Filament change mid print not working

I want to change a filament at a particular layer (colour change) when I insert M600 into the g code at the layer I want to change the filament, nothing happens. It prints as if nothing has happened. Is there something better have to activate?

Comments

• M600 only works with a firmware controlled lcd. 

If you print using repetier-server or host you can simply add a 
    ;@pause Message
    where you want to pause. The server/host will go into pause mode at that position.
  • I print from an SD card and I use my LCD to control prints. So yes I want to change the gcode before I insert the SD card so the print pauses at a particular layer and then restart the print from the LCD. But when I insert M600 at the correct layer in the gcode with text editor and then print nothing happens. What do I need to do to get this command to work? Thanks
  • I am sending it as a post processing script in simplify 3D and the code is changed at the correct level in the gcode (I have checked).
  • check your configuration.h for if Feature Retraction is enabled

#define FEATURE_RETRACTION 1

if this doesn´t fix it try

M24 to pause / M25 to continue
  • Ok Thanks I didn't have that enabled in my config.h so will try later.

Do I need to 'Enable G10/G11 retraction and filament change and allow jam detection' in the config tool.
    It seems to have settings for filament change i.e homing, X Y head positions etc, but the G10/11: "This feature allows slicers to use the commands G10 and G11 for retracting and undo retracts instead of adding the moves on their own. These parameters can be changed in EEPROM later. Autoretraction converts pure E moves into G10/G11. For that reason it is when enabled not possible to extrude with only E axis. So if you want to use it, I would suggest to enable/disable it with M209 S1 and M209 S0 in the slicers start and end g-code so it is normally disabled. So i wasn't keen on activating this????

Thanks again for your reply
  • I´m not familiar with the use of G10/G11

just went through the code and saw that M600 Needs Feature retraction  and UIcontroller to get  active

• No, G10/G11 is not needed. It is only used internally to handle filament change. gcode can still do what it wants so G10/G11 or slicer controlled retractions.
  • Thanks will try this. Fingers crossed.
  • Success. Thank you!

I want to put the layer on my LCD screen. With M117 however it only briefly flashes on is there a way to keep it permanently on the screen for prints where the filament to be changed so I can monitor via web cam.
  • tpbh said:
    Success. Thank you!

I want to put the layer on my LCD screen. With M117 however it only briefly flashes on is there a way to keep it permanently on the screen for prints where the filament to be changed so I can monitor via web cam.
    I haven't tried it yet (I'm in the middle of a large/long print), but I'm adding the ability to specify the text (as you would in the M117 command) to the M600 (Filament Change) command.

M600 Load Blue Filament

In theory, this would update the "status" (after the Filament Change menu is displayed) to "Load Blue Filament"...

I'll update the post, if the change (hack) works!
  • tpbh said:
    Success. Thank you!

I haven't tried it yet (I'm in the middle of a large/long print), but I'm adding the ability to specify the text (as you would in the M117 command) to the M600 (Filament Change) command.

M600 Load Blue Filament

In theory, this would update the "status" (after the Filament Change menu is displayed) to "Load Blue Filament"...

I'll update the post, if the change (hack) works!
    I was successful in adding "comments" to the M600 command (like M117).

With this change, one can pass "comments" as described above.

The only caveat, is the "comment" remains when you exit from the Filament Change menu...
    You can, of course, follow your M600 with an M117 to set a new (or blank) comment in the status line.
  • NOW, I've purchased an Optical Filament Out Sensor (connected to RAMPS 1.4/MEGA 2560 Digital Pin 5).

I've checked the voltage on the D5 pin (+5VDC when no filament passes through sensor, 0VDC with filament).

I've got:
    #define FEATURE_RETRACTION 1
    #define EXT0_JAM_PIN 5
    #define JAM_METHOD 2
    #define JAM_ACTION 1

If I issue G1 E1 (with or without filament), nothing changes

M603 correctly simulates filament out...

Any thoughts what I'm doing wrong for filament out detection while printing (G1 E1)?
  • At least with JAM_METHOD 0 I need to always send
    M513
    so next signal triggers. So maybe you need the same. I have this at various places e.g. continue print script in server set. Also jam control must be enabled
    M602 S<1/0> P<1/0>- Debug jam control (S) Disable jam control (P). If enabled
    it will log signal changes and will not trigger jam errors!
    M602 P0
    should enable it.