Arduino Due will upload Repetier firmware from Arduino IDE but wont run on DUE/RADDS

Hi there. I'd appreciate any help I can get as, right now I am at a loss.

Vellemann K8200 Repetier firmware on a RADDS shield with the RADDS LCD controller installed.

I had an Arduino Due clone board working with Repetier. For some reason during a print the clone board fried the CPU... No idea why!

I checked the power rails from the RADDS board to the Arduino at the pins and I was getting the voltages expected in the right places (3.3V and 5V). I thought maybe a component on the RADDS had gone wrong, but it appears not.

I bought an original Arduino Due and uploaded the working firmware from the previous board. 

The upload completed with no problems. My Due now has the Green (ON) LED lit and the Orange (L) LED lit when connected to my macbook via USB post successful upload (not connected to RADDS)

If I connect to RADDS the firmware doesn't run. The LCD display shows two horizontal bars and does nothing else. When I reset the arduino with the reset buttons on it and on the RADDS board the printer jolts as it did before, but repetier sees the board when a connection is opened but states "Unknown Firmware waiting for temp"

Am I missing something here? The Repetier firmware I have uploaded was a working configuration and It has not been changed, so it should just work when uploaded to the new controller right?

Can anyone help me please :)

Thank you in advance.

Thom

Comments

• So you are still using the old RADDS board? If the eeprom on radds board got also fried it will not work any more and firmware does not start. Set EEPROM_MODE 0 in configuration.h and try again and see if it works. If it does you know eeprom chip is also defect. Maybe more but that is essential as it can block if defect.
  • A little late, but...

I just encountered this as well.  I purchased new Dues (I think I'm up to three, including an 'original').  None of the replacement Dues would work.  The firmware installed properly (newly configured and known-working), but same horizontal two bars would appear and nothing else.  Setting EEPROM to 0 did not change the situation.

What got the controller to start partially working, at least to the point that Repetier would start, was to load another Sketch (Blink, in my case) to the board and Reset it.  Once Blink ran, I re-installed Repetier (with EEPROM 1) and Reset the board. 

Simplify3D sees the USB port, but won't connect to it.

Regardless, that's what I did to get past the two horizontal bars.
  • And a little more...

New Due - first Sketch I tried to load to it was a known, working Repetier firmware.  The load was successful but Repetier did not start (two bars).

Loaded Blink - that worked.

Tried Repetier with EEPROM 0

That worked.

Tried Repetier with EEPROM 1

That *looked* like it worked, but didn't.  The display was frozen.

Putting back EEPROM 0 did nothing - the machine was locked and wouldn't even respond to Reset.  Had to load Blink again and then Repetier with EEPROM 0.

So, what would fry a new, fresh out of the anti-static bag, Due's EEPROM when connecting it to a Mac's USB port and loading Repetier?  Three of them, for that matter?

And: Still no connectivity to Simplify3D.

Version .92.9.

Anyway, I'm not looking for answers, just adding more spice to the soup.  If I can get the RADDS to print again via SD, that will be good enough for me.
  • Thank you - I'll give this a try!
  • Due has no eeprom, so if you have eeprom support enabled you need to have the board mounted with radds that has the I2C chip for eeprom on it. It uses I2C and that block forever if not present.

Also some due clones might hang on first startup when getting power due to a wrong capacitor, but that seems not the problem here.
  • Correct.  When I have the RADDS module plugged in, with the LCD, it hangs with EEPROM = 1 (or 2).  A few months ago, when this first happened, I modified the firmware so it would report where the failure was (result: EEPROM was not responding).  Maybe my RADDS is bad?  I don't know.  Either way, EEPROM = 0 is just fine with me now.  I'll patch 16U2 just in case it helps restore connectivity to Simplify3D.
  • Updating the firmware of the 16U2 allowed both EEPROM <> 0 and Simplify3D to work.  Since the RADDS board isn't connected to any sensors, it is chirping away about missing temperatures, so that's good.  I'm going to update the spare board and perform the necessary maintenance.