY_POSITION 1
    #define FEATURE_CHECKSUM_FORCED 0
    #define FEATURE_FAN_CONTROL 1
    #define FEATURE_CONTROLLER 11
    #define UI_LANGUAGE 0
    #define UI_PRINTER_NAME "D.U.M.M.Y."
    #define UI_PRINTER_COMPANY "Stark Ent."
    #define UI_PAGES_DURATION 4000
    #define UI_ANIMATION 1
    #define UI_SPEEDDEPENDENT_POSITIONING 0
    #define UI_DISABLE_AUTO_PAGESWITCH 1
    #define UI_AUTORETURN_TO_MENU_AFTER 36000
    #define FEATURE_UI_KEYS 0
    #define UI_ENCODER_SPEED 2
    #define UI_REVERSE_ENCODER 0
    #define UI_KEY_BOUNCETIME 10
    #define UI_KEY_FIRST_REPEAT 500
    #define UI_KEY_REDUCE_REPEAT 50
    #define UI_KEY_MIN_REPEAT 50
    #define FEATURE_BEEPER 0
    #define CASE_LIGHTS_PIN -1
    #define CASE_LIGHT_DEFAULT_ON 1
    #define UI_START_SCREEN_DELAY 1000
    #define UI_DYNAMIC_ENCODER_SPEED 1
            /**
    Beeper sound definitions for short beeps during key actions
    and longer beeps for important actions.
    Parameter is delay in microseconds and the secons is the number of repetitions.
    Values must be in range 1..255
    */
    #define BEEPER_SHORT_SEQUENCE 2,2
    #define BEEPER_LONG_SEQUENCE 8,8
    #define UI_SET_PRESET_HEATED_BED_TEMP_PLA 60
    #define UI_SET_PRESET_EXTRUDER_TEMP_PLA   190
    #define UI_SET_PRESET_HEATED_BED_TEMP_ABS 110
    #define UI_SET_PRESET_EXTRUDER_TEMP_ABS   240
    #define UI_SET_MIN_HEATED_BED_TEMP  30
    #define UI_SET_MAX_HEATED_BED_TEMP 120
    #define UI_SET_MIN_EXTRUDER_TEMP   170
    #define UI_SET_MAX_EXTRUDER_TEMP   260
    #define UI_SET_EXTRUDER_FEEDRATE 2
    #define UI_SET_EXTRUDER_RETRACT_DISTANCE 3

• @Repetier

Thank you very much for your advice:
    "0.91 was developed with older compiler. SO use Arduino IDE 1.0.6 to
    compile with it or use 0.92.3 for 1.6.5 compilation."

The LCD
    Screen worked really well! with no modifications to the LCD firmware
    required and we managed to get our very first test print made on our
    Delta 3D printer last Sunday (http://i.imgur.com/JciI2Nt.jpg)

Although
    we need to make some few adjustments such as the filament extruder was
    slipping, also we could only print PLA at 240deg C (and above), which is
    very strange.

Thank you once again :)
  • edited April 2018
    Hello to all people, my name is Daniel and I'm from Barcelona. I address all of you because 7 months ago I made my first cartesian printer with arduino mega, ramps 1.4, full graphic smart controller and Marlin 1.1.8 and everything works for me and no problem.
        The fact is that 3 weeks ago my girlfriend gave me an arduino DUE and smart ramps for due and I'm not able to run the lcd, full graphic smart controller with Repetier for DUE, I do not know if I'm not doing it right or it's because it simply is not possible. Could someone throw a cable with this issue and if it is not too much trouble to reveal the subject? Thanks in advance world.
  • I'm pretty sure we have no predefined settings in DisplayList.h for this combination. That means the pin settings will not match.

I'm also not familiar with smart ramps and it's differences. But due is 3.3V while Mega 2560 is a 5V processor, so many pins also work on different voltage. There is also 5V available on some pins but not on all. Especially direct input/output pins are 3.3V. So you need to at least check which pins are used and if they match/should work with display and set them in displaylist. Display has normally only inputs so signal pins sending 3.3 will be detected as high, that is no problem. And if you use a 5V pin for display power lights/processors should work. Not sure about sd card as that requires 3.3V and your display has a level shifter 5V->3.3V inside but now you get 3.3. So if it shifts 3.3V->3.3V everything is ok. Or just do not use sd card then just do not set sd card support.
  • edited April 2018
    First of all thank you for answering but I also think it is something more complicated, since there are a number of pins related to full graphic smart controller, starting with a pin called MOSI that are necessary, but these are not connected when you join the arduino. with the smart ramps for due. I do not suppose that I will have to divide all the pins of the connectors of full graphic smart controller and connect them one by one to the smart ramps for due, although this gives me enough respect, since I would not like to burn the DUE chip that works at 3.3 v
  • I agree it is difficult. I also would google if someone had solved this combination.
    Many boards have some special displays they are prepared to work with like RADDS with RADDS Display or Sparklab display for RADDS. Most can be made working as it is just defining the right mapping but there are millions of possible board/display combinations so not all can be predefined.
  • edited April 2018
    Thank you for responding a second time and I feel the last answer. I am very nervous lately, I am a single father and yesterday my daughter was discharged from the hospital due to a serious infection + other personal things. The fact is that I just started in this field and due to circumstances have led me to this configuration: Arduino DUE + Smart ramps for DUE + Smart BLTouch + full graphic smart controller or MKS tft32. As I said I'm not an expert but on YouTube I've seen people who managed to make DUE, Motherboard (?) + Full graphic smart controller with Repetier although they are videos from 0'30 to 1'50sec in length so they do not seem true or viable , to the contrary.